Working moms, how often do you pump?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Regular
My baby had been eating about every 3 hours, and he took about 4 oz. I was feeding him at 6:30 before work, pumping at 9:30 am, feeding him at lunch, pumping at 2:30 pm, and feeding him after work. So I was pumping or feeding every 3 hours and it was working well.

He has just started to want to eat more like every 5 or 6 hours, and he will take 6 oz or more. I'm afraid that pumping every 3 hours is too much and I won't have enough milk when it's time for me to feed him. But, I'm afraid if I don't pump at all while I'm at work (just feed him before, at lunch, and after work) that my supply will decrease. I just wonder how some of you other full-time working moms work out the breastfeeding and how often you pump.

Thanks.

August 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I pump every 3 hours. I work too far from the daycare to be able to feed him at lunch. You could probably do either way. Since it is supply and demand your body should adjust. If you like having extra milk on hand for if you ever need to go out, I would keep the pumping session.

HTH

(1)
August 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been working 8-3 and I started out pumping twice while at work, around 10am and 1pm. In order to have enough milk I also pumped in the night. After a couple months, I was able to pump enough at work so I could stop pumping at night. I was still able to freeze some milk too. Now I'm actually down to pumping once a day at work, and that's it, but I plan to start supplementing with whole milk once he's a year. I'm getting about 8-10 oz during the day and he drinks 12-14, so I'm sending a bag of frozen milk to cover the rest.
August 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I pump every 3 hours, but he has started waiting about 5 hours between meals while I am at work (but every 2 or so when I get home). I still pump every 3 though, because he eats almost 5 oz from the bottle and I am only pumping between 3 and 5 each session.
August 23rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Regular
DS is now 13 months and I no longer pump at work. But when I first went back this is what I did: I did not breastfeed during the day in between pumpings (daycare was off site). But I work 7a to 3p and our schedule was as follows: Wake up and pump (your milk supply is highest in the morning) about 6oz. Then breastfeed DS before daycare. Then pump at 9am and 1pm. Breastfeed after daycare at 3:30. This worked extremely well for us for several months. He was never supplemented, because in time I was pumping 18 to 24oz a day between the 3 feedings. I also had a frozen stash on hand from pumping weekend mornings for those days when it just didn't want to come out! Kudos for pumping for your little one, it is extremely overwhelming at first to juggle, but once you get the kinks out it becomes easier.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search