Any working pumping/Breasfeeding moms??

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I have went back to work this week and I am pumping at work.

Right now I nurse her before I leave @ 8:00 am and then I pump 3 times while I'm at work...I get 14 or 15 oz total all day. I then nurse her all night also. I'm just really worried about keeping up with her. She has been taking between 12-15 oz per day...but what about when she starts taking more? How will my body know to produce more if I don't nurse her all day?

I'm just concerned I will have to start supplementing when she is bigger..which if I have to that is fine--but would like to avoid.

Any advice is appreciated--Thank you!!!
September 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I work 3 thirteen hour days and have been pumping for 4 months now and he has not had a drop of formula yet. I only pump about 12-14 ounces a day and I even have a good stash in the freezer. One way to have extra is to pump one side while you are feeding the other, even if you only do that once a day on the weekends or in the evening. The other thing that I think has helped a lot is that dh only warms up as much as ds will drink. When ds was younger, dh would only heat up 2 ounces and then do another ounce or two if he still seemed hungry. Now he takes 4 ounces, but he no longer eats every 2-3 hours, he eats ever 4-5 (except when I am home he still nurses often). Your dd will probably not increase the amount she takes in at each feeding until she starts spacing the feedings out more too. I read on Kellymom that a breastfed baby only consumes an average of 25 ounces of breastmilk.
September 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not working now, but when I was exclusively pumping for Nathan, I was only able to pump 4 times a day during the week and I was doing fine. Can you pump extra in the morning after you nurse her? That would probably stimulate your body to make more, or even if you were only able to do it on the weekends it could help build up some extra. Knowing you have plenty stored will put you more at ease and then your supply dhouldn't suffer bc of stress! Good luck!
September 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
I've been pumping while at work for 5 months now and have been able to keep up. For awhile I had to pump once at home after she went to bed but now I am able to keep up without doing that. If you can get some milk into the freezer so you don't have to worry about not pumping enough. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
September 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
Christy hit it right on the head, baby will be eating approx. 25 ounces a day its just how often they are eating that changes so don't worry about not making enough in the future. And if you keep pumping as often as you are your body will continue to get the signal to keep producing. And getting a small stash would help ease your mind too. You're doing a great job. Keep it up mama!

September 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I don't have any experience but I wanted to tell you girls I so admire your determination here ~ you're great mamas!
September 11th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am pumping while at work. I miss 3-4 feedings a day so I pump for every feeding I miss. I am having some supply issues right now but that is due to a huge change in a lot of ways. However, I wanted to say that Lawson is 4 months old and I have not increased his bottles at all and he is doing fine.

When he first started I gave him 3 ozs. He was eating every two hours so I made is bottles 3.5 ozs and he still ate every two hours. Now his bottles are stil 3.5 ozs and he eats every 3-4 hours. But I can tell that the fat content in my pumped milk is a lot more than it was when I first started. So even if you always pump 15 ozs a day odds are he will still eat the same amount, your body will just give him what he needs without increasing the ozs.

Good Luck and WTG pumping while working is a lot of work!

(1)
September 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you girls soo much for your answers! I have a stash--it was about 200 oz before I started--I pumped 2 times a day while I was off. I just didn't know if she would start eating more, and was worried about that!

I won't stress soo much then...you made me feel better!!
September 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
skat's Avatar Veteran
Definately don't stress. You can do this!

Drink LOTS of water during the day and keep taking your pre-natal vitamins. The vitamins make a HUGE difference in the amount I can pump. You can try breast compressions to get a better output as well.

Great job, mama!

BTW- I'm a fellow Buckeye!!

</div>

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Arial Black">Sarah- Loving mama to Ally and Katy</div></span>
September 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I worried about the same thing when I returned to work. That she would start wanting more and my body wouldn't know to produce more w/ pumping. That was over 7 mos ago & we are still going strong!! It sounds like you have a great stash and your pumping output sounds great. I've had a few supply dips due to various reasons. Stress, first PP AF, etc. An extra pumping session at home for a few days corrected this. I've really only used my stash to rotate it and a few times during growth spurts. My DD has taken b/w 12 & 15oz while I'm at since she was about 3 or 4 mos, of course now she gets solids as well. Good Luck!! It's tiring sometimes but so worth it.
September 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I jsut wanted to add that at 18 months - my DS takes 6 oz of BM & has since about 7-8 months. It has never increased - but as a PP said - you sure can see a difference in teh layer of fat that will separate in the fridge. It's like half fat now. I think that is both weird & really cool.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search