What do you need to have on hand?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Tia loves her Trinity!
After reading the info you girls gave me, I'm so excited about breastfeeding! But it seems like for every answer I find to one of my questions, another question pops into mind. I'm going to the library this week to hopefully find at least one of the books that was recommended. In the meantime, I'm lurking on this board for info. My most recent question is:

What are some useful things to have on hand during the first weeks of breastfeeding?

Also, I've read about Fenugreek on a few different sites and the tea you use to increase your supply. It seems that alot of moms have gotten results from one or both of them for the most part. My question is how soon can you start taking/drinking them? Right after delivery? Do you have to wait a little bit?

August 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I wouldn't take anything for your supply until you need it. In the beginning, your body is starting to regulate your supply. You don't want things like herbal supplements or pumps effecting how much milk you produce. It should be determined by your baby and how much she is eating.

It's hard to do, but trust your body! It will do what it needs to do. I think nowadays we worry so much about supply issues and feel like we need to pump, take supplements, and drink teas, but I think if we just trust our bodies and listen to our babies and feed them on demand, things should be okay, at least in the beginning! It seems like people start running into supply issues when they try and put their babies on a schedule, or go back to work and start pumping, or aren't eating/drinking enough.

Some things that helped me starting out were to set up a nursing station (someplace where you will spend most of your time, in front on the TV was where I ended up!) Get a foot stool or ottoman to prop your feet up on while feeding, a big Nalgene bottle with cold water (you will get so thirsty when you nurse!), some healthy snacks in a box next to you to munch on while nursing, a goo dbook or magazines, etc. I also loved the brestfriend pillow much much more than the boppy pillow.
August 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I totally agree.
I know some moms are comfortable nursing wherever they happen to be, but I had a tough start and needed a place I could concentrate, so I set up a nursing station near her crib in our bedroom.
I have my glider and ottoman and two side tables.
One table has a basket full of lanolin cream, burp cloths, breast pads, gas drops and extra recieving blankets (in the beginning I had to strip Matilda to get her awake enough to nurse, but sometimes she would get going but get really cold and I didn't want to stop so I started keeping the blankets to cover her up if I needed to).
On the other table I keep a bowl of granola bars, banannas and apples and bottles of water. I swear I was nursing so much in the beginning that if I didn't have that stuff I wouldn't have been able to eat at all!
I also got a universal remote for the tv to keep by my nursing chair so it was always there. It was so frustrating to get started and then realize the remote you needed was across the room so I just got a second one to always have on hand.

And I really prefer the mybrestfriend pillow to the boppy too, I love it, actually.

Best of luck with your breastfeeding!

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (1)

August 18th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think Lansinoh (Lanolin), breast pads, water, good nursing bras and a breastfeeding pillow are essential. I had the My Breastfriend pillow with dd and did not like it and this time had the Boppy and love it. I suggest going and trying some out
August 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Tia loves her Trinity!
Oooh, I never would have thought about snacks...

I already know I'm gonna be self-conscious in the beginning and I'm probably gonna want everyone to go away and leave us alone until I get the hang of it. I already have an idea where I could set up my nursing station!

August 19th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I been breastfeeding for 6 months and I still have questions

ITA with the other girls. What I mostly had was my pillow at first, the tv remotes and the coffee table to put my foot on with a glass of water.

August 19th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My list of must-haves for a new nursing mom:

1. Numbers for several lacatation consultants and your local La Leche League
2. A good breastfeeding book (or website, I like Kellymom.com for breastfeeding information)
3. A comfortable nursing bra (My favorite for new nursing moms: http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?View...Category_Id=15)
4. A few nursing pads to start with, you never know if you might leak
5. A nursing pillow, like the Boppy
6. A nipple cream like Lansinoh

The main thing is that you are comfortable, get some rest and take it easy for at least the first few weeks.

ETA: Jen's post reminded me, the TV was my best friend! I could have cared less about having a TV in the bedroom until DD was born. I would turn it on and turn the sound down in the middle of the night while I nursed DD, to give me something to do. DH sleeps like a rock, so he didn't notice and it helped keep me awake so I could put her back in bed when she was done.

Expecting baby #4!

August 19th, 2008, 06:30 PM
*~LuckyCharms~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
~Boppy! I loved the Boppy and recommend it to everyone! It really helped me get just the right position for nursing!
~Lansinoh nipple cream....for the first two weeks I was in SEVERE pain from nursing but I used that every time......after two weeks the pain was nonexistent!
~Water and snacks
~ Breast pump

That's all I needed! I never even used a nursing bra, but I never had to NIP, either!

Thanks to cavewoman for my adorable siggy!

August 20th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the tv and remote!! The first 6 weeks or so I relied on the tv to give me light and entertainment for the middle of the night feedings and diaper changes. Thank goodness for Nick at Night!!
August 20th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with PP TV was a must have... I actually made DH order me some movie channels cause I got tired of having nothing to wath. I needed it to keep my mind off of post partum (it was ugly)

The nursing pillow
Nipple Cream... I like Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter best (it's not sticky and is all natural)
Water
and the phone. I couldnt stand to hear it keep ringing. If I didnt want to answer I could hit ignore and not listen to it.

(1)
August 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Before our first son was born we mounted a tv to the wall for me to watch during night feedings. I's been a great help!
August 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am so happy that you have decided to give breastfeeding a try!

its funny how everyone says that the TV is a must have in the beginning because in the beginning i didn't watch ANY tv at all!! i was so in love and i just wanted to watch dd while she nursed. then after about 3 weeks the tv was vital.

i do agree that a comfy chair, water, snacks, a breastfeeding pillow, and nursing pads are definitely essential.

i didn't nurse in front of anyone except df and my mom in the beginning...once you get the hang out it it becomes easier to nurse in from of people.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 22nd, 2008, 01:12 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
nursing bra- especially for NIP, however I'v e used a regular bra and while not as convenient for me, it wasn't too difficult either
breast pads - definate need for me. Though now I don't need them as often
water bottles - I keep a 2.5 gallon thing of water in my fridge and I have a sports bottle that I fill whenever it gets close to empty for nursing and whatnot. I get really thirsty when nursing, and sometimes I ask DS for water but usually I have it right there with me
boppy- great for getting a good position
heat/cold packs
TV - I use it for lighting mostly
Lanisoh - I have so far only used it in the shower when my nipples were really tender but it helped
a nursing sling - for me this is essential because I'm always chasing my 2 yr old around, or helping my 6 yr old with an activity or walking him to school at the same time Joey gets hungry.
August 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Tia loves her Trinity!
Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies! I've compiled a little list so I won't forget any of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search