Is this Bad?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
This has happened on both boobs and It still hapens and It hurts Like crazy. She's suck so much that my nipples lok like thay have hese lil taste buds on them....Does that make sense? It's almost like lil glass beads on them. They go away once there dry but it hurts so bad. Is there a reason for this? Is that what happen's when she doesn't latch right? This does only happen when I dont use the sheild, which forces me to go back to it cause they hurt so much....
September 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They are probably Montgomery's tubercles. Some women have a lot of them and some just a few. Here is a bit of info on them:

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/pf...0,,469b,00.html

I personally have one nipple that is covered in them and my other nipple only has a couple. The one covered in them was extra painful at first because they tended to get in the way of her latching on properly. Once she got used to them it wasn't a problem anymore.

September 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I've mentioned this before, but have you considered thrush as the reason behind your sore nipples? Considering her age and the fact that they still hurt, I suspect there is some other problem. Either she isn't latching right without the nipple shield or you could have thrush.
Are these on your nipples or areola? If they are on the tip of your nipple, they could be milk blisters. I got 2 of them at once and that was my first sign that I might have thrush. They will also not only cause you a lot of pain, but add to it, if you do have thrush.

I can't say this enough, but please go see a lactation consultant! From your posts, it sounds like there is an underlying problem here that's going to be hard to self-diagnose. Chances are, one visit with a LC, and things can get back on track. She can check your DD's latch without the shield and either confirm or rule it out as a problem. If it isn't, then you can consider other reasons for your nipples still being sore, so you can wean from the shield for good. I always had a hard time asking for help, and it took a lot of pushing from other people for me to go see a LC again. I kept thinking I could just fix it myself or it would work itself out. I'm so glad that I finally gave in and went though, because I couldn't have continued nursing without thier help.

September 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks girls....Jess, I know what those are ( well, I didn't know the name though ) Around my Areola's I do have those. That doesn't bother her or I....The ones Im talking about are actully In my nipple...Im still trying to figure them out

I dont think It's thrush, just from what Ive read I dont see anything on my nipple or her mouth that;s the white there talking about....And yes your right, Im BAD...I have not gone to a LC, I just complain and dont do anything about it....I think Im just trying to avoid it thinking it's gonna get better and the closest ones are 45 mind from me and driveing with a baby who hates the car is not fun BUT I will make myself call on monday, I Promise...
September 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You can actually have thrush with no signs other than pain. I have had it 3 times and only once did DS have white patches in his mouth. The other two times he had no signs or symptoms. The pain was awful, so bad that when my nipples blanched out when I wasnt breastfeeding I had pain then too. Once I got rid of the thrush I
had no more pain during latch on or nursing and no more pain when my nipples blanched out.

I honestly think you have thrush.

For prevention measures I know wear a new nightgown to bed every night. I have 5 that I rotate through so that I dont have to wash them everyday. I make sure to keep my nipples dry and dry them off well before covering them up after nursing or pumping. I use microwave steam sterilization for all my breast pump parts after each use and the nipples of Lawson's bottles. I never use my towel to dry my nipples after a shower I always let them air dry.

It is a lot of work but it is soooooooooo much better than getting that mess again. I promise you once you clear this up breastfeeding will be so much more satisfying.

Whenever I get it I use the gentian violet but I also call my doctor and get an rx for diflucan and I have to take 1 every 3 days for 4 doses. I almost gave up when I couldnt get rid of the thrush quickly the first time but I am so glad that I didnt.

Also the "glass beads" that you are referring to sound like thrush as well. One symptom is pearlescent beads on your nipples.

Lawson HATES riding in the car as well but I promise the drive will be worth it when all of your problems go away and breastfeeding is smooth sailing. Please call and get help. And maybe if you are lucky enough you will get an LC that makes house calls *keeping fingers crossed for you cause I know how hard it is to ride in a car with a SCREAMING infant*

(1)
September 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Quote:
You can actually have thrush with no signs other than pain. I have had it 3 times and only once did DS have white patches in his mouth. The other two times he had no signs or symptoms. The pain was awful, so bad that when my nipples blanched out when I wasnt breastfeeding I had pain then too. Once I got rid of the thrush I
had no more pain during latch on or nursing and no more pain when my nipples blanched out.

For prevention measures I know wear a new nightgown to bed every night. I have 5 that I rotate through so that I dont have to wash them everyday. I make sure to keep my nipples dry and dry them off well before covering them up after nursing or pumping. I use microwave steam sterilization for all my breast pump parts after each use and the nipples of Lawson's bottles. I never use my towel to dry my nipples after a shower I always let them air dry.

It is a lot of work but it is soooooooooo much better than getting that mess again. I promise you once you clear this up breastfeeding will be so much more satisfying.

Whenever I get it I use the gentian violet but I also call my doctor and get an rx for diflucan and I have to take 1 every 3 days for 4 doses. I almost gave up when I couldnt get rid of the thrush quickly the first time but I am so glad that I didnt.

Also the "glass beads" that you are referring to sound like thrush as well. One symptom is pearlescent beads on your nipples.

