Pumping Troubles

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Ma-2-Thing 1-2-n-3's Avatar Leslie ~ 2 boys ~ 1 girl
I have never posted on this board before but I need help...

So when I sit down to pump I am lucky if I get 1 oz. The first time I pumped last week I got 1.5 oz and that is pushing it. Today I got maybe a 1/2 an oz if I am lucky. My husband is mad because he wants me to go to some stupid retirement at his work. I have tried pumping and get some dam frustrated. I am almost in tears. I have a manual and a electric medela pump. It was like this when I had DS. My milk supply is much better with her than with Ds, but I still can't pump to save my life. She has her wet diapers and many poops, but I can't pump. I feel like a failure as her mother. And if my husband tells me one more time to feed her a f- in bottle I am gonna choke him!!! Lovely support I have.

So now I am second guessing myself wondering if she needs a bottle because she nurses on demand and sometimes every 1 hr 30 mins. Even at night. But she can go up to 3 hours without eating and yes she is happy after nursing unless it is between the hours of 7-11pm, but she is normally a lil monster at those hours.

Any suggestions. Thanks in advance!!!
August 18th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Dont second guess yourself... You are doing great as long as she has those wet and poopy diapers... The pump is different for everyone. Some respond really well to it and others dont...

Here are a few tricks I do that I have pretty good results with...

When you breast feed do you offer both breasts per feeding or just one?
If you only offer 1 then I would pump the other while feeding her. This always helps me to yeild more milk than just pumping alone. Since the baby is more effective in helping acheive a let down this might help you.

Also I will look at pics of my son and even sometimes take his pajamas that he slept in the night before to work with me and smell them while I pump.

How long are you pumping? Double pumping is more effective than single pumping (unless the baby is attached to the other boob)

I get the most out of the first 5-7 mins. I pump a full 15 mins though. If I do not get a second let down in that 15 mins I will take a 2-3 min break, massage my breasts and then pump for another 5 mins. A second let down usually helps to get me another 1/2 oz per breast. While it isnt a lot it all adds up...

Also what time of day are you pumping? Most women have a better supply in the morning than the evening... Also how long after a feeding are you pumping? This can have an effect on how much you get as well...
How long are you needing to be away from your LO (basically how much milk are you needing to get for this outing)?

HTH. PM me with any questions. I am a self proclaimed pumping expert since I do it 3-4 times a day when at work and 1 time per day when home with baby. I started pumping before I went back to build a stash and wasnt getting much but was able to save 5 ozs a day before I went back and ended up with a stash of just over 100 ozs in the freezer. Now I have over 400 ozs in the freezer. Some days are better than others but I always pump enough to send to daycare and have a bit extra to put in the freezer...

(1)
August 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you having a letdown when you are pumping? Are you stressed while you are doing it? I find you really have to sit back and relax to get a letdown and good flow going. It is easiest to pump one side while nursing on the other.

Here are some great links pumping...
http://www.workandpump.com/pumping.htm#Better_Pumping
http://www.breastpumps.com/Articles.asp?ID=151
http://www.pumpingmoms.org/faq-letdown.html
http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr03p64.html
August 19th, 2008, 06:34 PM
*~LuckyCharms~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to wish you luck! I NEVER had much luck pumping....I could only get about 2 ounces at a time, no matter what I did! So when he started eating more I would just give him formula on the rare occasion that he needed a bottle. I know that's not what they recommend here but I didn't have a problem giving him formula 1-2 times a week!

Thanks to cavewoman for my adorable siggy!

August 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Dont worry, Im like that too. Ive been "trying" to pump for months now and I can't get much either. I started taking FenuGreek and thats helped a bit, If you want to try that. My LO nurse's on demand too and It's every 1 1/2 also, so that doesn't give me much time to pump. Ill pump for 30 mins and get 1 maybe 2 oz's...I know how you feel.
August 21st, 2008, 12:09 AM
.adi.
The thing that I do that really gets my milk flowing is pumping on one side while baby is nursing on the other. Your milk will naturally let down on both sides and you'd be surprised at how much milk you get like that. It is a bit uncomfortable, but she is still so small that it might be easier than doing this with a one year old. Also, when my pump isn't getting anything out of me, I manually express. Sometimes your fingers will do the trick better than the pump. And it sounds funny, but play with your nipple when manually expressing! It get the milk going!
August 21st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What I started doing was everytime she eats, I pump the other side. I have a manual. I dont really try, I just get what comes out easily. I doubled the amount I was getting a day. I get about 4oz's first thing in the morning. By pumping each feeding, I can get 9 - 12ozs. I even started waking up engorged again!! I dont do it every single feeding anymore, but it got my freezer stash started

August 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I could never pump much in the first couple months, and my son would nurse all the time, especially at night. I've been pumping since I started work in Jan and so far have always had enough milk for the next day. Stress can really stop the milk from flowing, especially if you're trying to pump right before going somewhere. I think 1-2 oz is pretty good in the first few months unless you're really productive. I know I've read a lot of posts on here where that's what a lot of moms get. Don't stress too much about it, just keep trying. The ladies already gave you some good ideas, but if worse comes to worse, a couple oz of formula won't hurt anything if you have to go somehwere (IMO).
August 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Regular
Hi pumping can be very frustrating. Having a good quality pump makes all the difference. The upper end medelas are supposed to be very good though. I was never coordinated to nurse and pump at the same time but some tips that helped get the milk flowing: 1.Pump every morning. Your milk supply will be higher. 2. Set the dials for high speed (quick cycling) at first to help stimulate let down. Once let down kicks in you can turn the dial back. 3. Massage/knead your breasts with your fingers while you hold the phlanges (it takes some practice but it is the single best thing that helped me up my milk yield). 4. Lean forward while you pump, use gravity to draw the milk towards the nipple. 5. warm compresses on the breast before pumping (or taking a shower) may help dilate the ducts and increase milk flow. Good luck with everything!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search