Baby emptying boobs?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a 4 week old who I've been BFing w/ minimal problems since day one. Lately, however, I'm having an issue, particularily at night, where I think DS isn't getting enough to eat. On average he eats every 2 hours for 10 minutes on one side. At night, however, he likes to cluster feed, feeding every hour. The problem is, he also seems to want to eat more at night, too. He'll feed for 10 minutes on one side, then I burp him, and feed him for another 10 minutes on the other side. The problem is this. Say at 7pm I start him on the right boob and follow the routine I just mentioned. He'll finish his feeding then on the left side at around 7:30. He's hungry again by 8. Now, I put him on the left boob b/c I was told to always start with the opposite boob from the time before. Well, about 6 or 7 minutes into his feeding he starts freaking out. He'll suck really hard and wiggle his head around and pull off the boob. He starts crying and rooting. So I put him back on and he does the same thing. So I figure there must not be anything left. I put him on the other boob and the same thing, feed for a few minutes then freak out. What I ended up doing just now, after feeding for about a total of 15 minutes and having him completely freak out, was have DH give him an ounce of milk that I had pumped. Now he just finished and is still looking for more. Is it possible he really is emptying my boobs? Is there something else I should be doing? My other problem is that I can't find a good time to pump b/c I'm afraid that I'm not going to have enough milk when he wants to eat again. What should I do? Right now my boobs are presumably empty and we only have a total of 2 ounces pumped remaining. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cara's sweethearts
September 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most moms have less milk as the day goes on. That along with many babies being more cranky in the evenings and liking to cluster feed before bed can make things difficult.

The best time of day to pump is usually right after the morning feed. Your supply is better then.

September 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Babies to tend to cluster feed at night, and yes, you do make a bit less later in the day. My advice is to stick to one side per feeding, so he gets lots of the fattier hindmilk. This is more satisfying to them. Many of us here only feed one side always and it works very well.

breasts feel empty
nighttime fussiness
foremilk and hindmilk

Also, the fussing is classic growth spurt behavior! growth spurts

But also remember, this too shall pass. In time he will most likely nurse "faster" and have longer periods between feedings. This isn't permanent!
September 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
when Hayden was younger and eating more I would feed him from the same breast if he wanted to eat again in a before 2 hours is up so he would get the hind milk then once 2 hours hit I'd switch sides..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search