New here and in desperate need of advice

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone! I'm Christine and just gave birth to my second DS two weeks ago today.

My first DS was born 5 weeks early and was in the NICU for 6 days. I pumped exclusively for a few weeks and then tried to get him to nurse. That's when he developed reflux and was unable to nurse because I had to put rice cereal in his BM to keep it down. I pumped for 4.5 months, until my supply pretty much dried up on it's own.

This time, DS was full term and was put to the breast immediately after birth. He nursed really well and hasn't wanted to stop since. Here's my problem. There are certain times of the day that he literally wants to nurse constantly for 2-3 hours. He'll take little 15 minute breaks, but he wants to be back nursing. Normally, I wouldn't care, and just nurse whenever he wants, but sometimes he spits up quite a bit after these marathon nursing sessions. I thought he just wanted to suck on something, so I gave him a paci a few times, and it kinda interfered with his latch, so we stopped that.

He nurses every two hours the rest of the day, sometimes stretching it to three hours at night. I KNOW I am producing enough milk because my breast is always still leaking after he's done nursing. How do I get him satisfied without letting him overeat and not feeding him every twenty minutes for three hours?

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

September 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
He likely isn't overeating, but just swallowing too much air while he is nursing. Sometimes a baby just gets too eager and they nurse too quickly. It could also be from an overactive letdown, which will cause them to nurse quicker and swallow a lot of air. As long as he seems happy (a "happy spitter") then there's no reason to worry about it or change anything.

September 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think breastfed babies can overeat. They know how much they need. As for the spitting up I agree with Andrea. The cause is most likely unrelated to how much he is consuming. As long as he seems content, relax and follow his lead.

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
September 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Here's my problem. There are certain times of the day that he literally wants to nurse constantly for 2-3 hours. He'll take little 15 minute breaks, but he wants to be back nursing... How do I get him satisfied without letting him overeat and not feeding him every twenty minutes for three hours?[/b]
What your DS is doing is called clusterfeeding. It is completely normal and there is really not anything you can do about it. My son used to do it in the evenings. Some say it is a way to kind of tank up for the night. My son is 4 months and he still nurses every 2-3 hours unless he is sleeping. Sometimes when we are out he gets a little preoccupied and sometimes goes for a little longer stretch. In the evenings he still seems to eat more frequently and his last feed before bed usually lasts between 30-45 minutes. Also, I think most mommies find that their LO's nurse more frequently in the evenings because most often that is when your supply is the lowest. My advice to you is if you can tell around the time that your son usually clusterfeeds, try and get everything that you have to do done before then so you can just kick your feet up and relax. Maybe watch some TV, read or get some computer time, that's what I do.

September 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Gread advice ladies!! I was just going to agree with everything said. They have slings that can help when you have these times. That way you can go to the bathroom at least.

Good luck and keep us updated.
September 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Quote:
He likely isn't overeating, but just swallowing too much air while he is nursing. Sometimes a baby just gets too eager and they nurse too quickly. It could also be from an overactive letdown, which will cause them to nurse quicker and swallow a lot of air. As long as he seems happy (a "happy spitter") then there's no reason to worry about it or change anything.[/b]
This is probably true. He tends to gulp when he eats, so I know he's taking in a lot of air. I try to burp him at least a few times each feeding and he usually has some impressive burps.

I took him to the pediatrican today for his two week check up and he's gained 17oz since birth. His dr was very impressed - so I know he's getting enough food. The kid just LOVES to eat. He thinks if he's awake, he should be eating. It's just a little hard with a two and a half year old and a DH who works nights sometimes, to sit there for hours on end.

September 23rd, 2008, 05:53 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi Christine!!! How are ya?

This is probably just a phase, as he learns to feed efficiently his feedings will become faster and more spaced apart. Good to hear you're not having any latch or supply issues though!

Have you tried laying down to nurse yet? It helps if you put a pillow behind baby's back and yours too. I wedge a pillow right under me to keep me comfy.

Get yourself geared up for the 3 week growth spurt !!!
September 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My LO did the same kind of thing... although now that he's a bit older, he doesn't cluster feed quite so much. But, he still spits up 3 or 4 times EVERY time he eats. I keep asking his doc, but she says that as long as he's happy and gaining weight, he's fine... So, since he's the happiest baby I've ever seen and already 18lbs at 5months, I've tried to stop worrying about it... although, I do carry several burp clothes with me at all times!

Thank you Julia (Julka) for my BEAUTIFUL siggy!!
<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
September 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Hi Christine!!! How are ya?

This is probably just a phase, as he learns to feed efficiently his feedings will become faster and more spaced apart. Good to hear you're not having any latch or supply issues though!

Have you tried laying down to nurse yet? It helps if you put a pillow behind baby's back and yours too. I wedge a pillow right under me to keep me comfy.

Get yourself geared up for the 3 week growth spurt !!![/b]
I'm good. I haven't had much time to get on the boards with Dean eating as often as he does. Plus we've had family in town for the past few weeks. They've all finally left.

I have tried a few times laying down, but I have a hard time gettin him to open his mouth wide enough to latch on properly when laying down. Is laying down to feed supposed to be a better position? how do I get him to open his mouth wider? I think my flow is so strong that once my milk lets down, it comes out on its own, so Dean thinks he can just lick it off.

September 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it's just comfy for you (hopefully) and you can even doze while he eats.
September 25th, 2008, 07:56 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
it sounds like a combination of clusterfeeding like the other ladies said and a growth spurt. babies have them at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months ... so the constant nursing is him just upping your milk supply for his growing body's needs. it doesn't mean you aren't producing enough milk, he is just sending the message he wants more i would def suggest a sling, i have a mai tai and though i never used it to nurse i have heard alot of women rave about how great they are for propping the baby in there and nursing them as they cook/clean and take care of their other children. i so plan on baby wearing with the new baby because my almost 3 year old keeps me on my toes constantly and i know i wont have the luxury to sit and nurse all day like i did with her.

September 25th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Gemini7605's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Christine, I'm Lisa mommy to Myah. Just wanted to say congrats on the birth of your son! Keep up the good work, everything you are experiencing is perfectly normal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search