Need some help please

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi girls!

Well I had my baby 4 days ago, she is having issues breastfeeding, she has a recessed lower jaw, her tounge also curls up when she opens her mouth and until yesterday she was sucking her lower lip in (because of the recessed jaw). All the nurses were trying to push me to formula feed while I was in the hospital. I asked them to bring me a pump instead which they did. So while I was in the hospital I was pumping for 15 mins each side and syringe feeding her the milk.

At the moment I can only get her to breastfeed if I use a nipple shield AND a SNS system. I am currently pumping about 1 1/2 oz of milk to use in the SNS, I need to go out tomorrow and I can't take the SNS with me, as if anyone who has used one would know they are such a pain to use.

The LC only told me to pump 1 1/2 oz and use it in the SNS and then attach it to my breast.... so I have no idea how much milk she needs without attaching the SNS to my breast (does that make sense?).

Her birth weight was 6lbs 13oz and as of yesterday it had dropped signifigantly to 6lbs 1oz.... so I really need her to get the right amount of milk.

The LC I saw yesterday was so wonderful, she said alot of people in my position would have given up on breastfeeding by now.

Does anyone know how much breastmilk I should pump to give my baby?? that is without using the SNS.. I tried to google it and cannot find anything that says how much breastmilk she needs.
September 13th, 2008, 10:54 AM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
Hi there and congrats on your little one and great job on sticking to it. I don't have much experience with the SNS or the tongue issue but here is the best info i can provide you about how much you dd should be getting...
Kellymom Milk Calculator

September 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most babies dont' drink more than 2ozs at that age, so I when I would pump, I would get whatever I could, then refrigerate in 2oz portions for her.

This is the first time I've heard of a recessed jaw, so I'm curious to get more information on it. Has your LC said what to expect in the future and how it will continue to effect breastfeeding?

September 13th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would get whatever I could, then refrigerate in 2oz portions for her.[/b]
ITA with that.

I found this for you:
1 to 2 weeks-90ml (3oz)
3 to 4 weeks-120ml (4oz)
2 months-150ml (5oz)
3 months-180ml (6 1/2 oz)
4 to 5 months-210ml (7 1/2 oz)
5 months + -240ml (8 1/2 oz)

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

September 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Most babies dont' drink more than 2ozs at that age, so I when I would pump, I would get whatever I could, then refrigerate in 2oz portions for her.

This is the first time I've heard of a recessed jaw, so I'm curious to get more information on it. Has your LC said what to expect in the future and how it will continue to effect breastfeeding?[/b]
she said most of the time by 1 month it should correct itself.... but I will still probably have to use a nipple shield..

Quote:
Quote:
I would get whatever I could, then refrigerate in 2oz portions for her.[/b]
ITA with that.

I found this for you:
1 to 2 weeks-90ml (3oz)
3 to 4 weeks-120ml (4oz)
2 months-150ml (5oz)
3 months-180ml (6 1/2 oz)
4 to 5 months-210ml (7 1/2 oz)
5 months + -240ml (8 1/2 oz)

[/b]