Lawson HATES riding in the car as well but I promise the drive will be worth it when all of your problems go away and breastfeeding is smooth sailing. Please call and get help. And maybe if you are lucky enough you will get an LC that makes house calls *keeping fingers crossed for you cause I know how hard it is to ride in a car with a SCREAMING infant*[/b]

Is it bad for them if you have thrush? The pearlescent beads is exactuly what it looks like so i guess thats what i have It only last for 3 or so days. I still breastfeed her threw it so i hope thats ok....how do you get rid of it?
September 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, unfortunately, sometimes its just he pain DD never had white spots in her mouth and I didn't have any signs on my nipples, but oh, the pain! My doctor and others kept telling me that you had to see the white spots to have thrush. That's why we went so long untreated, and now I wish I would have just listened to my gut, because I suspected all along, that's what it was. My nipples also blanched when we had thrush, ouch!

Thrush usually doesn't hurt the baby, and if you haven't noticed any signs in her, then she probably has no idea. The white patches can be a sign or a diaper rash. You will want to treat both of you though, because she can easily have it without any signs, just like you.

You can treat for thrush even if you are unsure. I would also reccomend gentian violet over any prescription your doctor will give you. It's more effective and works much quicker. You should be able to find some at a local pharmecy, just call around first to find out who carries it. It's cheap too, I think I paid $2 for mine. Here's a link with some other suggestions on treating thrush:
http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/thrush.html

Another on gentian violet: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html

Let us know if you have any other questions! I know a lot of us on here have dealt with thrush, so hopefully we can all help you through it and you can finally be on your way to pain-free nursing!

September 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

Lawson HATES riding in the car as well but I promise the drive will be worth it when all of your problems go away and breastfeeding is smooth sailing. Please call and get help. And maybe if you are lucky enough you will get an LC that makes house calls *keeping fingers crossed for you cause I know how hard it is to ride in a car with a SCREAMING infant*[/b]

Is it bad for them if you have thrush? The pearlescent beads is exactuly what it looks like so i guess thats what i have It only last for 3 or so days. I still breastfeed her threw it so i hope thats ok....how do you get rid of it?
[/b]

It wont hurt her at all and as Andrea said she could possibly have it too without any signs or symptoms. I would go ahead and treat both of you just to be on the safe side. It's not harmful just a big fat PITA and very painful.

You should continue to breastfeed through it and it wont go away on it's own. I was kinda lax about it the first time I had it so I had it for about 3 weeks before I licked it. The pain only got worse. I spoke to a LC on the phone and she said it sounded like he had a bad latch because my nipple is shaped like a tube of lipstick when he unlatches. The LC at the hospital had already told me that he had a beautiful latch. Anyway, I listened to the one on the phone and got a nipple shield which didnt do a dern thing for the pain since we didnt have a latch problem at all. Once the pain got so bad that I was in tears every time he latched on I admitted to myself that I had thrush and then I wasnt so diligent about sterilizing everything like I should have been so it wasnt going away. Once I got serious about getting rid of it and sterilized everything it was gone in like 3 days.

BTW Cambria is so beautiful and I LOVE her name!

(1)
September 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

It wont hurt her at all and as Andrea said she could possibly have it too without any signs or symptoms. I would go ahead and treat both of you just to be on the safe side. It's not harmful just a big fat PITA and very painful.

You should continue to breastfeed through it and it wont go away on it's own. I was kinda lax about it the first time I had it so I had it for about 3 weeks before I licked it. The pain only got worse. I spoke to a LC on the phone and she said it sounded like he had a bad latch because my nipple is shaped like a tube of lipstick when he unlatches. The LC at the hospital had already told me that he had a beautiful latch. Anyway, I listened to the one on the phone and got a nipple shield which didnt do a dern thing for the pain since we didnt have a latch problem at all. Once the pain got so bad that I was in tears every time he latched on I admitted to myself that I had thrush and then I wasnt so diligent about sterilizing everything like I should have been so it wasnt going away. Once I got serious about getting rid of it and sterilized everything it was gone in like 3 days.

BTW Cambria is so beautiful and I LOVE her name!
[/b]
Thanks!
I used to be sso good at letting my nipple's dry off before "Putting them away" But lately I just put em back in the bra...So maybe thats were Im getting the " Infection " from....
September 23rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Could be... Especially if you wear breast pads. The moisture just stays there. Yeast loves dark, wet, and damp.

Did you call the LC? Is the pain any better?

(1)
September 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Could be... Especially if you wear breast pads. The moisture just stays there. Yeast loves dark, wet, and damp.

Did you call the LC? Is the pain any better?[/b]

I did call the LC. I left a message cause there was no answer. The last couple days the pain is gone and she's been nurseing without the sheild. It doesn't hurt like It used to but my nipple's are shaped like a tube of lipstick. I know her latch is bad then. I dont know how else to get her to latch. When she open's her mouth It couldn't get any wider
September 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine are shaped like that too so it doesnt necessarily mean that she has a bad latch. It could indicate that but it could also indicate that she just has a high palate. If the pain is gone then it probably isnt thrush and could have been kinda of like in the beginning where your nipples needed to get used to having something attached to them since you stopped using the shield. I would still see the LC to be on the safe side.

(1)
September 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Mine are shaped like that too so it doesnt necessarily mean that she has a bad latch. It could indicate that but it could also indicate that she just has a high palate. If the pain is gone then it probably isnt thrush and could have been kinda of like in the beginning where your nipples needed to get used to having something attached to them since you stopped using the shield. I would still see the LC to be on the safe side.[/b]
Mine are normally shaped like that too. As long as you're not having pain, don't sweat it. Metchy's probably right, your nips were probably just going thru the "toughening up" stage since you were weaning off of the shield.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search