A little bit of formula

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Is It ok to give them 1 bottle of formula a day? I was thinking maybe giving her one before bedtime to help her sleep better also I can't pump cause I just dont make enough to be able to pump so Im wondering If I can give her a bottle then also? I know It's gonna effect my supply but I plan on nurseing ALL the time. Just everyonce In a while give her a bottle?
September 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We give Rylinn 2 oz of formula every night...I don't see a problem with it
September 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd be careful. The first time we tried giving Nathan formula he threw up for 18 hours or so. His little belly just couldn't tolerate it. We had to slowly introduce it to him (1/2 oz forumula mixed with 5.5 oz BM for a few days, then 1 oz/5 oz, and so on). If she had had it from the beginning her tummy would probably be used to it, but since she's had all BM she may have problems.

If you give the bottle of formula, you HAVE to pump instead, otherwise you will just tell your body not to produce as much!

September 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
From what I understand, giving formula at night does not necessarily help babies sleep better.
(source)
Personally, I wouldn't do it because I would be too afraid that my supply might start to drop, and it's always hard to try and fix a dwindling supply!
September 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
From what I understand, giving formula at night does not necessarily help babies sleep better.
(source)
Personally, I wouldn't do it because I would be too afraid that my supply might start to drop, and it's always hard to try and fix a dwindling supply![/b]

Have you tried calling a LLL member to help?
September 11th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to say that a bottle a night wont necesarily help them sleep longer at all.We started giving Noelia a bottle before bed when she hit 3 months,and she STOPPED sleeping all night.
She keep tossing and turning and started wanting to nurse every 2 hours
I stopped giving her a bottle and went back to EBFing due to this,and she went back to sleeping all night again about a week later.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

September 11th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally I wouldnt do the formula. I would lose it on anyone that tried to feed it to my baby. But thats me

There are some ffing moms in my pr that have/had babies that dont sleep all night. I think it all depends on the baby, not what they are fed. I've heard that a good indication of how your baby will sleep depends on how you were as a baby, and the baby's father. I slept good, my bf slept good, our baby sleeps good. Dont know how accurate that is, but it was for us.

September 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Personally I wouldnt do the formula. I would lose it on anyone that tried to feed it to my baby. But thats me

There are some ffing moms in my pr that have/had babies that dont sleep all night. I think it all depends on the baby, not what they are fed. I've heard that a good indication of how your baby will sleep depends on how you were as a baby, and the baby's father. I slept good, my bf slept good, our baby sleeps good. Dont know how accurate that is, but it was for us.[/b]
I dont know if thats the case. I LOVE to sleep. DH is an average sleeper...DD NEVER sleeps. I want to ive her formula cause shes ALWAYS hungry and I feel like breastmilk isn't enough. I just want her to feel fuller...
September 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So true, we supplemented Abigail the first few weeks, during the night, and it never made a difference in how she slept (Just a note, neither does cereal before bed, my mom swore by it, but DD never slept a minute longer when I gave it to her). Formula does stick in thier belly longer, because it takes longer to digest, but it's harder to digest too, which is harder on thier systems (which is why FF babies tend to get constipated). At her age (based on your blinkie) she is waking for other reasons, not just to fill her belly. 3 months seems to be a magical age for sleep regression too. We went through it and I've heard the same from many other moms. DD was sleeping 7-8 hours straight and jumped back into waking every 2-3 hours every night.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
September 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
ACJmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a lurker here but I wanted to add something to this one. I have been giving DD 1 bottle of formula with rice cereal in it every night before bed since she was 2 mos old because she has reflux and that is what her pedi recommended before trying meds and it has worked so that is what we have stuck with. She has not slept any better because of it,but she was sleeping through the night before that, so I think she is just a good sleeper. But it has also never effected my supply either, and I do not pump at that time either. It took a week or so but my body adjusted to her not eating at that time and I have had no issues with my supply what so ever.

So I would say that it is not going to kill her to give her some formula every night but don't expect it to make her sleep any longer, because that may not happen. It is up to you and whatever you decide I am sure she will be just fine. I guess the question to ask yourself is , is it going to be worth it if it doesn't have the effect you want??

Good Luck!!

September 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Quote:

There are some ffing moms in my pr that have/had babies that dont sleep all night. I think it all depends on the baby, not what they are fed. I've heard that a good indication of how your baby will sleep depends on how you were as a baby, and the baby's father. I slept good, my bf slept good, our baby sleeps good. Dont know how accurate that is, but it was for us.[/b]
I dont know if thats the case. I LOVE to sleep. DH is an average sleeper...DD NEVER sleeps. I want to ive her formula cause shes ALWAYS hungry and I feel like breastmilk isn't enough. I just want her to feel fuller...
[/b]
I hope you don't mind the advice.. I just want you and your baby to have a great breastfeeding relationship.

I wonder if it's something more.. When dd was born, the first place we took her to was a chiropractor. He has three kids and we've been seeing him for 10 years. I trust him.. Lots of kids have a tough go at the birth and it's not corrected. For some it's so bad then can't even properly latch on side of the breast compared to the other. I mentioned in the other thread there are slings that help so you can feed them while on the go too.

