Breastfeeding a very active 9.5 mo old!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Mommy2Noah&Jack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont post much (anywhere really anymore) but am curious as to whether this is normal. I am so afraid that he is self weaning

Jack is 9.5 mo old, never had a bottle. He has been EBF, til 6 mo-ish when we started solids.

He can EAT!! He LOVES his solids. Maybe he is a normal eater, my 2 year old has feeding issues and doesnt eat and his brother definately out-eats him anyday! He eats a Container of the DHA/ARA Oatmeal and fruit cereal in the morning (Gerber?), a few cheerios, and sometimes a little fruit, has a veggie at lunch and a few puffs and maybe a little of what his brother is getting, and at dinner gets a little of what we or his brother are having and a veggie, meat and some fruit (not always meat and fruit). He also gets snacks here or there like puffs, those baby cookies, fresh fruit, ect... when his brother is offered a snack. He gets mad if he isnt offered a snack too. He gets mad if we dont allow him to try what we have. For instance, tonight he threw his table food I gave him at me (pasta) and spit his carrots out then refused to eat til I gave him a cut up meatball! After I gave him it, he went back to eating his food. Anyhow, he is not a picky eater and eats just about anything. Its a huge relief after my first!

Naturally, his bf sessions have become less frequent. His ped told me this would happen as we increased solids. Which, we were instructed to do at his 9 mo check since his weight gain had slowed. Since doing so he has gained almost half a pound, and is 20.2 lbs now. He said no need to supplement with formula. He is also VERY active. He crawls all over, pulls up, cruises along the furniture and is into everything. He doesnt like to sit still! I'm finding that nursing duing the day is difficult because he will only latch on for a minute at most when I try to during the day and then he just wants down to go play. Its frustrating! If he is tired and the room is quiet he will nurse to go to sleep. He is also up alot at night to nurse. We pretty much have good nursing sessions at around 6:30 am, 10:30 am, 2 pm (unless its a day like today and his brother doesnt nap (distraction) and he just wants to play, somewhere between 7 and 8 pm, 12 am- 6 am 2 or 3 times. All in all id say we have maybe 4 good nursing sessions (if we're lucky) and a couple short less than a minute ones. I just worry that this is not enough. Do you think he is selfweaning? Come night time or when he is tired and wants to sleep is all about nursing and nothing else will do.

How many times does a 9 mo old normally nurse? I have gotton this far, I cant see not pushing and getting to a year. My thoughts have always been, one day at a time... but with 2.5 mo til the year marker (and a mommy whose a bit attached to it), I cant see not making it. My DH says that instead of being upset that I (possibly) wont make it to a year, I should be happy I made it to 9.5 mo... especially after my first never would nurse. I take a few Fenugreek daily (just read about Blessed Thistle so I will get that tomorrow to take too... how much?) and eat Oatmeal occasionally. I cant see doing the nursing sabbatical because he is just too active and not at an age where I can actually make him nurse). I have tried pumping and get nothing but a few drops here and there and can manually express, but it takes forever and i'd hav to do that in front of my 2 yr old

Is this all normal as a breastfed baby gets older? Is it highly unlikely I make it to a year at this point?

Sorry this is so long. I just wanted to be sure I had the full picture there That and I am extremely tired. TYIA for any information/ help/ support!!

Amanda

September 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately this happens to many babies. I still can't believe that my daughter self-weaned at 9 months. She was also getting too distracted and busy playing and would only nurse for a little bit at a time and I had to chase her to get her to nurse, but then one day she started rejecting the breast completely, including at night. I am continuing to pump and I try to offer her the breast once in a while, but she looks at it like she has no idea what that is and won't even try. She forgot that quickly!
There have been several cases of nursing strikes/self-weaning in our PR. I noticed that at this age some babies that are still not on too many solids are continuing to nurse full force. I guess some babies are more attached to nursing that others.

It looks like your son is really doing well nursing at night and in the morning, so he is probably going to continue. Just take every opportunity to encourage him to nurse!

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
September 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My advice is to keep nursing him on demand. I wouldn't worry too much about him weaning by a year, or how frequently he is nursing. Many babies are down to 2-3 times a day at a year, but hold onto that for a long time to come. Most babies dramatically decrease how much they nurse from 6-12 months because they are more alert and active and they are taking interest in solid foods. A lot of children hold onto to a few nursing sessions though for comfort, and those are the last ones to go when they do wean. Just follow his lead and his cues, and I can almost guarantee you that he won't self-wean in the next 2 1/2 months.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search