Baby starting sleeping through the night

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2008, 05:06 AM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
My son is almost 5 months old and has gone from waking every 1-2 hours during the night to sleeping in longer stretches and sometimes through the night (7-8 hours). When he used to wake every 1-2 hours I think it was more for comfort nursing then being actually hungry. Of course it was exhausting for Mommy, but I let him comfort nurse whenever he wanted.

Since last Friday he has started sleeping longer stretches. He goes down at 8pm for bed and has been pretty random on when he wakes up. It ranges anywhere from 12:30am - 4am. I am worried about my supply on those nights where he sleeps through the night and those nights where he wakes and wants to eat. Last night I was starting to feel engorged, so I woke him up to eat. I probably shouldn't have done that, but I was hurting and like I said I'm worried the random waking times will decrease my supply and then when he does wake up - I won't have enough to feed him.

I am happy he is sleeping longer, but I am definitely going to miss the nightly feedings when he starts sleeping through the night all the time.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
September 10th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was worried when my son started sleeping through the night, (hes 4 months now) but your supply will adjust to your baby's needs. A few nights I was engorged and had to pump. (I would never wake up my baby to nurse! Once he's asleep I want to keep it that way!), but now I don't have to. He nurses at about 8pm before bed and he gets up at nurse in the am between 6:30am and 7. I am very full at this point and glad to get some relief, but not so uncomfortable that I would have to pump in the night. He occasinally wakes up in the night and I will let him nurse if he wants to. Don't worry about not having enough. Your body will adjust to his needs, It really is about supply and demand.

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
September 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My baby has been sleeping through the night since she was about 6 weeks old. I woke up engorged for awhile and eventually evened out. I only wake up somewhat engorged now if I drink a ton before I go to bed.

September 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It seems like the back and forth would be hard on your supply, but it will be fine. My supply always did the same thing with the sparodic wakings. If she woke up one night and not the next, I would get engorged. Chances are, that will be your biggest problem. Your supply is prepared for this type of nursing pattern, so it won't decrease dramatically if he doesn't nurse for a few nights in a row. You'll still have plenty there to feed him when he does wake up. When you get engorged, try to just hand express to relieve the discomfort. On nights like that, I would take a shower and hand express and that helped me get comfortable enough to sleep and make it until she nursed again.

Expecting baby #4!

September 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
It will adjust but I completely understand your worry. I swear for a whole year I worried if I would run out. Only now am I starting to feel confident that my body will adjust. I wish we all got a handbook that would tell us, expect to feel like you're never making enough milk when you really are.

Keep us updated or vent away here.
September 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I agree with the previous posters. It's so hard to do, but trust your body. It's an amazing thing and it will regulate all the time to make the right amount! If you are feeling so engorged to the point of being in pain, try hand expressing a bit and letting it spray into a towel. Make sure not resist the urge to pump because it will only signal your body to keep making more and the problem will only get worse!
September 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For the first 2 months or so Lukas would wake around 4 to nurse and then again around 730 or 8. In the last month he quit waking at 4. I woke up a few mornings soaked and had to express some to quit leaking all over the place and get comfy enough to go back to sleep. After a week or so it was fine.
September 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
Thanks for all your replies!

I'm just trying to trust my body. I think that is what I needed to hear.. still feeling more engorged these days, but it's not too painful. Just a little uncomfortable.

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
September 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
It's definately weird at first isn't it? Amazing our bodies do this!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search