Day 3- No Milk. HELP!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Please, can someone help me with what to do. My baby is 3 days old and I have not produced any milk. He is on formula from the hospital that I have diluted. I try to get him to nurse before the bottle which he willingly tries but only for a few seconds because there's no milk there! Please, how can I speed my milk production?

I don't want my baby to lose interest in the breast by the time my milk does come if it comes.

Thanks

Eden
September 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
cln1812's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, you need to stop giving the baby formula from the hospital. That hurts your milk production. Second, the colostrum you produce is enough to sustain your baby until your milk comes in. My milk did not come in until 5 days PP, and the colostrum I made was enough for the baby in the meantime. The best thing you can do is nurse as much as possible, as frequently as the baby will stand to nurse. Drink plenty of water, eat oatmeal (the old-fashioned oats), those can help milk production. First and foremost, get rid of the formula! I would also suggest contacting a certified lactation constultant if you're having issues with latch (sore nipples, etc.).

My Ovulation Chart
September 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
ditto...

My milk came in 4 days post partum. Keep nursing frequently as much as baby wants. Your milk will come in shortly...

Congrats on your new lo!

ditto...

My milk came in 4 days post partum. Keep nursing frequently as much as baby wants. Your milk will come in shortly...

Congrats on your new lo!

(1)
September 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I am not producing anything. I have not produced any colostrum either. I'm not sure what to do.

I am trying to find a LC here in Mexico but I am having difficulty. There seems to be none in my city and I am looking for one who speaks English.
September 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Super Mommy
Can I ask why you believe you are not producing colostrum either? If you are trying to pump it out, you might be getting anything, but that does not mean that your baby is not getting any.

I agree, get rid of the formula and nurse often - 10 to 12 times a day. The link below gives some more information about the first week and nursing.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

Does anyone know of numbers that you can call in the US to get help with nursing? I'm wondering if you could just call some La Leche League somewhere in the US (or Mexico) to find someone speaking English.

September 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Your baby is likely pulling away because he's now getting used to having the immediate flow of formula from the bottle. Some babies do fine switching between the two, but many can tell the difference from day one and start to prefer the bottle.
I agree with what the other ladies said, ditch the bottles and formula and nurse as much as possible. It would be very rare for a women not to produce colostrum at all, it's likely there, but not something you've seen. Sometimes it's clear, other times it's a yellow/gold color. You won't notice a change in your breasts with the colostrum either, and sometimes you won't notice a change when you're milk comes in. Most women will notice thier milk comes in by day 5, and it can be delayed if you're not pumping or nursing.

Here's a link from the La Leche League website, which might help you find a leader near you. It appears to have leaders in many countries, so hopefully it will help:
http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
September 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't necessarily agree that you should "get rid of the formula." I say that because my baby lost A LOT of weight at the hospital (almost 10%) because my milk hadn't come in, so we had to supplement. That saved him from having to go under the lights for jaundice. Two days of formula supplements and his bilirubin count started decreasing because he was gaining weight. And we had no problems switching to straight BF afterwards.
I gave birth on a Tuesday morning, and my milk didn't come in until Friday night. I did have colustrum, though.
You should consult with a lactation consultant.
Good luck! I hope it works out so that you're able to BF.

September 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my milk came in 5 days post partum and i did supplement with formula for a few days but since my milk has come in he hasn't had any formula and he's a champion nurser...

September 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
good luck! I am sure that LLL will be able to help you over the phone and hopefully find someone local.

here is a link to check out as well-

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
September 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM
posting again to add something I was told in the hospital from my LC. She was telling us that the Hispanic population doesn't believe in colostrum and they feed formula until the milk comes in. This belief may add to the frustration if you are in Mexico.

*please note that I do not know this to be true, just passing on what she told me. Don't mean to offend or pass on bad info.
September 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)

I sure hope we have a happy ending here. I feel so bad for this mom. I wish there was better b/f support for any post-partum mother.. I wish I could just hug her right now.
September 10th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Quote:

I sure hope we have a happy ending here. I feel so bad for this mom. I wish there was better b/f support for any post-partum mother.. I wish I could just hug her right now. [/b]

Thanks so much for your kindness! Thanks for the advice ladies. I am doing what I can. I got him to latch on and he finally got some colostrum! I am trying to pump now, but latching is a big problem now. I am still fighting though!

September 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
there is a learning curve for baby too...once he gets it though, it should be ok!
September 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Quote:

I sure hope we have a happy ending here. I feel so bad for this mom. I wish there was better b/f support for any post-partum mother.. I wish I could just hug her right now. [/b]

Thanks so much for your kindness! Thanks for the advice ladies. I am doing what I can. I got him to latch on and he finally got some colostrum! I am trying to pump now, but latching is a big problem now. I am still fighting though!
[/b]
Yeah for colostrum!!! Come on little guy ~ latch, latch, latch!

Lots of positive prayers and thoughts your way.
September 10th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great, just keep at it! This is new for both you and baby, so it can take some time to get the hang of it. Latching on is always the worst, because you are trying to get a huge nipple in such a small mouth. Remember, to tickle his lower lip and when he opens wide, bring him into the breast quickly. You can also flatten your nipple to help him take in more of it as he latches on.
Chances are, your milk has started coming in. Usually it takes about a month for what they call "mature milk" to come in, but what he is getting should be enough to really fill his belly. If you do get a chance, Kellymom.com is a great source for breastfeeding information.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search