Dont know what to do?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
I am doing EVERYTHING possiable to make more milk and I dont think It's working! Im eating Oatmeal every morning, I take 8 FenuGreek a day and I eat these Oat bars as a snack....I dont know what else to do? I haven't tryed Raglan? (sp) Also everytime she eats off my right Boob she'll have like 4 sucks and pull off. She does this ALL the time!!! Why? And why Is It only my rt boob? Im still useing the shield cause I can't get her to latch on correctly. She always wants to eat ff my rt boob without the shield too, but It hurts too much! Any Suggestions on why she does this?
September 16th, 2008, 09:45 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why do you think your supply is low in the first place? If she is having plenty of diapers then I wouldn't worry about it one bit. It is impossible to tell exactly how much is coming out per feeding unless you weigh baby before & after a feeding on a sensitive scale..... If she acts fussy like you think she isn't getting enough it is likely just a growth spurt - particularly because you should have the 3 months growth spurt right about now. Unless you have a quantifiable reason to believe your supply is too low, I wouldn't worry about it. Many women, myself included have worried about low supply sometimes for pretty much no reason other than all the stories we hear of low supply.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 16th, 2008, 11:13 PM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Stopping in from April 08's pr Do you have a lactation consultant that can show you a correct latch? If not then you can contact one through your local hospital, la leche league, or WIC if you have it.

I stopped using the shield when Catherine was two months old mainly because it can damage your nipples and because by then she was getting old enough to figure it out on her own. (She was almost a month early and very tiny.) I would try to feed Catherine without the nipple shield when she was really hungry and awake. Then eventually I was able to feed her without it more and more until she quit wanting it.

Catherine also prefers one boob to the other. She likes the right side more. Why that is I have no clue but regardless she still eats both sides. The older she gets the less she cares. Also it should never hurt. If the sucking hurts you need to unlatch her and try again. I wish I could physically be there to help because that sounds like it would really help you right now. I feel your pain I really do because I was in your position at one time. I am positive you just need ween from the nipple shield. Sometimes Fenugreek can cause tummy problems and it may make your milk not as tasty. She may not like all of that. Also are you drinking enough water?

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

September 17th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The 3-month growth spurt is a B*TCH!! If she wants to eat all the time, that's probably what it is. And SHE is more efficient at making you produce more (enough) milk than any other remedy. All of the suggested remedies (fenugreek, oatmeal, drinking tons of water, getting more sleep, etc.) never worked for me (and when I stopped taking fenugreek - and I stopped "cold turkey" - it didn't decrease my supply either).

As for the latch-on issues, I'm not much help, because I have no experience with the shields. She may be preferring the left boob because the milk flows faster (??), and that's why she's pulling off on the right. Or maybe she doesn't like laying on that side. I don't know. Maybe a lac consultant can help.

September 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
I make just enough for her to nurse but even when she's not going threw a growth spurt she seems to want to eat all the time and not get enough....Ill feed her for an hour and yes she'll be sucking the whole time. And she'll fall asleep and when she wakes up a few mins later she'l want to eat again. I dont make enough to pump thats my other problem. If I do pump In the morning It take me an hour to pump 5 oz's.....It's frustrateing Im trying to up my supply so that I can have some to give her in a bottle when we go out and I can't nurse her In Public or Im going to leave her with DH...I drink min 3 bottles of water a day. So I know that my water intakes good. The 3 month groeth spurt wasn't that bad. Which is funny cause I heard thats the worst. Ive tried to find LC In my area but there are none. Another girl gave me the number for oone about 45 mins from me so I might go see her. Thanks for the advice girls!
September 17th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am a fellow pumper and I just wanted to add that pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk you make as your baby is much more efficient at extracting the milk. I have been nursing 8 months. I can barely pump 10 oz total pumping 4 times, but when I am with my baby she never acts hungry. BM is easily digested. BF'd babies eat more regularly than formula fed babies. Adalynn was nursing every 1.5 to 2 hours at that age. She didn't start going to every 3 hours until 6 months.

Babies also nurse for more reasons than nutrition. Your baby could also be nursing for comfort. What's better than being snuggled in with Mommy?

If your baby is falling asleep shortly after starting to nurse stop and switch sides. She may just be falling asleep before she is full.

September 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My first thought is that your shield is the problem. A baby can have a much harder time getting milk out of the breast with a nipple shield on then without. Chances are, she is nursing so long and so often, because it takes her a while to get the amount of milk out that she needs. I would suggest weaning from the shield ASAP. She is showing interest in it, which is a good thing too. Get in with a lactation consultant as soon as you can, because it sounds like the pain is from one of two problems: her latch is bad when she latches without the shield or you have another problem like thrush. At 3 months old, you shouldn't have pain when she latches on. Even if you have been using the shield this whole time, your nipples should not be that sore. Without watching her nurse and seeing if she is latching correctly without the shield, there's no way to tell if that is the problem or if you have thrush that is causing the pain. I think weaning from the shield would increase your supply and decrease the amount she is nursing, which would probably make you a happier mommy!
Some women just can't pump. It stinks, but it's true. Some of our bodies just have a really hard time responding to the pump, because there isn't a pump out there than can completely imitate your baby's sucking.

Expecting baby #4!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search