dairy, spraying and ounces?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Veteran
#1 I *think* my LO has a dairy allergy. He had been really fussy and had lots of gas and gummy/mucousy poop, and had green poop one day. I cut out dairy for 2 weeks and only saw a little improvement in the fussing. Still had lots of gass and some gummy poop. No green poop tho. So yesterday I tried eating a little dairy to figure out if that was really the problem. Well, he isnt any worse in gas or fussiness but his gummy green poop is back. So, is it acurate to believe he does have a dairy allergy? Does this mean I cant eat dairy the entire time I breast feed? because I was literaly eating baked potatoes and squash for 2 weeks as everything has milk in it. Or is it something he will grow out of soon? He is 7 weeks old now.

#2 He also chokes and gulps while eating. And he fusses...pulling on and off. My milk comes out fast. And the other day when he started to choke and let go of my nipple, milk was still spraying all over my couch. This is confusing to me as I block feed and am not particularly engorged. I've tried feeding uphill but he still chokes sometimes. Any advice, thoughts? I am at a loss as to whether his problem is dairy, overactive let down or both. He cries as if in lots of pain and frusteration.

#3 How many ounces should a 2 month old be eating if bf?

Thanks!
August 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Green poop can be more foremilk than hindmilk. There was lots of green poop here for awhile, she grew out of it eventually. I feed mostly on my left side cause my right produces twice as much and its my attempt to keep them "even".

I spray everywhere too, she chokes sometimes too, but she grabs back on. I guess she's used to it?? I think I read that if you have an overactive let down that you can let go until the spray slows down, like use a burp cloth or whatever until it stops, but Im not sure. For the gassiness and fussiness, I think someone in my PR a few months ago said she gave her LO some gripe water first.

Dont even worry about how many oz's a bf baby should be eating, our boobs dont have oz ticks on them Your body will make what your baby needs. Just feed your baby until he is no longer hungry If you are asking about a bottle of EBM, Im not sure, someone else will have to answer that one

August 29th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If you are asking about a bottle of EBM, it depends on the baby! My little guy would take about 4-5 oz of EBM when he does his bottle at night. He is bigger than his brother, but his brother would take 6-8 oz in a sitting! I would try with 3 oz and then give more if needed, rather than start with a larger bottle and then have it go to waste.

August 29th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can try pumping off the initial letdown. Just pump off enough for that first letdown, no more, because you don't want to make the problem worse. I used to have the same problem - when I first started I would get 4oz in a couple of minutes... now it's more like 2 so it's getting better and my son doesn't choke anymore. Now I also hand express some off rather than pump.

August 30th, 2008, 05:27 PM
littamomto4's Avatar Super Mommy
I know all about the spraying thing, apparently while I am half asleep and feeding her she comes off them goes back and and when I wake up in the mornings she has little white dots all over her face from dried milk!

August 31st, 2008, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like you cut out all or close to all dairy sources and it didn't solve the issues, so my guess is that milk isn't the problem.
How long do you block feed for?
You can have an overactive letdown without engorgement. I always kept a burp cloth handy when she nursed, so I could aim the spray in there and not make a mess. The overactive letdown he will learn to handle better over the next few weeks and months. That is probably also causing the gas and fussiness, because he's swallowing a lot of air during your letdown. Both are common signs of an overactive letdown.

Expecting baby #4!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search