Relactate help!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Here is some of the information I have:

DS isnt really nursing anymore. Well he is interested because he comes up to me and finds a way to get to them, then latches, gets nothing and becomes kind of angry and repeats the cycle. I was wondering if you knew of anyway i could maybe "relactate" or increase the very little supply i have. I drink plenty of water and juice already. Ive started taking Fenugreek and goats rue again. Im going to the herb store on friday to see what else i can find to make a tea out of. Im drinking the last of my mothers milk tea also. I started pumping tonight just to get stimulation. I pumped each side for 20 minutes. I got maybe 10 drops. Not even enough to go to the bottle. Not very encouraging. Frankly im not ready to let go. It may be selfish of me, but im not forcing him, he's wanting it. He cant stay away from them when he's in my lap. But i have nothing for him. Am i forgetting something? Is it too late? I just started all of this today. Im gonna pump religiously now. Just to get the stimulation going. I have a Medela PIS, so its not a cheap pump either. I dont have anyone IRL to talk to this about because they all say he's ready, you nursed so long its about time and other unencouraging comments. I want him to continue getting the benefits of nursing. Should i cut back on his liquids during the day so he will accept the boob more? What else can i do? Ive gotten him to nurse 3 times today and he's been up since 7:30. Actually he came to me practically ripped my shirt off and contorted all funny like to latch on.

Any suggestions ladies?
September 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How old is this little one?

It sounds like she is doing all the right things to relactate. Pumping regularly (every 2-3 hours would be my suggestion), taking fenugreek, and letting him nurse on demand. I would say she should keep up what she is doing and her supply will be back in no time. I wouldn't cut back on his food or drink, he is likely wanting to nurse purely for comfort, and if she has a low supply at this point, he will still need it. As her supply increases, he will cut back on his own as needed. My only suggestion is just to keep him close and let him nurse on demand. He'll likely show more interest as her supply increases.

Here's a link on relactation, but I'm not sure if it has any other suggestions: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

Expecting baby #4!

September 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did some reading on relaction awhile ago, and I think I remember reading that a woman should pump/nurse every 2 -3hrs around the clock.

Oatmeal, the real stuff, not the instant is a god send. So are Monster Cookies I've never taken Fenugreek, but I know its 3 capsels 3X a day. For some women a beer helps too. Drinking lots of water helps.

I've never tried Mothers Milk Tea cause I never found it anywhere.

I dont have much advice, I hope it all works out for her

September 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Super Mommy
no advice, but a big hug. It sounds like neither child nor mom are ready to stop nursing. Sorry that others aren't supportive.

September 10th, 2008, 12:10 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
How old is this little one?[/b]
He would be about 13-14 months..

Great advice so far ladies ~ I really appreicate the link too! I'll let you know as I find out how she is doing.
September 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Girl_interrupted
Oatmeal (make cookies, eat it for breakfast, have it for snack...)

what she's already doing is great!

DON'T STRESS! That hinders supply.

Also-don't necessarily live by what the pump is telling you. With my DD#3, I couldn't pump to save my life... I could, however, hand express ounces at a time. Try that!!! Get into a warm shower and stimulate the milk and pump it off yourself. It may sound strange, but it works! I could get plenty that way and none through pumping.

Good luck!
September 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I agree with the oatmeal. I even just eat the instant kind for breakfast and I see a HUGE decrease in my supply when I run out.
September 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I think you guys have some great advice!

Update: Our mom wants to thank you all for all the encouragement and support! She's going to be trying everything so let's keep her in our thoughts and prayers! Thanks ladies!
September 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope she is successful! KUP!

Expecting baby #4!

September 17th, 2008, 08:19 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Well, I'm back reporting the news.. Her son decided it was time and she is offically done. This mama breastfed for over a year so while she is sad it's over, she did a great job.

Hey, thanks again ladies for all your help from the both of us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search