Do I need to pump?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I really want to just exclusively breastfeed, but my mom, sister, etc keep asking me when i'm going to start pumping and doing some bottle feedings. they make it sound like there is no way to EBF...but i'm a SAHM and if i always have lily with me then i don't see the problem.

but then they talk about "don't you want to go out without her, etc" and eventually i will, but at that point i'm sure she'll go longer between feedings so it won't be an issue. it's not unrealistic to not pump and bottle feed, right?? i just feel like i have no real reasoning to tell them my side except that i just want to EBF.

August 29th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only time I've been told I need to pump is when I am getting my milk in initially, because mine likes to take forever. But unless you are having supply problems, there's no reason to pump just because they want you to! But it is always better in b/f not to introduce a fake nipple..so you could always just say I don't want her to get nipple confusion, so I'm not letting her get a bottle until I'm positive she's ready.

August 29th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I NIP. No bottles. Soooo much easier. Besides, she only "takes" one kind of bottle and thats by chewing it out flat on her back.

August 29th, 2008, 08:58 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't pump with my last one (bfed for 2 years) and I don't plan to with this one either. They just always go where I go...

August 29th, 2008, 11:25 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm a stay at home mom and nurse exclusively. At this point (7 months) I will admit I wish I had gotten him used to bottles so I could have other people put him to bed, etc. But he is now picky and refuses anything but my boob.
August 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I would just be straight forward and say you are going to EBF her. Explain nipple confusion and explain that there is no where you intend to go without her. I have had to be very matter of fact with my BF's family about this same issue. You don't have to do what you don't want to do and you can always pump a bottle if you DO decide to go somewhere without her! I usually try to plan ahead if I am going to go anywhere and just pump a quick bottle in the hours before we go. Good luck and stay strong on how you feel!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

August 29th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a SAHM too and Hayden is EBF. Since he is older going out is much easier b/c he can go a lot longer between feedings, I pretty much only pump when I have to go out without him. Just do what feels right to you, after all you are mommy and mommy knows best..

August 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can certainly EBF -- do whatever you want to do.

Just be sure you are CERTAIN it's what you want to do. Because it seems in talking with other moms that if you don't introduce an occasional bottle early on (like around 2-3 months), then it's more likely your baby will refuse a bottle later, if you tried say at 5-6 months or later. So just be absolutely sure it's what you want.

Personally, I chose to pump and have my husband give our daughter a bottle of EBM at bedtime each night. It was great bonding for him, and ensured that our daughter would take a bottle if needed. She nursed for every other feeding (I nursed her for a year). I really appreciated it months later when my husband and I needed a date night out and also when I needed to attend an out-of-town funeral for the day--I was able to leave my daughter and know she would take the bottle from my husband and not fuss. It worked for us.

But again, ultimately do whatever YOU want and don't let anyone else pressure you.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
August 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Exactly, do what YOU want. I would play it by ear. My baby didnt get a bottle till she was 6weeks old, I have spent tons of money trying to get her to take one, she hates them. I think she likes the Nuby cause shes teething and the cold milk feels good on her gums, but its not a "feeding". You also run the risk of nipple preference, some babies get it, some dont. I think its very indivdual for every baby. Do what you feel is right

August 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Its fine to EBF. I however decided to pump and freeze some BM because if theres an emergency and I have to leave the kids with someone (like if I was in the hospital or if one of the older kids had to go to the hospital) I would have a stash just in case. Dh gives him a bottle of EBM every other day when he gets home from work, so that he won't refuse a bottle in an emergency. We had one such situation when Joey was about a month old and DH had to go to the hospital by ambulance. I went with him but didn't want to expose the kids to all the germs of a hospital ER.
August 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Girl_interrupted
Neither of my two little ones ever had bottles. Well, Maddie did once so my MIL could feed her a bottle, but she hated it. Luke is now 8 months and has only nursed. He takes soy milk, water, or juice from a cup. I had to pump only briefly for Maddie-but she was already a year old (after she had open heart surgery it was a little tough to nurse ).
August 29th, 2008, 09:32 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sarah is 8 months and has never had a bottle. don't let your family tell you what you can and can't do...do what ever is best for you!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 31st, 2008, 05:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I tried giving van a bottle around 2 mos, but he would never take it. I'm a SAHM, so it's not a problem. however, when i am going to be gone longer than 2 hours, I have some pumped milk (I would pump the mornings after he woke less than usual). he wont take a bottle, but he will drink it out of a cup.
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

August 31st, 2008, 05:54 PM
mothra's Avatar Martha
there's no reason why you can't EBF. for me personally i pump pretty rarely, only when i know i'm going to be in a situation where nursing will be difficult, plus my LO HATES bottles. you kind of start to figure out your LO's schedule and appetite too so you'll know if it'll be handy or not. i suppose it also depends on how comfortable you are with nursing in public...i'm not there yet so i do find it nice to have a back up plan.

August 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hey Shelley!

Like everyone else says, do what you want. You're the mommy here. I did some pumping and bottle feeding for about a week really early on because I was having major neck pain (from my back condition acting up in labor) but then didn't pump at all until July, Cadie was 6 months old at that point. She will take a bottle from someone else, I am never in the room.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search