New Mommy - New to Breastfeeding

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello Ladies!
I'm a new mommy, I just had my baby on September 11. I'm breastfeeding, and plan on BFing for a while, so I thought I'd introduce myself a tiny bit.

So far things are going... painfully. My baby, Robin, can latch nicely, but my nipples hurt so so much. All of the nurses at the hospital said my technique is good and she's latching properly... but I'm in soooo much pain. I've been using Lanisoh on my nipples, and I think that helps a good bit, but I'm still hurting. I'm using the football hold, as I just can't seem to get the other positions to work for me. Oh, and my milk hasn't come in yet, so it's all still collostrum. Any tips or tricks I can use? Is there anything I can do to make it better, or do I just stick it out until it gets better? Any help would be so so awesome at this point.

Pounds Lost Before Our Second Miracle: 57

September 13th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My LC sold me some Medela Hydrogel Pads that worked wonders! MUCH better than the Lansinoh for the early days. They carry them at Target now. I was told to wear them for 3-4 days and only remove them for nursing and showering. I noticed improvement within a day or two. I promise it does get easier
September 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you meet with a lacation consultant at the hospital. Unfortunately, not all nurses are as well educated with breastfeeding and wouldn't know a bad latch if it bit them in the butt It never hurts to meet with a lactation consultant to make sure you have latch and positioning down well.
It's not unccomon for nursing to still be painful at this point. Just remember, you went from nothing, to having a baby sucking on them 10-12 times a day. Some moms experience no soreness in the beginning, while many moms are at least a little sore those first few weeks. If it doesn't start to improve in the next week or two, it's possible there is another problem. That's why is best to be sure her latch is good from the beginning so you know you are getting the best start. Your own breastmilk (or colostrum) is also great for sore nipples. Express some after she is done nursing and let your nipples air dry. It's not something that will happen overnight, but you should notice improvement everyday over the next few weeks.
Most women's milk comes in around 2-4 days PP (mine was 3 days). Continuing to nurse is the best thing you can do to help your milk come in. Also, not all women notice a change when thier milk comes in, so you may never see any physical changes when it happens. When it does happen though, you may notice a letdown sensation or that your baby seems to be swallowing faster when nursing.

Expecting baby #4!

September 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
*~LuckyCharms~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My best advice is just not to get discouraged! I had a perfectly fine latch and my nipples KILLED me for two straight weeks. Keep using the Lansinoh every time, and I'll bet before you know it the pain will be gone. Hang in there, I know it's painful!!

Thanks to cavewoman for my adorable siggy!

September 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to say that I hope the pain goes away quickly!
September 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto for all that's been said already. Also try Soothies They are gel pads as well. You keep them in the fridge and them can wear them in your bra. They helped me a ton! It does get batter. Hang in there!!!!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
September 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Andrea said what I was going to It does hurt a bit at first, going from nothing to a baby on you all day It DOES get better. Go topless as much as you can too.

My milk didnt come in till 4 days PP. When it does you WILL know it LOL. I went to bed at 2am and 4am engorged, I'll never forget that It does hurt for a few weeks too, but that subsides. The first few weeks/month is hard. You should be feeling better by the three weeks growth spurt

September 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made my own goofy little boobie cones out of wet toilet paper & saran wrap. I put the toilet paper (wet) inside a fold of saran & then formed it to by nipples, then I took the "forms" and froze them. I would take them out & keep a few sets in so I could rotate them & ice them down a bit - for I thought it was helpful....but be careful not to burn them from the cold being on too long. I just liked to ice them for a few minutes immediately following nursing to "take the sting out". Good luck. It DOES get so much easier - this is the HARDEST time - I PROMISE. I had a LONG labor that resulted in a torn rectum & I would take L&D again in a HB over early BF struggles - I just felt so lost sometimes & unsure - but it was the BEST investment of my life! Come in here - post a LOT, ask questions, ask for support when you need it & pretty soon this will all seem easy-breezy!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 16th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all of the advice ladies! I'm trying my best to troop through this. Right now I'm doing some pumping to relieve the engorgement, and my nipples still kill when she latches, but it's getting like... .01% better... lol.

Pounds Lost Before Our Second Miracle: 57

September 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
congrats on your new daughter!
September 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
PuNkLiVz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i found that the first couple of weeks are the most painful, after that its a breeze (has been 4 me)
i've BF all 3 of my children. if you still have pain in a week, i'd talk to experts, and see whats wrong.

<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search