Newbie with an issue

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Veteran
Hi ladies:

I just found this forum and thank god I have NO ONE to talk to about BFing.

I am a 1st time mom to be and want to give the best to my baby so I thought I decided to BF. My mom, mom in law and no one in my OR DH family have never done it and they think its gross and I do too. (I DO NOT mean to offend anyone AT ALL) that's not what this post is about....its about WHY would I think its gross when I know its suppose to be natural??? I mean I know in other countries its the norm. I was really wanting to do the best for the LO and now I am thinking I can't, it's gross. Then I was thinking I could pump only and bottle feed her that way - would she still get the same benefits?? I know it helps me lose weight, etc. but would I still get the same benefits? This is/was something I really wanted to do for her but now I am scared.....

Thanks for listening!! Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated, I'm just confused now

Please Don't Breed or Buy while Shelter Animals Die!!
September 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
JMTSMOMMA's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well you certainly don't have any breast-feeding role models which is a little sad actually. I can tell you one thing, that once you meet your beautiful baby I can almost guarantee you will not feel "gross" about providing your child with the best and most natural form of nutrition there is. Breastfeeding provides an unexplainable bond between you and your LO. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced. Just try! It sounds like you want to offer your baby the best you can so you are already a great Momma. Imagine how you will feel once you succeed!

~Sometimes the days seem long, but the years are so very short.~

September 12th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Veteran
Thanks for the reply and not judging me, it took me awhile to post but I knew I had to get over this.

I DO want to give her the BEST nutrition possible and I guess not having any BF role models anywhere near me isn't helping either. I have the book that I am going to start reading tonight (I wanted to wait till it was closer so I would remember more, ha) and I have a 4 hr class on DVD that I bought that I will watch this weekend or next. My DH doesn't/won't talk about my decision so I am not sure if he will support me, but I am sure he'll support when he see's how much $ we'll save on formula! But I dont want that to be the ONLY reason he supports me, but I guess I will take what I can get.

I don't know why I think its 'gross' other than maybe its in my head that breasts are only for one thing only and THIS is my biggest obstacle I need to get over.

Thanks

September 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
ACJmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your breasts are for one thing only: feeding your baby!!! that is what they are there for As far as your DH goes I would just tell him that it is important to you to give this a try and he should support you for that reason, not because he agrees with you or it is what he wants. It is your choice and don't let anyone make you feel bad for wanting what is best for your baby.

GOOD LUCK & CONGRATULATIONS

September 12th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When you meet your baby just look at it as a piece of you that just came from your body the same as your breast is a part of your body. You may feel uncomfortable around your whole family to nurse at first, but you could ask them to leave and try. It might actually help you so you are relaxed just you and your baby. It's something you may have to adjust to or get used to, but it's wonderful. It's actually a beautiful bond! I looked down at my tiny lil girl and knew that it was my duty as a mother to give her the best and it was so great knowing my body was continuing her life on the outside of being in my belly which still amazes me. It is difficult at times and a bit uncomfortable around certain people, but when my lil girl starts whimpering and rooting for food I just dont care. I feed her.

I have had to get a routine while out in stores, but its pretty easy after the first time or two. I just take a receiving blanket with me and wrap the corner around my bra strap and it covers us. I normally go to an aisle where no one is so I can get her to latch well and then we just walk where ever because being covered I am not offending anyone.... If you were really uncomfortable you could try nursing in the car or dressing room, etc. But, you will get over that uncomfy stage after awhile.....

I hope you can look at it as a beautiful thing rather than gross, your body made your child why not continue her life the best way on the outside? It's better to stand up for what you believe in, even if your the only one standing!

September 12th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont think you would be judged here at all. I'm sure many of us have felt kinda weirded out in one way or another about bfing, especially as a first time mother. Boobs are displayed as sexual objects in our society, not as a food source which is what they are meant for. Its like how you have women with huge boobs on magazine covers barely covered is acceptable, but a bfing mother which you cant see anything at all is considered gross.

I felt weirded out about it at first, almost like it was gross when I was pregnant, even though I KNEW I was going to bf. Its what feels right. I had books and the internet for researching and I didnt bother thinking it was birth, put baby to boob, done. Its not that easy!! LOL I battled thrush a few months ago, let me tell you about pain LOL. I didnt even know what thrush was, wouldnt if it wasnt for JM. My baby is 100% breastfed, has been from day one. You will get over that "gross" feeling very quickly. Trust me

I would do a lot of research on the health benefits and start quoting them, leave the info lying around. Someone mentioned that in another post, the bathroom being the best place to "leave it lying around'. Someone posted this in the bfing/ffing debate boards and I love love love it, I even posted it in my Facebook http://www.notmilk.com/101.html

It seems to me that saving cord blood is becoming more and more common for the stem cells. Did you know breastmilk has stem cells in it?? I've actually used that in a "friendly discussion" about why I'm STILL bfing at 4 months a few months ago......

