question for BTDT tandem nursing moms

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
CrunchyCountry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have a year old son (Liam) that has been nursing like a pro since he was born and i am currently pregnant with our second. i am all for tandem nursing but i am concerned about Liam taking all of the colostrum before Caelan is born. am i just being silly or is there something i will need to do to deal with it??
August 27th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My colostrum came in a few weeks ago, and honestly, Abby loves it! She had completely lost interest in nursing over the first few months of the pregnancy, but she has picked back up since my colostrum came in. Your body will continue to produce it until your milk comes in after the baby is born. There's no need to worry that he will use it all up, luckily our bodies have taken that into consideration and won't let the supply run low for the new baby.

August 28th, 2008, 08:18 AM
so we will just keep making colostrum till after our new babes come?
August 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Here is a great link regarding tandem nursing and milk comosition

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/f...lkchanges.html

Quote:
Will I produce colostrum?
Yes. The changeover between mature milk and colostrum production begins, on average, between the 4th and 8th month of pregnancy, but some mothers start producing colostrum somewhat earlier than that. Many mothers who nurse through pregnancy have noted that their milk contains mostly colostrum during the last month before baby is born. You will continue to produce colostrum throughout the latter part of your pregnancy - your older nursling cannot "use it up."[/b]

I also have a question regarding tandem nursing since I seem to be in the same boat! I know that my supply can (and I think has) decrease. Any advice on keeping my milk flowing? My dd is only 8 months old and I just can't bear to think of having to give her formula. I have started eating oatmeal every morning, that seemd to work before I got pg but I really want to make sure DD can continue to nurse. So far she is still very interested but is also eating a ton of solids. Please help me aviod formula!!!!!!!
August 28th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Colostrum is just like milk, as long as you demand it, your body will produce it. Many women also leak during pregnancy and thier bodies continue to produce colostrum throughout and after the baby is born.

How far along are you Melanie? Congrats by the way, I didn't know you were expecting!

I noticed a decrease in my supply around 8-10 weeks and by 16-18 weeks I don't think there was anything left. I tried eating oatmeal, but it didn't seem to help. I read up on fenugreek, but it's not reccomended during pregnancy either. DD was also down to nursing only 3 times a day, so she wasn't nursing much to keep my supply up. If your DD is nursing at least 5-7 times a day, that may be enough in itself to keep your supply up for the time that she needs it. As long as she is still content to nurse though, I would suggest waiting it out. She will let you know if she is hungry and needs more than what she is eating in solids and getting nursing. If she does seem hungry because of the decrease in milk, you might need to supplement a little bit. I would suggest introducing it unless you feel she needs it though. It sounds like she might be happy waiting it out and just using solids to satisfy her appetite though.

August 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Girl_interrupted
I am currently tandem nursing my 2.5 year old and my 8 month old. I lost my supply during pregnancy, and my daughter LOVED it when she started getting the colostrum. I know exactly when she got her first taste, too. She popped off to tell me how good it was while nursing that day... and I later noticed the colostrum.

And ditto to Andrea. As long as you need it, you'll have it. Supply-demand.

Congrats, and good luck!
August 29th, 2008, 08:07 AM
thanks! you ladies are all so helpful

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search