let down too fast?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My Newborn is 100% breastfed, but something I have noticed is she will only nurse for about 30 seconds, she quivers her mouth to start the let down but when I can feel it happening she will pop off and my milk will go all over her and me both. I try and pop her back on quickly but she squirms and tries yet doesnt latch for a few seconds more. Then she will nurse for maybe 2 minutes and she is done....

Also it is so difficult for me to wake her up to nurse, she normally has about 5 wet and 5 poopy diapers a day, but I just cant see how she is filling herself up. It seems that she poops as soon as she eats wouldnt this take all her nutrients away? Plus my breast feel normal again, not full at all... Could I be loosing my milk?

September 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like you may have a fast let down that she just can't handle. Maybe someone one here can give you advice on it!
September 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Sounds like an overactive letdown!
You can try only offering one breast per 2 hour period. If you feed her at 10 on the right side, and she wants to eat again at 11, offer the right breast. Only offer the left after the 2 hours are up! That way she'll get the good fatty hindmilk and your supply will adjust. Also, it helps to unlatch her when your letdown comes, and spray into a cloth diaper or burp cloth, and then relatch her when it slows down. Or try laying down to nurse so the extra milk can drip out onto a towel. Or try and lean back so she is more on top of your breast, than your breast being pointed down into her mouth.
I had this problem, and as we did those things above and things are better. Also when he became around 3 months old, he could handle the fast flow better. Don't worry about how your breast feels. Your body will adjust and eventually you just won't feel engorged anymore. As long as she is having dirty diapers she's fine!
September 5th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I always kept a burp cloth handy when I nursed DD, because of my overactive letdown. She would usually pop off and that way I was prepared to catch the milk so I didn't make a mess. She learned to deal with it over time though and got better at handling the fast flow of milk. I always let her tell me if she could handle it or not and if she couldn't, I would let her unlatch and latch back on when the flow slowed down.
All breastfed babies start by pooping frequently through the day and usually right after they eat. I'm not sure why it lines up like that, but it's because the breastmilk passes through thier system so quickly. It's not anything to worry about, it's very normal At this point, she is having enough wet and poopy diapers and it's probably not neccesary to wake her to nurse. Some breastfed babies start sleepign 4-5 hour stretches at a few weeks old. Just remember, she needs the sleep to help her grow and develop also. Let her lead the way and try nursing her on demand. As long as she continues to have enough wet and poopy diapers and is gaining weight, then there's no need to worry.
Everyone woman's supply adjusts at some point, some don't get engorged at all from the start. Once your supply establishes, you're less likely to get that full feeling anymore. Many women mistake this as a low supply, but you just have to watch your baby and trust your body. Here's a few links that might help you too.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search