How to pump?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Tinks_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I have pumped a couple of times, but I just can't seem to figure out what's best. I don't want to have to pump all of the time but would like to pump once in a while do dh can feed the lo or maybe I could get a little extra sleep at night. My problem is I will pump off one side and feed off the other but then in a couple of hours both breasts are ready to be relieved. I don't want to have to end up pumping all of the time. What is the best way to build a small supply without having to pump to relieve myself?
BrynLeigh 08/18/08
and bean due 12/18/2010
September 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's really just trial and error. My LO was a one sided eater so when I pumped I would do what you described above. If you need relief, pump off just enough to give you some, but not more. If you are wanting to build up a supply then continue to do as you are decribing. Feed off one side and pump the other side. Then switch feeding pumping sides the next time.

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
September 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
I don't want to really build a big supply just enough for my husband to feed her once in a while. I would like not to have to pump at every feeding if I didn't have to, but once in a while for him to feed her kwim. I am just trying to figure out a way I can do this without being coming engorged when I don't pump.
BrynLeigh 08/18/08
and bean due 12/18/2010
September 23rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would pump 1 hour after the first feeding when building my stash to go back to work and then I would just nurse the rest of the day. My breasts were already used to only nursing so the pumping session I threw in was just extra.

You may engorge for a little while but your body will adjust to the amount your baby needs and then you wont engorge anymore. I rarely engore at all now. I used to get engorged if I went 1 hour past a feeding or pumping session but now I engorge only if it has been around 5 hours between feeding or pumping.

(1)
September 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Thank you, I'll have to try that and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you, I'll have to try that and I'll let you know how it goes.
BrynLeigh 08/18/08
and bean due 12/18/2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search