Tummy bug and BFing

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
MamouBear's Avatar Veteran
I'm not sure if it was something I ate or a little bug but I haven't been feeling well today. DD is 2 weeks old and nursing well. Should I worry about passing bug to her? It seems to be getting better. I've been giving her pumped milk today but need to get her back on the boob.

WDYT?

August 25th, 2008, 07:33 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nursing her is the best thing you can do - it will actually HELP her to KEEP from getting sick. Shes more likely to fend it off if shes nursing directly from you, getting the antibodies your body is developing. And even if she does get sick (which being in close contact with you is inevitable whether youre nursing or bottle feeding), shes going to fare better on fresh breastmilk.

Nurse her directly She'll benefit from it!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 25th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can't actually pass an infection or illness onto your baby from your breastmilk. Like Lala said, you will be in close contact with her one way or another, and if she is going to get it, it's inevitable no matter how you feed her. Fresh breastmilk is known to contain more antibodies though, which is why it's better to nurse her directly than to give her a bottle of breastmilk (It can also have an effect on your supply not to nurse all day, even if you are pumping). I came down with the stomach flu when DD was about 6 months old and she never got it. Do be sure to drink lots of liquids and take in calories when you can, because dehydration can cause your supply to lower, as can not eating. If you can't hold anything down and your supply does suffer, just do your best to nurse on demand and resume eating and drinking slowly, but when your stomach will allow it. Your supply should come right back up without much problem.

Expecting baby #4!

August 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
MamouBear's Avatar Veteran
Thanks. I just nursed her for a good 45 minutes so she is nice and full. I figured it would be ok but with her being so "new" I just wanted some reassurance.

Namaste'

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search