Need to pump a little bit, but I'm scared

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
My mom is going to start watching my son on Fridays, so I need to be able to pump enough for him to feed through the 9 hours that I won't be able to nurse him. Mine and DH's 3 year anniversary is on Wednesday so my mom is going to watch him for 2-3 hours. I have one good sized bottle frozen and ready to go (about 3.5 ounces). I tried pumping last night while Reid was feeding on the other breast. I was only able to pump about 1.5 ounces before that breast ran out. So, that breast was out of milk, and I think the one he was feeding on was too because he got hungry again after only an hour, and wanted to eat again the next hour. I ended up giving him the 1.5 ounces that i had just pumped in a bottle because I felt like there was NOTHING in my breasts My supply seemed to regenerate well during the night, but now I'm freaked out to pump again, I'm just worried that if I pump, he won't get enough at his next feeding.

I've gotten some good advice on this topic already, but I'm still really stressed about it. I want to have at least 6oz for Wednesday night, and I'm REALLY worried about having enough for Friday.

September 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all - RELAX. It really is fine. Your breasts don't really go to "empty" like it seems like they would. If you are able to pump 1.5 oz - that really is great! Especially for one breast. It is also VERY normal for babies to want to eat again after an hour - whether you have pumped or not. The longer your LO nurses from a single side - the fattier the milk becomes. Single-sided feeding is actually a "trick of the trade" to try & help LO's lengthen out their times between feedings. Go ahead & pump from the one side while he is nursing & nurse from the other, if he is hungry again in an hour - just nurse him. You don't have to give him what you have pumped. Babies are MUCH more efficient at getting milk from the breast than any pump on the market - so don't worry that yo won't have enough. Plus - an hour really is plenty of time for your body to have regenerated MORE than enough for his feeding. Soon you will be coming up on a big growth spurt as well - and he may act unsatisfied or fussy about the breast - just nurse through it - soon your body will catch up to his new needs & you will be back to a more settled "schedule". But again - relax really. It is so easy to feel really nervous about all of it early on - but it will be fine. Plus if you keep pumping from teh one side while feeding, your body will get more used to it & adjust to making more milk all the time, so that way it will be easier to pump & easier to stay ahead of his needs with pumping.

Best wishes!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
Great advice above. Don't have much to add except that your breasts will usually be fuller in the mornings so i would try pumping then and also try pumping the same breast that your DS just nursed on, it will increase your supply a little which should help if you are planning on getting a stash going or are going to be away from LO regularly. A stash is usually a good idea anyways because you don't have to worry if you are leaving enough milk when you are away, you can just leave more than enough and put your mind at ease. You are doing a GREAT job! Don't stress! Aaaaand Happy Anniversary!

September 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Is it absolutely necessary that you be apart from him for 9 hours every Friday? It seems very soon for you to be away that much, since your supply is just now starting to figure itself out. It may be hard to pump enough beforehand, but once you start spending time away from him, make sure you are pumping every 2 hours on Fridays, for about 20 minutes at a time.

Your baby is really really young, it's normal for him to want to nurse all day. Babies don't only want to nurse for food, but also for comfort and because their sucking drive is so strong. If he wants to nurse every hour or more, it doesn't necessarily mean you don't have enough milk.

When you feed your son the milk you pumped from a bottle, make sure you immediately go pump again after he eats. That's the key. Each time he eats a bottle, GO PUMP! If you don't, you aren't signaling your body to make more milk and your supply really will start to diminish.

By the way, 1.5 ounces out of one breast at 2 weeks sounds like a great amount!
September 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
I probably won't be away from him for 9 hours on Fridays. My mom is just going to watch him so that I can get a few hours to myself, but in reality, I will probably nurse him 50% of the time on Fridays. I also want to get working on pumping because I will need to pump full time when I go back to work when he is 6 weeks.

Last night I pumped and got about 3oz from one breast. Again, he wanted to eat every hour, but I do think it was more for comfort. He seemed satisfied after each feeding and still slept well through the night (so he obviously wasn't hungry when he went to sleep)

I just pumped again a few mins ago and got about 4oz from one breast! I could have kept going too, but obviously don't need more than that in one bottle.
September 23rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
hey honey

everyone has given great advice above. I have never had much success at pumping, only if I eat oatmeal will I be able to pump much. Cadie has never gone hungry though. Right now your body is adjusting and you won't feel as engorged as you did at first. This is normal. And yes, we all feel "fuller" earlier in the day. Mommies often think they don't have enough milk because their babies want to eat so much at night, but that is also a normal thing. It's called cluster feeding and they are storing up for their overnight sleep.

Try not to pay too much attention to the oz's you are pumping. Bottles and FF have made us obsess about the numbers. Reid is much better at getting milk than any pump will ever be. That's just the way it works.

And I agree with Kristen, try to nurse as much as you can while your mom is watching him. When my MIL is around watching Cadie I still nurse her, but then go off to do yoga or clean or cook or whatever in between feedings. Starting about a month ago she will feed her one bottle while she's here, but otherwise I still nurse her all the time.

Right now he is eating often and a lot, but as he gets a bit older he will get faster at eating and timing will space out. It will work itself out.

HUGS

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search