New here! Been bfing for 6 days

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
Hi girls~ my son was born 6 days ago. He is a great bfer so far, he has latched from day one. However, he likes to nurse for only 10 minutes at a time. He will only do one 15-20 min session maybe once a day. He's gained plenty of weight so far, the pedi actually said that I must have "super milk" but I'm worried that he doesn't eat for a long enough time. Also, he almost always falls asleep on the breast, after just a couple of minutes! I'm constantly having to remind him that he's eating. lol. I think this might be why he doesn't nurse all that long, he just gets to sleepy/lazy...but when he lets go, he's awake again

September 12th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Some babies are just that efficient. Lawson has always been done eating in 5-10 mins. When he does stay latched on after that he is just using me as a pacifier.

Welcome and congrats

(1)
September 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a very sleepy baby at first and had to wake him often. He took a long time (20-30 mins) to nurse. As long as your baby seems to be gaining fine with the shorter time, I would be happy!!!
September 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He's gaining weight well, so I wouldn't worry about how long he nurses for or waking him to eat. Weight gain and having enough wet/poopy dipaers each day is a good indicator that your baby is getting enough. It's great that he's such an efficient nurser so early on!

Most babies will also keep sucking, even after they fall asleep. I always let DD stay on until she unlatched herself, as long as she was still sucking (even slowly). Our milk has something in it that makes babies feel sleepy. It's not uncommon for all babies to start to doze off while nursing in the early days. Let's face it, all they do is eat, sleep and poop!

Expecting baby #4!

September 12th, 2008, 09:23 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Hi BRE!!!!
September 13th, 2008, 06:52 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Welcome to the board! And a big congrats.
Don't worry about the length of time he nurses. My son has always been a quick nurser from day one. He generally only nurses for about 5 minutes at a time. Sounds like if he is gaining weight, you are doing awesome! Hang in there, the first weeks can be tough. Please feel right at home here, there are some great members that can give you good advice when you need it!
September 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM
M&RsMom's Avatar Mama to silly boys
Send a message via AIM to M&RsMom
Quote:
Welcome to the board! And a big congrats.
Don't worry about the length of time he nurses. My son has always been a quick nurser from day one. He generally only nurses for about 5 minutes at a time. Sounds like if he is gaining weight, you are doing awesome! Hang in there, the first weeks can be tough. Please feel right at home here, there are some great members that can give you good advice when you need it![/b]

ITA! Neither of my sons nursed for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time.

September 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
Hi there, welcome and huge CONGRATS on your little one. I remember you from TTC or WTTC, i can't remember which. Sounds like you two are doing great though. Ditto to what everyone else already told you about poopy diapers and what not. And especially in the beginning he will probably fall asleep alot while nursing. I say enjoy it. LOL.

September 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Breanna!! Congrats--Reid is adorable!! I wouldn't worry as long as he is having enough dirty and wet diapers! He is probably just a good nurser..and get what he needs and is done

September 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everyone already answered your question, just wanted to say WELCOME!!!

September 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
That makes me feel much better, thanks girls!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search