Once I actually started doing research on the differences of breastmilk and formula, Im SO GLAD that I never even considered formula and have made a personal decision that she will never have any.

Breastfeeding has practically become my passion and obsession, Im still researching and learning new things all the time and my baby is 7 months old. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I can talk about this for hours LOL. As Im sure you can see by my long response

September 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Veteran
Quote:
I dont think you would be judged here at all. I'm sure many of us have felt kinda weirded out in one way or another about bfing, especially as a first time mother. Boobs are displayed as sexual objects in our society, not as a food source which is what they are meant for. Its like how you have women with huge boobs on magazine covers barely covered is acceptable, but a bfing mother which you cant see anything at all is considered gross.

I felt weirded out about it at first, almost like it was gross when I was pregnant, even though I KNEW I was going to bf. Its what feels right. I had books and the internet for researching and I didnt bother thinking it was birth, put baby to boob, done. Its not that easy!! LOL I battled thrush a few months ago, let me tell you about pain LOL. I didnt even know what thrush was, wouldnt if it wasnt for JM. My baby is 100% breastfed, has been from day one. You will get over that "gross" feeling very quickly. Trust me

I would do a lot of research on the health benefits and start quoting them, leave the info lying around. Someone mentioned that in another post, the bathroom being the best place to "leave it lying around'. Someone posted this in the bfing/ffing debate boards and I love love love it, I even posted it in my Facebook http://www.notmilk.com/101.html

It seems to me that saving cord blood is becoming more and more common for the stem cells. Did you know breastmilk has stem cells in it?? I've actually used that in a "friendly discussion" about why I'm STILL bfing at 4 months a few months ago......

Once I actually started doing research on the differences of breastmilk and formula, Im SO GLAD that I never even considered formula and have made a personal decision that she will never have any.

Breastfeeding has practically become my passion and obsession, Im still researching and learning new things all the time and my baby is 7 months old. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I can talk about this for hours LOL. As Im sure you can see by my long response [/b]
Thank you so much, I just may PM you sometime!

I saved your link to look at when I get home!

I really don't want to give my LO formula, ever and I am truly hoping I dont have to. If I can't get over the creeps about the BFing, then I will at the least pump. Does she (and I) still get the benefits if I pump?

September 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your baby will still get the benefits if you pump & feed. I think your benefits (meaning weight loss & extended time w/ no AF) vary from person to person whether or not they BF or pump. However I would make your main goal BFing. It's so much easier than pumping. Like the other have said if you realize that there is nothing sexual about BFing and BFing is what your breast are there for you will probably get over the "that's gross" feeling. I hope your DH decides to support your decision. It really is a wonderful experience & I can honestly say it is one of the best and most rewarding decision I have made as a mother. The ladies here are wonderful and if you have any questions/doubts they are always glad to help. Good for you for wanting to do what is best for your baby.
September 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
littlestinkers
I just want to say yeah for you to to think of bfing... I have bf my 3 dc.. My oldest is 3.5 years old now and self weaned at 16 months never had formula. My twins are 13 months and I am still bfing them and I would never give that up. I love the bond that I was able to share with them and I do feel that I had a deeper bond due to bfing it is such a great thing to share with a baby. I think pumping is a pain I really don't think I would have been able to bf my dc if I had to pump. You ahve to wash all the pump parts and bottles and then the time to pump and then the time to bottle feed.... In the night I can just bf and not have to mess with pumping or bottles. but for some women bfing is just not for them. I really think that you should try it and when you do have the ob nurse help you. When I first tried to get my 1st ds to my breast it was like trying to run backwards with your eye close in the woods and I even took the bfing class.... LOL Once the nurse helped me get ds there and then help me with shaping my breast it was so easy... But once you try to bf if it is not for you then it is not for you. But if you never try you well never know....

Congrats and GL...
September 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Veteran
I'm definitely going to TRY, but I just can't get over the whole thing. I'm trying to educated myself with videos, books and internet but the more I read/see the more it rubs me the wrong way. But I am going to at least give it a try before I just exclusively pump.

Thank Ladies!!!!

September 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I weirded out by it at first too, didnt think I could do it. Its amazing how the mind changes

September 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The first time around I had to exclusively pump due to his tongue tie, but let me tell you, BFing is SO MUCH easier!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search