Supply/Demand Question

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pump at 5am, 12:30pm, nurse at 5pm, 9pm.

My 9pm supply SUCKS. I am empty after about 5 min and have to give him BM in a bottle.
I have started pumping after he nurses to help increase supply. I am also taking fengreek.

2 questions: DO I HAVE to pump more throughout the day and night to have more milk at 9pm? I have plenty the other times I pump and feed.
AND, a lady I work with was telling me that my son will quit wanting to nurse now that he is taking a bottle twice during the day.
August 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Karlie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know anything about pumping, but I know that introducing bottles can cause nipple confusion when the baby rejects the breast in favour of the bottle teat but I don't know anybody that that has happened to.

August 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I pump at 5am, 12:30pm, nurse at 5pm, 9pm.

My 9pm supply SUCKS. I am empty after about 5 min and have to give him BM in a bottle.
I have started pumping after he nurses to help increase supply. I am also taking fengreek.

2 questions: DO I HAVE to pump more throughout the day and night to have more milk at 9pm? I have plenty the other times I pump and feed.
AND, a lady I work with was telling me that my son will quit wanting to nurse now that he is taking a bottle twice during the day.[/b]
Supply tends to be lower in the evenings, your body is tired from the day! My evening supply is less as well. The best time to pump is in the morning, which you are doing at 5 am. Is it possible to pump maybe 3 times a day? If he is only nursing for a short time in the evening he's probably not sending a signal to your body to make more.

It's possible that he may prefer the bottle because he won't have to work as hard for the milk, it all depends on him. How many times a day does he nurse and how many times does he get a bottle? I'd try to keep it even, or more nursing if possible!

I was gone and Lukas got bottles for 6.5 days and I was a little worried, but I came home and we're still going strong!

August 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My evening supply has always been lower, which is common in most breastfeeding moms.

As for the bottles, I do think babies who take bottles are more likely to wean earlier or to have a nursing strike and quit nursing because of a nipple preference. There is absolutely no way to know if your baby will do either of these though and I've seen many exceptions to the rule.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search