Time to wean....

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM
My DD will be one on Saturday! I can't believe it's been a year or that I've been able to breastfeed her for this long! It's like my body knows that she is now one because I have slowly started to "dry up". I've been back at work for 7 weeks and pumping once a day while there. She has been taking 2 bottles/day at the sitter. One has been all breastmilk and the other has been formula. I haven't been able to pump enough to give her two full breastmilk bottles a day. On the weekends, at night and in the morning, she's been breastfeeding exclusively. However, I'm still noticing a DRASTIC decrease in my supply. I had planned on weaning her at a year anyway, so it's okay (although I will admit that I am really sad that she is a year old). However, my big dilemma is that she doesn't like cows milk. She won't drink it. So, what do I do?!?! She is also still pretty much on baby food only. She doesn't have many teeth and every time I try to feed her small bits of table foods, she chokes. So, I know she's not ready. I just don't think feeding her baby food and water every day is going to be nearly enough to satisfy her. But what do I do if she won't take milk? I'm scared she is going to be waking up during the night because she is hungry. Any time she does wake up at night all she wants to do is nurse even though she really isn't getting much!
September 14th, 2008, 06:46 AM
KimberlyD0
Does she get any finger foods at all? They don't need teeth for most. DD#1 didn't have teeth untill 11.5 months at all and was on full table foods by 1. Started finger foods at 7 months.

As for cows milk, have you tried mixing it with BM? slowly increasing the amount of cows milk can help. Same as with formula really. We did it an OZ at a time untill it was all cows milk. Also do you give it warm or cold? many wont like it cold since they're used to warm milk so warming it can help. You can then slowly over time give it to her cooler and cooler till she takes it cold.

If your at all worried they can stay on a toodler formula (if you have no BM) untill 2 and you can wean with it as well.

hth
September 14th, 2008, 06:54 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I don't have any personal experience with this, but what if you started mixing your BM with cows milk? Start with mostly BM and each day, gradually add more cows milk and less BM. Maybe, slowly she will get used to the flavor and the fact that it isn't as sweet.
Oh, and congrats on reaching a year. That's fantastic!

eta: previous poster beat me to it, sorry to repeat!
September 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's not a big deal that she doesn't take cow's milk. Cow's milk doesn't have to be the substitute for breastmilk or formula after a year, although many times that is implied. You can use soy, goat or rice milk instead, if you want to try them. Chances are, she will acquire a taste for cow's milk in her own time though. Like with all new foods, sometimes a child needs to have something many times before they acquire a taste for it.
My honest suggestion: if you aren't pumping enough, give her as much breastmilk as you can and supplement with formula instead until she is weaned onto all solids. I wouldn't suggest weaning her completely from breastmilk and formula until she is taking in more solids and drinking from a cup well. Every child has thier own schedule for weaning and transitioning to solids, so there's no magical age that you have to do it by. As long as she is happy and thriving, then I'd say not to push it. Chances are, in the next 6 months she'll be taking table foods like a pro and drinking
Your supply is responding to the pumping, not her age. A pump isn't as efficient as your baby, so many moms notice a drop in thier supplies when they start pumping. Have you tried anything to increase your supply? You could add an extra pumping session or use fengreek to help increase it. Here's a link with some suggestions:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Here's some other good links for you to read through:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/t...ds.html#cowmilk
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...pplements.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_faqs.html

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
September 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Mikasa's Avatar Mom of 2 girls and 1 boy!
Have you tried warming up the cow's milk a little bit? I had to do that for DD when she was off of formula. She actually didn't switch to cow's milk til about 13.5 months because she was just not eating enough. I did the next step formula for a couple of months after she turned one, she only had 2 teeth and was not able to eat very many table food. But I would maybe try to heat up the milk, since BM is pretty warm, some babies don't like cold or even luke warm milk.

September 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Ds doesn't like cow's milk at all & he's 18 months- but we are still nursing. My supply has decreased a bit I am sure - but he still nurses & seems happy with it - so all in all I don't sweat it one bit. I tried mixing it with BM & all that did for us was end up with a LOT of wasted BM that he wouldn't touch - not even if I did 1 oz cow's milk & 7 oz BM. I know for others it has worked - but it never has for us. You made mention that you were sad she was a year & if you aren't totally sure about weaning he r- come take a peek over at the nursing past a year board. There is no magic transition that occurs on the 1st bday that says it is time to wean & you can continue to nurse as much or as little as works for you. Of course you can also wean if that is what you want to do at this point - I just want you (and all women to realize) that it isn't something that needs to be done at one - it is just that BF is most encouraged up to age one. Best wishes whatever you decide & congrats on making it to a year - that is no easy thing!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search