Frustrated

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Tinks_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so happy I am able to bf this time around however sometimes I feel like a paci instead of of food source. Don't get me wrong, I love nursing but at the same time I think this has to be the hardest thing I have ever done. I also have a almost 3yr old who just doesn't understand. I feel like I am constantly yelling at her because she is so loud. I know she doesn't mean to be and she's just being a kid, but it's like the minute I get the lo detachted from me and lay her down dd wakes her up and I am right back where I started. My nipples are so sore from nursing. She has a good latch except when I lay down on my side to feed her in the middle of the night, at which that point I am to tired to care as long as she can nurse. Uhhh hopefully it gets a little easier. I want so badly to be able to nurse her until she's one, but I guess at this point I am going to go day by day.
BrynLeigh 08/18/08
and bean due 12/18/2010
September 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. You are doing great. Breast feeding is the hardest thing I have ever done, I think maybe harder than actually having a baby. We struggled so much in the first 2 months or so, there were so many tears involved every day. I almost switched to exclusively pumping many times, but I hated that so much so I kept giving myself small goals. First I said 6 weeks, then 3 months, 6 months, and now a year. It's so hard in the beginning, but it gets so much easier and so much more rewarding. I promise that if you stick it out, you will love it! It won't always be this hard.
I'd say give it 6 weeks before deciding anything. You are already halfway there, you can do 3 more weeks. Reassess then and set another goal. Hang in there.
September 14th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Tinks_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am trying my hardest to hang in there. Like you said it is rewarding , and I think that is the reason I have continued. Some days are def. harder than others, but all in all I guess it is going pretty well. One question I have though is how I can get her to latch better. I thought her latch was pretty good but last night and this morning I noticed a few minutes into a feeding she loosens up and tries just sucking the tip. I make her let go and re-latch. Is there anything else I can do?
BrynLeigh 08/18/08
and bean due 12/18/2010
September 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The first 6 weeks are usually the hardest with a new baby, especially when breastfeeding, because it's a big adjustment period. I know juggling a newborn and a toddler must be difficult, and some days it seems like there must be some alternative to make things easier. Just remember that things will get better, all problems are just temporary.
Start by paying special attention to her latch. Make sure she is latched on well at every feeding, even during the night. I remember propping myself up in bed with my Boppy every night, because I need to be sure she was latched on and positioned correctly. When you notice that her latch is getting lazy, you're doing the right thing by unlatching her and making her latch on again. Contact your lactation consultant again to have her latch looked at again. It doesn't hurt to reevaluate things if they still aren't going well after a few weeks. Once you know she is latching good at every feeding, if your sore nipples don't improve, it may be something else.
Did you have an antibiotics during labor or since she was born? It's not the only thing that can cause thrush, but a common one. Sometimes, pain is the only symptom for thrush and that is why it gets overlooked as a cause for sore nipples.
Hopefully things will improve for you soon!

Expecting baby #4!

September 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope things start getting easier! I know for my 3 year old, if I was nursing and he wanted a certain toy taken out of the closet or something and I couldn't get it right away I would offer to let him watch a show. He easily agreed as we usually limit tv. It may not be the best answer, but it worked for us! He has learned to be more patient too.

September 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and congratulations! I ditto everything these girls said especially kristen. I did the same milestone goals. We are almost to our 3rd goal of 6 months. I found the first 2 months the hardest of all but i am so glad that i stuck through it because now its not even a thought, you just do it. I too would sit up at night with my pillow nursing Sebastian making sure his latch was proper and I couldn't lay down at all until about 4 months. It does get easier, hang in there, you're doing great! Does your 3 year old like to color or play playdoh? Those could be something that he/she could do to keep them busy and its not too messy and its quiet play. Goodluck, hang in there.

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search