Not getting enough milk

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
I dont understand her sometimes...All the time she wants to not just during growth spurts! Ill feed her for an hour she'll fall asleep for a few mins like shes done or pull off like she's done and then she'll realize shes not on the boob and want to go to eating for another hour!!! Even shoveing her hands in her mouth like shes still hungry. Is she not getting enough milk? And yes she's eating the entire hour not comfort nurseing. Should I be Supplamenting? She is small for her age. I can't Nurse 24 hours a day
September 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would see if it improves after being off of the shield for about a week. A nipple shield can make it harder for your baby to get the milk as efficiently, which can lead to a low supply. Now that you are weaning from it, I would say to wait it out and see if gets better over this next week. If you don't already, nurse her on just one side until she is done and switch only if she still acts hungry. This way she gets the fattier milk at the end of the feeding, which may help her hunger and weight gain. If it is a problem with your supply, it should increase without the shield and nursing on demand.
How many wet/poopy diapers does she have a day?

September 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I agree with Andrea! Do your breasts feel fuller before she eats, or the same after she's done?
September 10th, 2008, 01:14 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
I dont understand her sometimes...All the time she wants to not just during growth spurts! Ill feed her for an hour she'll fall asleep for a few mins like shes done or pull off like she's done and then she'll realize shes not on the boob and want to go to eating for another hour!!! Even shoveing her hands in her mouth like shes still hungry. Is she not getting enough milk? And yes she's eating the entire hour not comfort nurseing. Should I be Supplamenting? She is small for her age. I can't Nurse 24 hours a day [/b]
Sometimes are really draining... (what a terrible pun, eh?) Seriously though I know it's really, really hard at times.

You mentioned she was small for her age.. What she born a little smaller? Are you &/or dh smaller people? My dd was born big and is big now. Many times my dd doesn't fit the doctor's charts because of it.. it's a little unsettling from time to time (especially for me being a first time mom) but the truth is sometimes normal for our babies is just the size they're at, even if it's not fitting a chart. My biggest worry is that because your baby might be a little smaller, a doctor (or another well-meaning professional) may suggest supplementing for "your small baby" when it's not really necessary. (My doctor thinks I should cut back from b/f so my dd will lose weight ~ I think she's nuts.) Trust yourself to know whether or not you think she is getting enough.

Some other ideas I hope you don't mind me suggesting are:
~try just going topless for three days straight. set up camp on the couch, watch movies and nurse like crazy. (Make dh make you food.)
~babyslings so you can go while still nursing.

I remember reading about a mom like yourself who's baby wouldn't quit nursing, even for diaper changes. She had to learn to do diaper changes while nursing! I hope that doesn't intimidate you in anyway. I only mention it because I don't want you to feel alone ~ some babies are just extreme nursers for the first year.

Of course, whichever you decide you need to do I'll respect and support in anyway. I hope it helps you.

Cheers, Michelle
September 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Quote:
I would see if it improves after being off of the shield for about a week. A nipple shield can make it harder for your baby to get the milk as efficiently, which can lead to a low supply. Now that you are weaning from it, I would say to wait it out and see if gets better over this next week. If you don't already, nurse her on just one side until she is done and switch only if she still acts hungry. This way she gets the fattier milk at the end of the feeding, which may help her hunger and weight gain. If it is a problem with your supply, it should increase without the shield and nursing on demand.
How many wet/poopy diapers does she have a day?[/b]
I know she's getting food casue i set out 10 Diapar's for her and she goes threw 6-8 a day. She dos seem to be gulping more now without th sheild so hopefuly that helps.

Quote:
I agree with Andrea! Do your breasts feel fuller before she eats, or the same after she's done?[/b]
Only one of them ( the one she dosn't nurse on at night ) Is hard and full In the AM....Other then that hey seem to Feel Empty all the time. I never get engorged or have to use Pads when I go out.

Quote:
Quote:
I dont understand her sometimes...All the time she wants to not just during growth spurts! Ill feed her for an hour she'll fall asleep for a few mins like shes done or pull off like she's done and then she'll realize shes not on the boob and want to go to eating for another hour!!! Even shoveing her hands in her mouth like shes still hungry. Is she not getting enough milk? And yes she's eating the entire hour not comfort nurseing. Should I be Supplamenting? She is small for her age. I can't Nurse 24 hours a day [/b]
Sometimes are really draining... (what a terrible pun, eh?) Seriously though I know it's really, really hard at times.

You mentioned she was small for her age.. What she born a little smaller? Are you &/or dh smaller people? My dd was born big and is big now. Many times my dd doesn't fit the doctor's charts because of it.. it's a little unsettling from time to time (especially for me being a first time mom) but the truth is sometimes normal for our babies is just the size they're at, even if it's not fitting a chart. My biggest worry is that because your baby might be a little smaller, a doctor (or another well-meaning professional) may suggest supplementing for "your small baby" when it's not really necessary. (My doctor thinks I should cut back from b/f so my dd will lose weight ~ I think she's nuts.) Trust yourself to know whether or not you think she is getting enough.

Some other ideas I hope you don't mind me suggesting are:
~try just going topless for three days straight. set up camp on the couch, watch movies and nurse like crazy. (Make dh make you food.)
~babyslings so you can go while still nursing.

I remember reading about a mom like yourself who's baby wouldn't quit nursing, even for diaper changes. She had to learn to do diaper changes while nursing! I hope that doesn't intimidate you in anyway. I only mention it because I don't want you to feel alone ~ some babies are just extreme nursers for the first year.

Of course, whichever you decide you need to do I'll respect and support in anyway. I hope it helps you.

Cheers, Michelle
[/b]
Im 5'2 DH's 6'3 so we figured she'd be right in the middle. She was shorter then me when she was born...She Is just a pettite baby who seems to want to eat 24/7!!!
I pretty much am glued to the couch all the time, I sit around in gaucho pants and a Nurseing bra... We do have a couple slings that I use when we go out. She likes them cause she likes being close to me all the time. We wound up co-sleeping cause she woundn't go in her bed....I might try Reglan and see a LC soon...Im running ut of Ideas
September 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like shes getting enough, just a huge boob monster like my baby. Sometimes I feel like a human pacifier. Thats cause I am If it seems like shes just pleasure sucking, you could always try a pacifier or distracting her, or give her to someone else to get a break. If my baby had her way, even at 7 months old she would have the boob available constantly. Its annoying, but worth it. And she HAS gotten better, some days are worse than others.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search