Breastfeeding a baby with Acid Reflux?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can this be done? My newborn seems to have acid reflux, she spits up almost every feeding and projectile vomits about 2+ oz at least once a day. At first it was going really well and now she seems to be more fussy and gassy and spits up. I am def. not going to let this get to us if I can help it, but can I please have some advice! She is still having enough wet and poopy diapers approx. 6-8 a day of poopy and normally it's both poop and pee together but anyways atleast she is good on that... Today she was wide awake and she just wanted me to hold her on my chest and she kept looking up at me in a pain look. I felt so bad! I dont want to give her a bottle, although I do have a stash of about 20 bags each with approx. 1-4 oz in the bag. Here lately her latch has been poor, she never clicked before when she drank but sometimes I notice she does and then when I try to work with her she gets impatient and just ends up refusing it and falling asleep.... Im scared, I dont want to starve my baby, I mean she is 2 weeks old she will cry if she is hungry right? Im so emotional with this breastfeeding thing one just because she is my little baby and I want what is best for her and two because my post pregnancy hormones...... SO can I PLEASE get some help???

Oh and I also noticed that here lately she doesnt want to open her mouth to get a good latch and she will start getting mad because the nipple will fall out of her mouth. Why did she go from a great breastfeeder to poorly latching, clicking and being fussy? P.s. I did have pizza 2 days ago, could that be a factor?

September 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hello,

My do I feel your frustration. I was exactly where you are at about 5 months ago. My baby was diagnosed with reflux at about 3 weeks. And yes, it is possible to continue to breastfeed. Actually, it's the best thing for your baby. It easier to digest than formula so it's all around easier on her system. My little girl has been on Zantac. She never projectile vomited, but did spit up alot, arch her back, cry after burping, and was just all around uncomfortable. She also did the clickin noise you are talking about, but I think that had to do more with a poor latch. The Zantac seems to be helping and the doctor said that the dosage she is on right now will be fine for a while. Have you had her to the pediatrician? I'd take her in right away and have her looked at. Hopefully they can give her something, be it Zantac or whatever that can help her. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Mary
September 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Grant had reflux too and I know how awful it is. We got him on zantac and it took a few days to help but it did. I also cut ALL dairy out of my diet and it made a HUGE difference. I accidentally had two spoonfuls of cow's milk and he was MISERABLE again for 3 days. It does take a while to get dairy out of your system tho. Also until the zantac kicked in we gave him gas drops every two hours. It helped to get through. *HUGS* I know how awful it is - I cried SO much but at this point it's a distant memory (except if DH forgets and pots cow's milk in my cereal - I wanted to KILL him).

September 10th, 2008, 12:45 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
So sorry you are going through this. Poor baby. Yes it is possible to keep BFing, and easier on the system than formula feeding. Have you tried laying down to nurse? Check out this andthis.
September 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Can this be done? My newborn seems to have acid reflux, she spits up almost every feeding and projectile vomits about 2+ oz at least once a day. At first it was going really well and now she seems to be more fussy and gassy and spits up. I am def. not going to let this get to us if I can help it, but can I please have some advice! She is still having enough wet and poopy diapers approx. 6-8 a day of poopy and normally it's both poop and pee together but anyways atleast she is good on that... Today she was wide awake and she just wanted me to hold her on my chest and she kept looking up at me in a pain look. I felt so bad! I dont want to give her a bottle, although I do have a stash of about 20 bags each with approx. 1-4 oz in the bag. Here lately her latch has been poor, she never clicked before when she drank but sometimes I notice she does and then when I try to work with her she gets impatient and just ends up refusing it and falling asleep.... Im scared, I dont want to starve my baby, I mean she is 2 weeks old she will cry if she is hungry right? Im so emotional with this breastfeeding thing one just because she is my little baby and I want what is best for her and two because my post pregnancy hormones...... SO can I PLEASE get some help???

Oh and I also noticed that here lately she doesnt want to open her mouth to get a good latch and she will start getting mad because the nipple will fall out of her mouth. Why did she go from a great breastfeeder to poorly latching, clicking and being fussy? P.s. I did have pizza 2 days ago, could that be a factor?[/b]

My heart goes out to you. I worried about my LO having acid reflux because of vomitting.. I think you've already gotten some great advice. Honestly the food we eat can definately be a factor. While thinks like coffee can really affect the baby, so can small things like dairy ~ even just a little. Sometimes it can even take up to three weeks to flush out everything before we see a change in the baby. Chicken, carrots and potatoes until you can pinpoint it.. sorry hon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search