Back to work...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going back to work next week. My LO will be 8 weeks. What's a good amount of pumped milk to send along for my mom to give him while I'm gone 8.5 hours? I have no idea! Thanks!
September 22nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wasn't sure either when I returned to wrok. I sent more than I needed to just in case until it became apparent what Carter was consuming on average.

I basically send a 9 oz bottle which is heated and he usually finishes this. If he doesn't I discard what is left. I then send an additonal 5 or so ounces in a storage bottle that is kept in the fridge. He occasionally breaks into this stash, but not usually. If he doesn't I just use this stash the next day in the bottle. I also have quite a stockpile in the freezer but have not had to use any of that at this point.

My advice would be to send more until to see how much your LO will eat on average when he is away from you all day. You can instruct your mom to keep it refridgerated and heat up a few onces at a time to minimize waste since once you heat it you can't refridgerate it and use it again.

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
September 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I went back to work after 12 weeks and I usually have around 25 ounces around the house for DH to feed her while I'm at work (8 hour day). I'd err on the side of caution and send at least that much and if it isn't needed it can be used the next day. Good luck

Thank you Gwynbynfoefyn for my fabulous new siggie

September 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The first day I sent (6) 2 oz bottles and then (3) 1 oz bottles. They determined that he preferred a 3 oz bottle so I started sending 3 oz bottles in. I always send 6 bottles because I work an hour away from the daycare and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Plus if there was ever an emergency and I couldnt get to him and someone else had to get him there would be food for him.

He usually only drinks 3 bottles a day. Every now and then he drinks 4 and there has been 2 times that he has actually taken 5 of his bottles. He always ate every 2 hours in the beginning and the lady in his room said he might need more ozs. So about a month after he started daycare I added a half oz and he still ate every 2 hours so I told them that as long as he wasnt still hungry and crying for more after the bottle was gone then he was fine and could eat every two hours if that was what he wanted. So I still send 6 bottles a day with 3.5 ozs in them and he is nearly 5 months old. Also he now lasts like 3-4 hours between bottles now. My milk must have more fat in it now... On the bottles that are left over I mark them use first so that the next day he finishes them. Fresh milk is good for 8 days. On Mondays I rotate stock out of my freezer and send 3 bottles of thawed milk and 3 bottles of fresh that way I know we dont waste any since thawed milk is only good for 24 hours. Everything I pump on Friday goes into the freezer.

HTH and good luck

(1)
September 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
OpheliaLoved's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As a daycare provider, I recommend to parents to send one bottle per every 2-3 hours (how ever often baby eats) +1. Benjamin is probably eating three or four ounces per bottle feeding (I'm going by my own LO) so I would send four or five bottles with at least three ounces each. The +1 is backup in case he is hungrier than usual, or if a bottle spills or leaks, or if he won't take one bottle and it has to be thrown out (I'm sure your mother won't have to be as strict on this as we were in the daycare!)

The first couple of days that Mom is back to work, it is common for Baby's eating and sleeping habits to be a little "off." So don't be surprised if Benjamin wants to do nothing but eat at your mom's house, or if he eats less than usual. Remember, his schedule is taking a big interruption, and it will take a while to adjust. So I wouldn't base what you need to bring on how he does his first week or so! Some mommies really freak out because their child's usually predictable habits start jumping all over the place! Also make sure to communicate well with your mom about how much he takes, because it will keep changing- both the duration between feedings, and the amount at each feeding, and it might not always be the same as when you are at home nursing!

Good luck, and I hope that helps!

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
September 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
3xamommy's Avatar BFing, CDing mom of 3
I just went back to work yesterday and DD who is 7 weeks on Thursday and weighs 10 1/2 lbs now took 10.5oz during the 8 hours I was gone. I'd say send maybe 16oz and then give the daycare a few frozen bags of milk just in case. Good luck!

THANKS *AMBER* FOR MY AWESOME SIGGIE!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search