looking for some encouragement!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Hi all,

Just hoping for some positive encouragement. I have been exclusively breastfeeding Walter since he was born. He has a serious preference for the boob. He gave up a pacifier at 3 months and refuses all bottles. That part is great, I love BFing and I'm more than happy to provide him with this until he is ready to wean. My issue is nightime!

I nurse him to sleep. He will not go to sleep without it, unless he is in my front pack walking around, or in his dads arms being bounced and shushed. But the minute he is put down on the bed or his crib, he wakes up screaming, and I have to nurse him back to sleep.

We co-sleep, but before I come up to bed, Walter wakes up every 30 minutes screaming to nurse. He falls asleep nursing and clamps down- rarely lets go. Even if I wait 20 minutes to take my boob away, he sometimes wakes up. Once I get to bed with him, he still wakes a lot, but I just pop him on and fall asleep.

He has always been like this... very high needs! I am totally against just having him cry without it. We have tried everything to break this, but he is very opinionated and wants the boob. I don't really feel there's anyway of breaking this gently, so I have accepted that I need to wait it out until he matures emotionally and doesn't feel the need to have it during each brief awakening at night.

My question is, for you experienced mommies, at what age do they start to chill out with the nighttime separation anxiety? 1 year, 1.5? If I know things will get better, this will be easier to deal with. But part of me fears that he will never let it go, and the longer I wait the more traumatic it will be to try and change things.

I am okay with co-sleeping for awhile, it's the waking up every 30 minutes before I'm in bed that gets me, because I spend 15 minutes getting him back to sleep. I don't have time to do anything. I can't just go to bed with him at 8:30, so I am considering pushing his bedtime up to 10 so we can just go to bed together. Thoughts?
September 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think every baby is different, so it's hard to say at what age he will outgrow it. One thing I have learned though, in just the 2 short years of being a mom: things will always work themselves out. I remember having issues I thought would never go away, with sleeping or eating and now she's completely outgrown them.

Have you tried Elizabeth Pantley's book, "The No Cry Sleep Solution"? It has some great suggestions for gently weaning from nighttime nursing or helping a higher needs baby cut down on how much they need the breast at night. It was even helpful in just explaining why babies get into these patterns so we can more easily work with them. I have a copy of both the baby and toddler book in the series and have gotten great information from both.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

September 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I do have the book. I am halfway through it and so far have tried stuff in it with no help. The gentle removal technique does not work, it gets him all worked up and then he clamps down with jaws of death. I really need to finish reading it!
September 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Some may disagree with me but we have a similar problem which I resolved by just pushing back Lawson's bedtime to 10 so we go to bed at the same time. He doesnt have to have the boob all night but when nursing to sleep he keeps it for about 15-20 mins before he lets go. Problem is when he lets go he is fine until I get up. Once I am not right beside him anymore then we have to start all over.

It will get easier though! Eventually they all get SUPER independent and then we will wish we had these days back! (at least that is what I tell myself to get me through)

(1)
September 17th, 2008, 05:57 PM
How did you move his bedtime up? That's exactly what I plan on doing, moving it from 8:30-10. Does he seem ok with the new bedtime?
September 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
(((hugs)))
September 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
Jackson has alway had a 10:00 bed time. He would not sleep any earlier and its just so much easier to do like you said, pop him on and both of us go to sleep for the night. Jackson doesn't get up as often as your LO but he is up probably 3 or 4 times a night and maybe one of those times he actually nurses to eat, the other times is just comfort nursing which is fine right now while we are still co-sleeping but DH is pushing me to move him to his crib and i just don't know how i'm gonna do it with him getting up so much. I think maybe try moving the bedtime and see if that works for you. Sorry i'm not really any help, i hope you find a solution. And great job sticking it out mama!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search