Should I try a bottle of formula?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Gemini7605's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies, I haven't been able to get onto the board much lately as we are in the middle of a move and things are hectic, so sorry in advance for not replying to many posts. I will try to get caught up this week!

I have a question about night wakings. Myah is waking up a LOT during the night. We're talking 5-6 times sometimes, and she will always scream her head off until I nurse her. I assumed she was just nursing for comfort, not out of hunger since she's eating table foods now at least 3 times a day and nursing about every 4-5 hours. She's only ever slept 6 or 7 hours straight maybe 4 or 5 times. Shouldn't she be sleeping better by now? She's 9 months old.

My mother and MIL both think that she's waking up so frequently at night because she's hungry. I was told by my MIL tonight that I should try giving her an 8 oz. bottle of formula before bed to see if that makes a difference, but I really don't want to give her anything but BM. I've tried nursing her right before bed and that doesn't help. MIL and my Mom think my milk is like skim milk and Myah isn't getting enough. <sigh>

Any advice? TIA!

August 26th, 2008, 10:55 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I see no reason to gie her a bottle of formula personally. If shes hungry, you make milk - and its perfect for her, so why give her anythign else? I just really can't see a reason to. Babies digest breastmilk quickly - no need to give her something that will cause her tummy to work harder just b/c itll buy you time (when the only reason it buys you time is b/c it isnt easily digested).

She could be suddenly waking so much for a nubmer of reasons, and hunger could be one of them, but so could many other things. A growth spurt (at 9 months that would explain a lot), she could be fighting off something, teething, etc. If she is hungry, and she is able to eat solids, then just give her a bit more solids before bedtime & cluster feed at night before bedtime.

If you went back to work fairly recently, thats another common reason for more frequent night wakings (or even a change in routine lately). theyll often time nurse at night to make up fro time during the day that they miss you.

Dont do the bottle - I see no need to - esp now at 9 months - you make milk, theres no erason to think your supply is low, and she calms when you nurse her, so just nurse her

Lala...

Btw, theres no "skim milk" for moms Your milk is exactly what she needs, fat content & all - its custom designed by your body to meet her needs, and it knows b/c of the saliva to skin contact

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Being in the middle of a move, my guess is that is playing a role in her night waking. Children can sense when things are thrown off, and usually eating and sleeping patterns change a little in this time. She could be hungry, especially if there is a lot going on around her during the day. Once they start a new skill, like crawling or walking, or just have a busy day, they will forget to eat and then have to make up for it when the night rolls around. Usually, any sudden and frequent night wakings are short lived and things will return to normal soon.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

August 27th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Mikasa's Avatar Mom of 2 girls and 1 boy!
If you don't want to give her formula then don't! I hate when people give their opinions when you don't ask for it...DD is also 9 months old and wakes 3 times a night to nurse, people joke with me that I make skim milk too I say if you don't want her to have formula, go with your gut, you're the mom and you know what's best for her!

August 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Do you pump? Can you give her that Instead? I know It's not as thick and filling as Formula but just to see If that might work before you try Formula?
August 27th, 2008, 11:25 PM
BTW, its not that formula is thick & filling - its just artificial milk & difficult to digest, just like any processed foods we eat as adults.

I get a little irked when I hear moms compare their milk to formula as "less filling" - wrong - formula isnt the standard by which we should comprae our milk to. OUR milk is how it is supposed to be & its exactly as filling as their food should be. Formula is hard to digest, and downright difficult for many babies. BF babies dont poop more, they poop normally - its FF babies that are irregular & stopped up b/c its an artificial milk.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 28th, 2008, 07:00 AM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
I may not be the norm here but once my daughter was 9 months old, I rarely fed her in the night. I would just keep popping her paci in and laying her down with her blankets, she would cry and I would go back in there and repeat the same thing. After 2 nights, she stopped waking in the night to eat (or comfort eat as I saw it). I work full time and couldn't handle getting up all night.

I broke all my kids from night feeding like this. I believe they get accustomed to eating in the night and it's something that won't change unless you change it. If I got up 3X a night and ate cookies, my body would probably want me to continue waking to eat unless I stopped eating and trained it to not want cookies at 3 AM.

That's just my 2 cents.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
August 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I kind of agree with the post above. A 9-month old should not have to eat in the middle of the night--some do, but I believe is more for comfort than hunger. At least I am speaking from my own experience--my exclusively breastfed daughter started sleeping through the night around six months. We cut out night-time feedings altogether around then, since she was sleeping through the night. Most every one of my girlfriends' babies also slept through the night from anywhere from 3-6 months, and none that I know of were still feeding their babies at night at 9-months. So I personally do not think feeding your baby formula would make any difference. Does she go to bed awake? Does she know how to soothe herself back to sleep? Just something to think about... Good luck!

I also agree with one of the other previous posts - it is completely untrue to think that breastmilk is anything like "skim" milk--I think your mom and MIL are not very informed.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
August 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Have you made any changes, like going back to work or something, that would maybe be causing her to wake. I'd say it is more for comfort than actual need to eat at this point.
August 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Its absolutely normal for a 9 month odl to need to eat in the middle of the night. Esp a BF 9 month old.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
August 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
My DD is about the same age and usually she nurses once or twice at night. If she is not feeling well or we had an especially busy day it can be much more. One thing that has helped to cut down the night feeding (well at least sometimes ) is for me to try and sooth her to sleep first and if that doesn't work I feed her. Sometimes all she needs is a few pats on the back and some singing. I figure she will start sleeping through the night when she is ready and I just try and go with the flow. Good luck!

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
August 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Gemini7605's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for the responses ladies We did recently go through a move so we're in a new city, new house, new everything. Myah is also teething, so that doesn't help things either. Although she has been waking up 3-4 times a night since birth, so things aren't really worse, they just aren't getting better LOL.

I know I should have more confidence in myself to know that my body is producing what she needs. MIL asked DH again tonight on the phone "has Lisa tried formula yet???". He just kind of brushed it off and told her that we'll do what we think is best for Myah, and that formula isn't part of our plan. I know that in her day and age formula was the latest and greatest thing and breast milk was "inferior".

I'm happy there are a few of you also going through this, I mean I'm not happy that you're not getting a full night's sleep, but it's nice to know I'm not alone! I'm sure our babies will grow out of this eventually, they can't still do this when they're 8 right??

August 31st, 2008, 07:47 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
My daughter is 7 1/2 months old and she has never slept all through the night. Some babies do, some don't, but unless your MIL is the one getting up with her, what does she really care?

keep up the good work mama!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search