Palin a breastfeeding mom

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't guarantee the sources are legit, but watching the news, they mentioned that Sarah Palin (Republican VP candidate) is a breastfeeding mom! I am still unsure of the elections, but I think that is a good thing for other breastfeeding moms. If I remember correctly, some states don't have good breastfeeding laws, so this could be a positive step in getting those changed!

September 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I read that she will bring her baby to work with her and nurse them as she did with previous children. Imagine a breastfeeding mother as VP!

Here is an interview posted in People Magazine about her pumping. Read towards the middle of the page.

http://www.people.com/people/article...222685,00.html

Here is another article with the same quote:
http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archiv..._will_inde.html

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
September 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is impressive. Good links.
September 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure why that's so exciting. The ticket she's running on is not the most supportive of women and equal rights in general, and definitely not supportive of lower-income or even middle-class people, so I hope she and the "maverick" don't win. JMHO.

September 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Breastfeeding moms are a mix of all different political views, and everyone is entitled to thier opinion. I thought it was worth mentioning though, not to sway anyone's decision on who to vote for, but just out of interest. I didn't post this to start a political debate though, and as we can all appreciate each other's opinions, this isn't the forum to debate the candidates.

Thank you for those links Kelly! It's good to see a breastfeeding mom in the spotlight who is willing to talk about it openly.

September 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. I had no idea about that. That neat.

September 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Michelle Obama also nursed her children, for the record.

My concern about Palin, is that she DOES BF & baby wear, but its also culturally acceptable in Ak, how confrontational is she going to be about the issue in a less accepting society? DC is a little more open to it than in some southern states of course, but I would be surprised to see her NIP, and I know she does rely on pumping quite a bit. It also concerns me that she returned to work 3 days postpartum - how supportive is she goign to be of better leave policies for women, particularly for the sake of BFing? Will she expect them to "toughen up" b/c after all... she returned to work 3 days PP, will she be sympathetic & udnerstandign to women facing a far greater set of challenges (like workplaces that aren't open to baby wearing, nursing, pumping, etc)? Or will she be of the mindset that its up to employers to decide how open they want to be, and women can just find another place to work & go elsewhere if they dont like it (thats the "open market" mindset that she favors in other areas of business policies).

I'd be thrilled to see a woman in office, particularly a BFing woman, but i think that a woman who is not sympathetic to womens issues such as maternity leave, and accomodating bfing in the workplace would do far more to damage women than a woman who was neutral on the issue (or a man who simply took no stance or even a non progressive stance). And with Palin, I cant quite find the answer to my concerns yet, so either time will tell - or hopefully shell be faced with those questions.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'd be thrilled to see a woman in office, particularly a BFing woman, but i think that a woman who is not sympathetic to womens issues such as maternity leave, and accomodating bfing in the workplace would do far more to damage women than a woman who was neutral on the issue (or a man who simply took no stance or even a non progressive stance).[/b]
Very true, and there's no way to tell what her opinion is on some of these issues. Maybe one day we'll get the chance to ask her If they are elected into office, it will be interesting to see if she has any interest in making changes to some of the breastfeeding laws, among other things. Having a woman in office is completely uncharted territory, so I guess we have no idea what we could expect.

September 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
she's a MAVERICK BREASTFEEDER!!!!

just kidding. I think it's cool that she bf's, even though I think she's a nightmare in the general sense. She's definitely captivating!!
September 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Quote:
she's a MAVERICK BREASTFEEDER!!!![/b]
LOL!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search