Too much?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
instant_oatmeal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone had an oversupply of milk? I've been looking at websites and based on some of the signs I think that might be the problem. What did you do to correct it?

August 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought i had this at one point too and i didn't do anything about it except pump the excess before i fed him especially in the morning. I used to pump every morning but then stopped which resulted in an oversupply. This built my stock and got rid of the milk so there was so much when he ate next time. Not sure if this is what to do but it helped me.
August 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's not unusual for moms to have an oversupply in the beginning. What you want to do about it depends on how bad it is. Here's a link with some suggestions for positions to help your baby deal with the fast flow and on block feeding.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I had a major oversupply the first 4-6 months and did a little block feeding, but let it even out on it's own. She learned to deal with my fast letdown, and I learned to keep a burp cloth handy to catch it when she unlatched. I would pump little bits off if I got too engorged or hand express in the shower to get more comfortable. It did even out on it's own though, it just took some time.

August 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
#1 didn't pump except if I was too engorged for her to latch on, I'd express just enough to soften up my nipple so she could latch.

#2 1-sided feedings. I'd feed on 1 side for 2-3 feedings so that she would get the hindmilk rather than all foremilk, then switch and do the same thing with the other side. This signaled my breasts to slow down production.

It normally takes about a week for it to slow down.

August 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What's making you think you have an oversupply? Are you engorged all the time? You're still really early - according to your ticker, your baby is only three weeks. Your milk supply hasn't regulated itself yet. From what I've read, we always have a lot of milk in the beginning because your body prepares for twins and then reduces the milk supply down over time as the baby eats more regularly.

Honestly if you wanted to take advantage of it now (which I am personally doing), I pump extra both for comfort but more so that I have extra milk stored if I need to be away from the baby in the future. But of course pumping stimulates the breasts to produce more, so that can have the opposite effect, if you are trying to reduce your supply.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
August 28th, 2008, 06:02 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At 3 weeks its rpetty much expected that youll have an oversupply The best thing you can do is nurse on demand, sometimes thats cosntatnly & sometimes it may not be - but by 6 - 8 weeks your body will start leveling out. I would discourage pumping as much as possible, unless absolutely necessary and just focus on nursing on demand

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search