WOW!!!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I had never really bought into the whole "formula companies are evil," and "pediatrician's are endorsed by formula companies" argument until this past week.

We moved to a new state and I asked Walter's old pediatrician's office to mail me his medical records. I was looking over them the other day, curious to see what they said about him. I was pleased to see the comment, "baby is growing very well on breast milk," but as I continued reading to the next appointment I was SHOCKED! It said "mother is supplementing with Similac Advanced every 2-3 hours." WHAT??? Ok, I have never supplemented Walter on formula. The only time he has ever had formula was right when we got home from the hospital, he had about 1/5th of a little bottle because he wasn't pooping and I was scared that he wasn't eating enough (stupid me).

My husband is convinced that they are endorsed by Similac and have to make notes of their patients who are on it in order to get paid. I have to say that I agree. Can you believe it?
August 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow that is crazy!!!!
August 27th, 2008, 08:32 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Um.... wow! I'd be calling and asking *** is going on because you NEVER gave him formula!!!
August 27th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I would be calling them too. And I would be livid! I always look around the dr's office to see what it says on their notepad or pens or posters in the office to see who really in paying them. There is no doubt in my mind that formula companies are evil and dr's are greedy. But then again I don't trust the government either! LOL
August 27th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, that really suprises me! Honestly, I've thought for a while there is financial motivation behind doctors pushing formula on patients. To see that a doctor lies about giving a child formula in his/her chart though, WTH?

Expecting baby #4!

August 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
WOW is right. I would be super pissed and calling them to ask if they LIE in all their patient records.

August 27th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be livid too. What a bunch of BS

August 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow-I can't believe that!
August 27th, 2008, 07:38 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
I would be mad too. Ive heard about doc's endorsing formula's too. I'd call them and ask why that Is on there...
August 27th, 2008, 09:04 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I am shocked and disgusted.

August 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
HIPAA regulations don't allow anyone, let alone a formula company, to see your child's chart without your permission. I don't think that doctors make a habit of falsifying charts that they can then illegally show to formula companies to prove that moms are using formula when they aren't. I just don't see the point of putting it in a chart to prove something when you can't show the chart to anyone. My doctor expands on notes in her charts when the patients aren't there - I've seen her sitting and writing in a stack of charts while waiting for an appointment. Maybe it was just a mistake (which would worry me for other reasons), but I can't imagine that a doctor would risk losing their license to practice medicine over something like that.

They spend tons of money to inundate pediatrician offices with their "gifts" and propaganda so that when mom is "having trouble" breastfeeding, the doctor recommends THEIR brand of formula and they "educate" doctors on the "benefits" of using formula. The advertising is EXTREME and they tell their version of the truth and have told it so many times that people actually believe it. Believe me, I am not saying that they are not an insidious marketing machine and that they care one bit about women or their babies. I just can't see chart falsifying as a good means to that end.

August 28th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
That is very strange. I think I would be calling the old office and find out why it's in there.

August 28th, 2008, 08:18 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Interesting. I had the impression that HIPPA rules only protected your privacy in regards to things that identify your name. I thought that doctors offices, etc were completely allowed to use client's records, after removing any personal identifiable information. I have worked in the mental health field, and we were able to share records that did not have any client's names, or personal info, etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search