I think she has a milk protein allergy...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the last week or so she has stopped having seedy poops and it's just diarrhea. She's getting plenty of hindmilk, and it's not green, so it's not due to a foremilk imbalance. She's also been very fussy, gassy, and acting like her tummy hurts. Both my boys had milk protein allergies, so I have a feeling this is the beginnings of that. *sigh* No more dairy for me. Just wanted to complain a bit. Thanks for listening.

August 27th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That stinks Jess!

August 27th, 2008, 06:49 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
im sorry jess.....hi miss Alyssa!!!!!
August 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Quote:
im sorry jess.....hi miss Alyssa!!!!![/b]
OMG, cute siggy, Amy!!!

August 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((hugs)) Rylinn is the same way---no dairy here for me...it is soo frustrating!! I have been craving a milkshake ever since she was born!!! Good Luck!
August 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ouch that sucks Is it possible for babies to grow out of that?

August 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Ouch that sucks Is it possible for babies to grow out of that?[/b]
Yes, my last outgrew it when he was around a year old.

August 29th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lack of seeds does not mean it's diarrhea. My son rarely has seeds at all anymore but he poops on schedule - once in the morning, once in the evening (about 12 hrs apart). The ped said that lack of seeds itself is still a normal poop condition.

That said, he has an intolerance to dairy too (in fact the seeds disappeared when the dairy disappeared from my diet). It sucks, I love dairy! But I love breastfeeding more!

August 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Lack of seeds does not mean it's diarrhea. My son rarely has seeds at all anymore but he poops on schedule - once in the morning, once in the evening (about 12 hrs apart). The ped said that lack of seeds itself is still a normal poop condition.

That said, he has an intolerance to dairy too (in fact the seeds disappeared when the dairy disappeared from my diet). It sucks, I love dairy! But I love breastfeeding more![/b]
Hmmm...that's interesting. How are we to know if baby has diarrhea then, lol? <<honest question.

August 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Quote:
Quote:
im sorry jess.....hi miss Alyssa!!!!![/b]
OMG, cute siggy, Amy!!!
[/b]

Thanks! I LOVE your's....Such a cute dress Alyssa has on!!!
August 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hmmm...that's interesting. How are we to know if baby has diarrhea then, lol? <<honest question.[/b]
From kellymom:

Diarrhea in a breastfed baby is diagnosed when a baby has 12-16 stools per day (or more often than the baby's regular stool frequency), watery stools, and an offensive odor to the stools. Just one of these symptoms does not in itself mean the baby has diarrhea.

more here:
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/bab...s.html#vomiting

August 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm...that's interesting. How are we to know if baby has diarrhea then, lol? <<honest question.[/b]
From kellymom:

Diarrhea in a breastfed baby is diagnosed when a baby has 12-16 stools per day (or more often than the baby's regular stool frequency), watery stools, and an offensive odor to the stools. Just one of these symptoms does not in itself mean the baby has diarrhea.

more here:
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/bab...s.html#vomiting
[/b]
Hmmm...it doesn't have an offensive odor, but she literally poops between 15-20 times per day and it's pure liquid, and sometimes green.

September 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My LO has the allergy. It was discovered after birth when he continued to loose weight cause he was pooping it all out-like 15-18 a day. I cut all dairy out of my diet (amazing all the names milk hides under) and about a month ago (4 months old), he finally got clean stool samples (free of blood). It took forever for his colon to heal and get all the milk out of his system.

September 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
My LO has the allergy. It was discovered after birth when he continued to loose weight cause he was pooping it all out-like 15-18 a day. I cut all dairy out of my diet (amazing all the names milk hides under) and about a month ago (4 months old), he finally got clean stool samples (free of blood). It took forever for his colon to heal and get all the milk out of his system.[/b]
Good for you for sticking it out!!!! I'm on day 4 (or is it 5?) of dairy elimination, she's less fussy, and the diarrhea is gone, but now it's mucousy, so I'm now positive that it is, in fact, a dairy allergy. Hopefully it'll only take another week or so and she'll be completely back to normal again. *crosses fingers*

September 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
My LO has the allergy. It was discovered after birth when he continued to loose weight cause he was pooping it all out-like 15-18 a day. I cut all dairy out of my diet (amazing all the names milk hides under) and about a month ago (4 months old), he finally got clean stool samples (free of blood). It took forever for his colon to heal and get all the milk out of his system.[/b]
Good for you for sticking it out!!!! I'm on day 4 (or is it 5?) of dairy elimination, she's less fussy, and the diarrhea is gone, but now it's mucousy, so I'm now positive that it is, in fact, a dairy allergy. Hopefully it'll only take another week or so and she'll be completely back to normal again. *crosses fingers*
[/b]
Crossing my fingers for you that things will clear up quickly. In our case, he seemed better (less gassy, less poops, rash better) but the mucousy poops lasted much longer. My pedi said it would take weeks for all the dairy to completely get out of his system. I have been dairy free for 4.5 months and its been hard but...I've adjusted and found so many yummy things I can eat (soy milk, soy ice cream, etc.). Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search