BF anxiety...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
*Helen*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm due to deliver my second baby next week, BF was not a great experience last time. I took every supplement I could and only ended up pumping for about 8 weeks before my supply was non-existent. My problem is I have a VERY inverted nipple on one side so feeding was hugely difficult without a great latch. I was able to nurse well off the other side but after a few days it looked like hamburger from overuse! The BF clinic had me use a shield while they healed and thats when my supply dropped.
Here I am 2 years later wondering what to do. I've been to see the BF clinic already and they recommended wearing a shell in the hopes of drawing the inverted nipple out, problem is I can't wear it to long b/c it starts contractions. I have the RX already filled to boost my supply, I've rented the pump, I'm set to go and I'm TERRIFIED.
The pain was off the charts last time and I'm so scared of failing again but I feel like I have to try. On the other hand I don't have the time to sit and nurse/pump/feed all day, my poor 2 year old would not understand. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just pump and bottlefeed or are there any other tips I could try?
Thanks for reading this far

September 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Wow, I don't have much advice but wanted to commend you for trying again. You are an amazing mom for wanting to make it work the second time! I don't know much about inverted nipples but I found these links for you:

Please keep us posted! And congrats.
September 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
*Helen*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much for the links, there's a lot of good advice and info for me to read!

September 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM
~Jackie
Wishing you well
September 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nipple shields are known to reduce how efficiently your baby can nurse, so low supply can be a problem with them. Did you use the shield on one or both sides? Without having BTDT, I don't know how nursing is with inverted nipples. I would suggest trying without a shield to start off with, and just see how your new baby does. If you need to use the shield, I would use it on just one, and work closely with a lactation consultant. Remember that latch problems are common too, in any newborn baby, and it just takes a little practice. Definitely work with a lactation consultant as closely as possible and have you thought about getting in contact with your local La Leche League? You might be suprised to find another mother who's been through the same thing and can give you advice.
Start by taking it one day at a time, and get as much help as you can. It can be helpful to remind yourself that these problems are only temporary, or the pain is only temporary and will get better each day. Once you know there is that light at the end of the tunnel, it is very motivating to keep going.
Maybe talk to the other ladies in our PR about juggling a toddler and nursing baby and see if they have suggestions on how to do it. It can be done, and I'm sure adding a baby to the bunch is overwhelming when you already have a toddler anyway. Feel free to PM me if you need any encouragement or help, especially in the early days.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search