What am I doing wrong?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JCmomtotwoboys
My daughter will be 3 weeks this week and I have been breastfeeding her and she has also been getting formula due to jaundice.Her Jaundice has gone away so she gets the occasional bottle of formula when were out or when I'm completely sleep deprived and DH will get up to feed her.

So the first two weeks everything was going well she would latch on without a problem and she can go from breast to bottle without any problems as well. I wasnt having any problems with my milk coming in up until last week Friday I noticed a decline from pumping 3-4 oz to barely getting 2 oz and sometimes only getting 1 oz if that .I panicked and started back up on eating oatmeal and drinking water religiously also breastfeeding her more often, that seemed to help and I was able to start pumping about 3oz each time as well. But now here Iam only pumping about 1oz to 1.5 oz again. I am very frustrated by this as I plan on completely taking her off of the formula once I have a stash going that way DH or my mom can then feed her a bottle of breastmilk when i cant breastfeed her not to mention I run a in home childcare which I just opened up again yesterday. I was so upset by this I told DH if it wasnt for our bills I would have shut my business down so I could tend to my daughters need without a problem and right now thats just not possible so im trying to figure the easiest and the best way for me to feed my daughter what she deserves.

Also her Dr. told me last week she seems to be on a growthspurt due to her feeding schedule and sleep pattern not to mention she has been alot fussier these days and that hasnt made things any easier for the both of us because when she gets like this i dont know if its because shes not getting enough of my milk or what. Any help, advice ,tips would be greatly appreciated as I dont want to give up now when everything was going so well.
~~ Jessica ~~
August 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would discontinue all bottles until your milk supply increases. The pump is not as effective at removing milk from the breast as a baby. Milk supply is based off supply and demand. The more you take out the more your body will make. Not removing as much, skipping feedings and giving formula when the baby could be nursing will lower your supply. To get some sleep I recommend you learn how to side nurse. Have you DH bring your baby to you in bed and nurse while you sleep. The first few months are hard, but you can do it.

Also try not to worry. Worrying will also make your supply decrease very quickly.

Lastly try to nurse your newborn every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and offer both sides at each feeding. If your baby won't nurse both sides, nurse on one side and pump the other. Stimulation at the breast is the best way to increase your supply.

Good luck!

August 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
If you are nursing also pumping 1-1.5 ozs is really good. When I pump at night (an hour or 2 after she nurses) I usually only pump around 2 ozs and my LO is much older than yours. Plus pumping is so inefficient, I would not use how much you are pumping to measure your supply. At her age I would drop the pumping and just nurse nurse nurse. If you are worried about her getting enough milk count diapers. Here is some info on that and some other good info at Kelly Mom. It sounds like you are doing just fine, trust is yourself and keep on nursing!

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
August 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For now, cutting out all bottles and nursing on demand should increase your supply. Some woman are much more sensitive to changes when it comes to thier supply. If things aren't consistent and the baby is getting a bottle one or more times a day, it can have an effect on supply. Are you also pumping at the times that she gets a bottle? That's important to keeping your supply up. If you miss a feeding, it signals your body to produce less. If you also haven't set a specific feeding or time for the bottles, your supply will have a hard time determining what to produce and when.
Andrea, mom to 3 beautiful girls - Abigail (8) Annabelle (6) and Alexis (3)

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search