Please Answer this if you can!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just had my baby girl on 08/27 and we nursed fine from the beginning and are still doing so, although I do have some questions that I would like answered. My milk came in about 2 days after her birth and my breast were extremely engorged my breast literally looked liked canon balls and were just as hard, she nursed fine though only about 5-10 minutes at one breast every 2-3 hours. Her schedule is pretty much the same. Will this hurt my milk supply since she doesn't eat that much, she is now more in the sleeping mode?

Yesterday to relieve some pain I pumped right after I fed her and got 2oz out of my left breast and 4 from the right. I don't plan to continue to do this after reading milk will be replenished in the amounts that I pump so really I wasn't relieving myself for long....... Also is it normal for one breast to make more milk than the other? When pumping I noticed my right breasts milk was white like milk while my left was still orange tented like milk and colostrum mixed together and the amount I pumped was way different....

After pumping my breast I noticed my left side still feels like pre pregnancy, soft and not engorged while my right began making milk and became hard like a canon ball again, she I worry that milk will not continue as well for my left? I plan to pump my left every 4 hours to get about 2oz of milk just to make sure it does replenish but this is worrying me. When I was extremely engorged and tried to manually squeeze out milk my right side would squirt but nothing would come out my left but drips.

I have been trying to read Kellysmom and a few other sites but with a newborn and toddler I would like to get all my information as soon as I can in one place because I am not finding I have a lot of time to read, so anyone with any information PLEASE help me out! I really want to continue this and not feel stressed. Thanks so much!

September 1st, 2008, 05:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your daughter!
Quote:
My milk came in about 2 days after her birth and my breast were extremely engorged my breast literally looked liked canon balls and were just as hard, she nursed fine though only about 5-10 minutes at one breast every 2-3 hours. Her schedule is pretty much the same. Will this hurt my milk supply since she doesn't eat that much, she is now more in the sleeping mode[/b]
5-10 minutes every 2-3 hours is actually a pretty normal feeding schedule. Mine finishes in about 7 minutes and is now good for up to 4 hours without eating... his sister was the same way.

Quote:
Yesterday to relieve some pain I pumped right after I fed her and got 2oz out of my left breast and 4 from the right. I don't plan to continue to do this after reading milk will be replenished in the amounts that I pump so really I wasn't relieving myself for long....... Also is it normal for one breast to make more milk than the other? When pumping I noticed my right breasts milk was white like milk while my left was still orange tented like milk and colostrum mixed together and the amount I pumped was way different....[/b]
It is normal to get different amounts while pumping, but I have not heard of one being a different color than the other. Maybe it's just because you didn't get as much on that side and it didn't gets as much hind milk? I would just make sure your switching sides every feeding.

Quote:
After pumping my breast I noticed my left side still feels like pre pregnancy, soft and not engorged while my right began making milk and became hard like a canon ball again, she I worry that milk will not continue as well for my left? I plan to pump my left every 4 hours to get about 2oz of milk just to make sure it does replenish but this is worrying me. When I was extremely engorged and tried to manually squeeze out milk my right side would squirt but nothing would come out my left but drips.[/b]
both of mine are now more like prepregnancy and only get engorged (like your right) if I don't nurse for more than like 6 hours. Sounds like your right is just producing too much and needs to not be pumped after feeding her and it will even itself out in a few days. Your left just sounds like it could be well established.

Good luck!
September 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I just had my baby girl on 08/27 and we nursed fine from the beginning and are still doing so, although I do have some questions that I would like answered. My milk came in about 2 days after her birth and my breast were extremely engorged my breast literally looked liked canon balls and were just as hard, she nursed fine though only about 5-10 minutes at one breast every 2-3 hours. Her schedule is pretty much the same. Will this hurt my milk supply since she doesn't eat that much, she is now more in the sleeping mode?

Yesterday to relieve some pain I pumped right after I fed her and got 2oz out of my left breast and 4 from the right. I don't plan to continue to do this after reading milk will be replenished in the amounts that I pump so really I wasn't relieving myself for long....... Also is it normal for one breast to make more milk than the other? When pumping I noticed my right breasts milk was white like milk while my left was still orange tented like milk and colostrum mixed together and the amount I pumped was way different....

After pumping my breast I noticed my left side still feels like pre pregnancy, soft and not engorged while my right began making milk and became hard like a canon ball again, she I worry that milk will not continue as well for my left? I plan to pump my left every 4 hours to get about 2oz of milk just to make sure it does replenish but this is worrying me. When I was extremely engorged and tried to manually squeeze out milk my right side would squirt but nothing would come out my left but drips.

I have been trying to read Kellysmom and a few other sites but with a newborn and toddler I would like to get all my information as soon as I can in one place because I am not finding I have a lot of time to read, so anyone with any information PLEASE help me out! I really want to continue this and not feel stressed. Thanks so much![/b]
The side that still seemed orange, was it the side you fed off of? It could have been all hindmilk which is thicker as it hs more fat. I find that when I pump after nursing the side that I feed off of comes out a different color than the other. But when I pump at work when I havent just fed the milk comes out the same color. Just a thought. Congrats on your LO

(1)
September 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Your body will produce what she needs, based on how much she nurses and what she gets at each time. If you are letting her nurse on demand, your supply will adjust to her needs and that's exactly what you want!

It's very normal for women to have one breast that produces more than the other. Also, your milk changes through the first month after it starts to come in, as it develops into "mature milk". It doesn't sound strange that you might have some colostrum still mixed in with your milk.

The fact that you are pumping more from one breast than the other is part of your uneven supply. It's normal especially in the beginning, as your supply is trying to establish. Many women will notice that one breast seems to produce a little more when they pump, or it can be like yours, where one gets engorged and the other doesn't. It's nothing to worry about and I would suggest waiting it out. Hand express on the side that gets engorged to keep yourself comfortable and within a few weeks, usually, you will notice the supply in this breast will start to even out. If you continue to pump on the side with the lower supply, you may increase your supply too much, and end up with the same problem. You may always notice that one breast produces more, but that doesn't mean that the one producing less, is producing too little. The supply is just established in that breast a little bit better and the other breast has to catch up.

Here's a link on it that might help you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search