breastfeeding questions

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Hi all, I'm new to this board. I have 3-week old twin girls (born at 38 weeks, so adjusted age = 1 week). We have had breastfeeding checks at the doctor's office to check how much they eat. As of last week, one takes in 1.2 oz, the other .8 oz. So I pump and supplement also with formula. My question is, how much should they be eating at this point? One doctor told us 2 oz, another said 3 oz. But one of my girls spits up a lot and can't seem to handle eating very much at once, maybe 1.5 oz. Plus I would like to stop supplementing with formula. At this point I pump almost 2 oz (so not too much) after nursing the girls which I split between them. Do you think that's enough on its own? Or should we keep on giving the formula? If we lay off the formula, they wake up more often to feed, but I'm thinking maybe that's not a bad thing. Now that their bilirubin levels are down I'm hoping to stop the formula. They seem to be gaining a good amount of weight, not too much or too little.

I hope that made sense, I'm a little sleep deprived. Any advice appreciated!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

August 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you can nurse without formula all together already. I don't see why formula would have been necessary even with jaundice - but I'm not surprised they recommended it as most peds recommend it needlessly as a quick fix, but not necessarily b/c its medically necessary.

Here are some great links from my all time favorite BFing website (which has the answers to every question you could ever wonder!)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

How much milk should I be able to express?
http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bbreast...0,,3x24,00.html

and one of THE single most useful links on Kelly Mom:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Its a calculator to tell you about how much milk your baby should need. Of course - if you nurse on demand, even though initially you will nurse more often than you might think, you will produce enough milk!

I would really suggest the 3 day nursing sabbatical (see the sticky on the main page of this forum), and after 3 days, you should be rid of any need to supplement. If you have latch issues from pumping & bottle feeding, you may need to see a LC. I would also encourage joining LLL in your area - youll almost surely be able t o find other moms of twins who successfullY BF. Youll get a lot of bad advice when BFing, and double it when you have twins! The worst advice is to feed on a schedule at first, or to try to space out feedings - its the #1 reason most moms (esp of twins) lose their milk supply or have milk supply problems.

Hang in there, things get easier & the answer to MOST BFing problems (not all, but most) is to NURSe through it!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like they are doing great! 2oz after nursing 2 babies is an amazing amount to pump. Since they are gaining well and jaundice is no longer an issue, I would suggest just nursing on demand. They will tell you if they are hungry and it sounds like you are only supplmenting because you have been told to. As long as they seem content after nursing, have plenty of wet and poopy diapers and are gaining well, you can ditch the formula and supplementing altogether. If they are still fussy after nursing, continue to nurse on demand and pump to get your supply up. Lala posted a few great links too to help you with your supply.
Way to go on nursing twins, not many women are willing to take on that task!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

August 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Way to go!
August 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
i don't have anything to add. I just wanted to say big congrats on your twins. I see you went through a lot to get those beautiful babies.

August 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Yup, ditto all the other answers!

I just wanted to add...my son is almost 7 months old now. Now that he wakes up less frequently at night, I usually pump when I wake up in the morning. I usually get about 4oz. While I'm away, and he's with Grandma or something, if he eats my pumped milk, that's about all he needs, and actually, he usually eats less than that. Based on the link lala gave about how much pumped milk he needs, it's only about 2.5oz per feeding, because he eats about 10 times a day. So, he seems to be about the snacking, rather than meal taking! ha!

Anyway, I think that if you are pumping 2oz AFTER they eat, that you are doing fabulously!

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search