Pierced nipple and BFing?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to yayjennie
When I was 17, I got my left nipple pierced. I took out the ring years ago (I think 3 years ago?), but it never closed up. I never put anything in it, but it just doesn't close. Will this cause problems with BFing? I can't imagine it would, but I thought I'd ask. And if it does, how would I go about breastfeeding on only one side? I'm sure everything will be fine, but I thought I'd ask. TIA.
August 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I really don't know the answer to your question, but here's my thoughts on it...

If for some reason it does interfere with nursing, nursing on only one side wouldn't be a problem at all. Your body will learn to only produce milk on one side, if that's all you ever use. You'll be quite lopsided, but that's not something I ever was concerned about.

ETA: I googled breastfeeding and nipple ring. I found a site that says that you may have some increased sensitivity or discomfort from scar tissue and whatnot, but that there has been no evidence to suggest that it will interfere with breastfeeding. Nor has anyone reported leaking. And this made me laugh...it said to make sure you remove your ring before nursing, as it could cause a choking hazard! Ha! Can you even imagine someone trying to latch on a baby with a ring still attached?!?!
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

August 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
I had piercings way back and I have not had any problems. (mile healed closed) A gal I know did as well and she said sometimes milk would com out the piercing hole. I think you should be just fine.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
August 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from the July 08 Playroom...

I had both mine pierced twice and took them out for the second time at about four months pregnant. Neither fully closed and yes, milk does sneak out! I have no problem nursing at all, I just have to be on the look out for leaks - those bigger holes don't hold milk very tight when things get full!!!

You should be fine! GL!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search