Quote:
I am a lurker here but I wanted to add something to this one. I have been giving DD 1 bottle of formula with rice cereal in it every night before bed since she was 2 mos old because she has reflux and that is what her pedi recommended before trying meds and it has worked so that is what we have stuck with. She has not slept any better because of it,but she was sleeping through the night before that, so I think she is just a good sleeper. But it has also never effected my supply either, and I do not pump at that time either. It took a week or so but my body adjusted to her not eating at that time and I have had no issues with my supply what so ever.

So I would say that it is not going to kill her to give her some formula every night but don't expect it to make her sleep any longer, because that may not happen. It is up to you and whatever you decide I am sure she will be just fine. I guess the question to ask yourself is , is it going to be worth it if it doesn't have the effect you want??

Good Luck!![/b]
I think this is a great post ~ thanks so much for coming out of lurking to help her!
September 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I also wanted to add my experience with solids. My son is a terrible sleeper, at around 4 months he started waking up 7 times a night. I thought my milk was maybe not enough and that he was ready for solids, and I counted down the days until he turned 6 months. The solids made absolutely no difference. In fact his sleep regressed even more after the introduction of solids, now he wakes up sometimes hourly.
September 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM
PuNkLiVz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i would wait till after 6 weeks, after that there shouldn't be any problems

<div align="center"></div>
September 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I think I just get soooooo Frustrated when she goes threw her growth spurts that Im willing to try ANYTHING!!! I want to do whats best for her and am barely starting to like breastfeeding....It's taken me a while to gte used to it. I dont think I could really stop. I do enjoy the bonding time. I just hear from all my friends that they give there LO's a bottle of formula around 8pm and they dont wake till 6am to eat and back to bed for a few more hours...Cambria wakes 1-3 times a night. She changes her schedule ALL the time. Plus she sleeps in our bed ( everytime she falls asleep and I move her she's awake waiting to eat again ) so In that way It's asier to feed her....Thanks for the Advice girls..I know that the many times Ive wanted to throw in the towel I come here and you all make me feel so much better!!!!
September 19th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
1-3 times a night isn't bad for 3 months old. There are plenty of formula-fed babies who still wake just as often, so take comfort in knowing that it's not how she is fed that affects her sleep. It's also very common for a baby's sleep schedule to change constantly. It's rare for a baby to sleep through the night from a few months old and stick with it. Co-sleeping babies sometimes wake to nurse more at night, because it's available to them and they get in the habit of having it there when they want it. I'm not saying that you should stop co-sleeping (I wish I would have co-slept with DD), you're actually probably getting more sleep with her in bed with you because you don't have to get up to nurse her. If it gets to be too much, there are ways to night-wean a co-sleeping baby, but I would suggest waiting until she's a little older for that. Right now, she could still be waking that 1 or 2 times (maybe even more some nights) because she actually needs the nutrition during the night.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
September 19th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Super Mommy
You have already gotten great advice.

You are having trouble with supply? Then you know that adding formula will make the supply go down. And if her tummy is sensitive to sugery cow milk then she will sleep less. I know I sleep poorly after eating junk food. If you wean her from the nipple shield it will up your supply and better youyr breastfeeding relationship. Now there is an artificle device between you and your baby. If you shed it you will gain sooo much confidence. The intimicy will increase and you will be empowered by it.

Some babies do not sleep well at night and it is who they are. Remewmber that your little person is not the same as your friends' babies.
Some babies do eat every hour and it is very normal. My first son did this all day and all night. By three months he could find his own food and feed himself. Once your daughter can feed herself you will get more sleep even though she will still be eating the same number of times. He was always hungry. He thought any breast would feed him and when other women asked to hold him they were attacked. He was 25 lbs by ten months and never sick. There are many variations of normal.

Things will improve if you trust your body and allow your baby to be herself. I know you can do it.

Mom to boys: G 7, C 5, K 4, N 3

September 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Quote:
You have already gotten great advice.

You are having trouble with supply? Then you know that adding formula will make the supply go down. And if her tummy is sensitive to sugery cow milk then she will sleep less. I know I sleep poorly after eating junk food. If you wean her from the nipple shield it will up your supply and better youyr breastfeeding relationship. Now there is an artificle device between you and your baby. If you shed it you will gain sooo much confidence. The intimicy will increase and you will be empowered by it.

Some babies do not sleep well at night and it is who they are. Remewmber that your little person is not the same as your friends' babies.
Some babies do eat every hour and it is very normal. My first son did this all day and all night. By three months he could find his own food and feed himself. Once your daughter can feed herself you will get more sleep even though she will still be eating the same number of times. He was always hungry. He thought any breast would feed him and when other women asked to hold him they were attacked. He was 25 lbs by ten months and never sick. There are many variations of normal.

Things will improve if you trust your body and allow your baby to be herself. I know you can do it.[/b]

haha, ya we call her a ravenous dog cause she acts like she never eats! Whenever someone holds her she lunges at there boobs too
September 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM
littamomto4's Avatar Super Mommy
Good luck Amy you will do whatever is best for YOUR situation!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search