Breast Feeding Issue

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM
lilgigglez1023's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lilgigglez1023 Send a message via Yahoo to lilgigglez1023
Hi my name is christina & I just had a baby on August 29th. I have be exclusively breastfeeding him since he's been born. DH has given him a few bottles of BM but he still has had NO formula at all. As of 2 days ago I put him at the breast and he latches on good but after about 2 minutes of sucking he lets go and starts screaming like someone is killing him. I dont know why & its bugging me because I feel like he's in alot of pain. I know I'm not starving him because when he's asleep I pump and freeze it and I havent had to touch that stash until about 2 days ago when all this started. I am miserable thinking something is wrong with my baby. I burp him right after hes done with each breast and I dont try to force him to finish by a certain time. I also know I'm making enough milk because when I do pump I end up getting about 8-9 oz from both breast combined in one session. So please if anyone has gone through this could you give me some advice on how to fix the problem. I dont want him to get used to the bottle. If there is no turning back then I am determined to get a more expensive pump and exclusively pump because I do want him to have BM atleast until 6 months of age or longer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Love getting FREE stuff? Come Swag with me and you can rack up too.
September 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does he have any white spots in his mouth, or a thick white film on his tongue?? Do you have any breast pain, or are you nipples pink, cracked or bleeding?? My baby let go and screamed when we had thrush.

September 10th, 2008, 07:35 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
First off, congrats on the new baby!
Secondly, it sounds a lot like nipple confusion to me. I think most BF experts recommend waiting about 6 weeks until introducing a bottle. Sounds like maybe your baby has become used to the fast flow of the bottle, and is becoming very confused and impatient at the breast, waiting for your letdown and having to work harder for the milk to come out. Here are a few links that might offer you some suggestions to help the problem, assuming there's not another issue going on.
Hugs. Hang in there, the first weeks can be tough!
September 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ditto the nipple confusion. I'd stop giving bottles for a few weeks. Sounds like he prefers the instant gratification of a bottle rather than having to work at getting the milk from the breast.

September 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I re read your post, and actually yeah it does sound more like nipple confusion, dont know how I missed he has had bottles

How are things now??

September 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Hi my name is christina & I just had a baby on August 29th. I have be exclusively breastfeeding him since he's been born. DH has given him a few bottles of BM but he still has had NO formula at all. As of 2 days ago I put him at the breast and he latches on good but after about 2 minutes of sucking he lets go and starts screaming like someone is killing him. I dont know why & its bugging me because I feel like he's in alot of pain. I know I'm not starving him because when he's asleep I pump and freeze it and I havent had to touch that stash until about 2 days ago when all this started. I am miserable thinking something is wrong with my baby. I burp him right after hes done with each breast and I dont try to force him to finish by a certain time. I also know I'm making enough milk because when I do pump I end up getting about 8-9 oz from both breast combined in one session. So please if anyone has gone through this could you give me some advice on how to fix the problem. I dont want him to get used to the bottle. If there is no turning back then I am determined to get a more expensive pump and exclusively pump because I do want him to have BM atleast until 6 months of age or longer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
[/b]
I don't disagree it could be nipple confusion. I just wanted to add that when dd would do that, I would go to the chiropractor to get both of us adjusted and the problem would work itself out. (Maybe one more tool that might help ~ IDK.)

Good luck and keep us updated!
September 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hi,
Does he seem to have a lot of gas build up in his stomach that you have noticed? After he stops BF press on his stomach to see if you feel any gas bubbles? My little girl, who is now 16 months, we just found out that she has lactose intolerance and thats what was wrong with her. She would scream everytime she would nurse because of all the gas passing through her system. The Dr's thought it was cholic but ended up being lacotse problems. You may have to cut out your intake of dairy, chocolate, caffine, and peanuts. Those are things that could cause problems.
Hope everything turns out fine.
Rachael
September 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
Hi there and congrats on your new little one. DS was doing something like this for awhile too and it turned out to be acid reflux. have you tried nursing in different positions? if it is reflux then sitting up more or laying flatter on his tummy would help him, if not then i would say nipple confusion too. i don't think it is a lactose thing if he takes the bottle fine. Good luck. Keep us posted!

September 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM
lilgigglez1023's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lilgigglez1023 Send a message via Yahoo to lilgigglez1023
Thanks for the help ladies. I got him to take the breast again without him screaming but he still seems to be crying alot more AFTER we nurse so I think he has a lot of gas. He does burp and pass gas more than normal and its bugging me thinking he's in pain. I started only letting dad give him a bottle once a day and thats it the rest of the day he BF. The milk I pump I'm just freezing it or giving it to my 1 year old in her sippy cup.

Im going to ask his pedi what can I do about the gas because its not making it any better that he has acid reflux that was confirmed last week at his first check up.

Love getting FREE stuff? Come Swag with me and you can rack up too.
September 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I lurk here but I just wanted to add that I had this problem with Matilda after eating mint or chocolate. Also, garlic is a serious problem for her. I don't even know if it makes her gassy or not because after I eat garlic she will NOT nurse from me, I have to pump and dump for a day and a half because she won't touch the stuff--so just a few more ideas.
Additionally, she has a milk protein problem, but that was a totally separate issue (different in stools, extreemely gassy and uncomfortable, and went away when I cut dairy and came back when I added it back in) but that was different than the chocolate/mint and garlic issue--for those she would scream at the breast and with garlic she would actually spit out the milk (not like spit up, like wouldn't even swallow it)
Good luck!

Mom to four beautiful girls

September 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It can be so hard & confusing when they are so small & can't tell us why they are fussy. It could be many things - including all the things listed here - or none of the above. It could just be colicky behavior as well. I tried a MILLION things to help Ds "feel better" - and in the and it went away like it was never there in the first place & I don't think anything I did really helped. I did find that swaddling, shushing & bouning helped us - but those are all things you do for colic - unrelated to BF/FF, etc.... So I think you probably will just have to try a few things, see if they help & then try some more. Good luck - I know how frustrating it is & all you want to do is make them happy.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search