I believe we may be going through a in balance

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JCmomtotwoboys
Hi Ladies, I have noticed the past two days Sariah has been spitting up alot. We are still supplimenting formula when Im not home as DH did yesterday since I was at the store . Im still trying to build up my freezer stash but majority of the time she gets breastfed or is given breastmilk in a bottle if I have any in the freezer. Anyway Im noticing shes spitting up alot even when I do breastfeed her and then this morning when we got back from running errands she literaly exploded in her diaper and it was really runny/frothy and yellow .So obviously she is showing signs of me having an inbalance of my breastmilk and from what I read I need to offer her one breast during a feeding, but how long do i stick to offering her one breast? And also do you think this could have also affected my breastmilk stash since Ive been pumping as well? Are there things I should avoid so this doesnt happen again? And one last question when she breastfeeds I notice she has what seems to look like cottage cheese in her mouth after a feeding then it goes away...is this normal for breastmilk to do in the mouth?
August 28th, 2008, 06:20 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since her stools aren't green (common in foremilk/hindmilk imbalance), it could also be a food sensitivity. The most common is dairy. If she is on a cow's-milk based formula (vs. a soy-based), then it's quite likely that it is a dairy sensitivity. I also have to wonder why you'd be supplementing with formula if you're experiencing oversupply.

That said, hopefully it is just an oversupply issue though, as that is quickly and easily resolved. Here is an article about overcoming oversupply issues. http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/toomuchmilk.html

August 28th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Actually, babies stools can change frequently when breastfeeding, from yellow and frothy to even green and frothy (sometimes an indication of an imbalance, but many moms report seeing green poops at some point, and it goes away quickly.) The formula will also affect her poop and make it thicker. A formula-fed babies poop is suppose to be thicker and a different consistency, so it's not usual that you'll notice her poop may have a thicker or odd consistency after getting formula.
Spitting up is also common, usually caused by a baby eating too fast and swallowing too much air. As long as it doesn't seem to bother her, it probably isnt' anything to worry about. It could be from a food sensitivity, but you will also notice other signs along with excessive spitting up.
I always nursed DD from just one side, so there isn't any harm in doing so. I personally reccomend it, because your baby will get more of the fattier milk this way. I always let DD nurse from one side until she unlatched herself and would offer the other side only if she still acted hungry. Switching to one-sided nursing could also help the spitting up. If you are switching sides, she is getting 2 letdowns and more likely to swallow air while nursing. I always found it easier too, because you can nurse without watching the clock or worrying about when to switch sides.
August 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the others and I would really encourage aovoiding formula all together until you can eliminate the culprit if there is one. Spitting up is normal. Runny poops are normal. yellow poop is normal. Green would be the only thing that might make me think that there MIGHT be an imbalance or sensitivity. Otherwise, all sounds ok - but just that there might be some issues being aggravated by the freuqent supplementing.

I would just make it a point to not use formula unless its a true emergency until you sort through things. For example - if you have to run to the store, do it after youve fed her well, or some time other than night time when shell likely be eatin gmore frequently. Stock up on necessities on the weekend durin gthe day when shes napping good, and make it quick trips. If she fusses & its time to eat - cut the trip short & come back home. Send DH (i know how unreliable they can be though lol).

Its tough - but certainly possible.

In the meanwhile - nursing from one side at a time never hurts & cna only help. Its generally recommended anyways - just nurse from one side until/unless she seems frustrated & is wanting the other side.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search