Brand new mommy with questions

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My baby is only about 48 hours old. He wants to nurse A lot, but his mouth and lips are so dry, I don't think he's getting much. My boobs are very tight and somewhat sore - feel very full - but when I try to hand express, all I get is two drops of almost clear watery liquid. Is this normal? Should I just wait until my milk comes in, or does it sound like something is wrong? BTW, I got VERY liitle help at the hospital because he seemed to be latching on okay and wanting to feed enough. He was 8 lb 8 oz at birth and this morning he was 8 lb 2 oz. TIA

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
August 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Your baby is doing what he needs to do to get your body to get that milk in faster. Sounds like its getting there, just nurse nurse and nurse your milk will be in in a day or two, but nurse him as much as you can, it helps. My sons lips were dry too the first days his whole body was, it was normal, i'm sure your baby's is too just dry from birth.

Jess
August 30th, 2008, 08:26 AM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would let him nurse as often as he wants...that will make your milk come in faster. Good luck!!
August 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM
littamomto4's Avatar Super Mommy
Let him Nurse girl and we are not as effective of getting milk out as the babies are. If you have concerns you could always call a local LLL, or a LC from your hospital.

August 31st, 2008, 05:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Your expressing colostrum, which is what you produce while pregnant and the first few days after giving birth. The typical woman's milk comes in around 2-4 days old, so it doesn't happen right away. Mine came in when DD was 3 days old. You may not notice the transition either. Every women is different, so some will get engorged when thier milk starts to come in, and others won't notice a difference at all. His weight is good, and right on track. All babies lose the first few days, but will start gaining weight back after several days to a week.

Expecting baby #4!

August 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
congrats on your new baby! Let him nurse as much as he wants! It sucks that you didn't get much help in the hospital. You might want to call up a friend that has nursing experience, and if you don't have one, call the Le Leche League. They are there to offer support and any info you might need.

Also, there is a great website called Kellymom that is FULL of wonderful and legit information about breastfeeding. Check it out and bookmark it for the future. And return here anytime you have any questions. This board was a lifesaver for me!

kellymom

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search