Any one get pregnant while breastfeeding?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was just curious if it has happened to anyone here. if so, did your symptoms differ from other pregnancies? Thanks in advance.

Mindy

February 28th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Veteran
I'm hoping to get pregnant while breastfeeding. I'm going to start TTC in April, and hopefully my daughter will still be bfing then. I didn't start my menstrual cycle again until she was 8 1/2 months. And it hasn't been as normal as before I was pregnant.
Expecting #2 in October
March 1st, 2005, 08:34 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got pregnant while breastfeeding my first, I don't remember my PG symptoms being any different.

</div>
March 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
A friend of mine did, about 1-2 mo after hers was born. She didn't expect it, I don't think she had expected the one that was breastfeeding already either. Double whammy.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
March 1st, 2005, 09:07 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
My mom got pregnant with me when she was breastfeeding my brother. She said the only thing that happened with her was that her milk went sour and she couldn't nurse my brother any more. Although I don't even know if that is true for all women. My MIL also got pregnant while she was breastfeeding and said her milk went sour as well.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
March 1st, 2005, 02:50 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
I got pregnant with Lily when Grace was still nursing at just over 2.

I got pregnant with this baby while Lily was nursing at just over 2.

If your cycles are normal length and your luteal phase is not short (under 10 days), then you are doing well. Vitamin E and Vitamin B6 are both safe to take while nursing, and can help even out your supply. You can also take the Robitussin with guinefisen in it (DM? regular? I forget) during the time you ovulate to help the mucus down there be more helpful to you. You take it orally as directed (like you had a cold, 3x a day or something) and it thins (?) your mucus everywhere.

Those are 2 things I did when ttc Lily.

This time I didnt do anything, it just happened when we were not trying.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

March 2nd, 2005, 06:49 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage&#39;s_Mommy
FYI, breastmilk does NOT go sour when you are preggo, it simply changes in taste

March 2nd, 2005, 11:30 AM
meandmy5girls's Avatar Super Mommy
I got pregnant with my second, third, and fourth daughter while breastfeeding. Of course DDs were eating solids by then too, but I was still nursing quite often. Not only was I nursing, but we were using BC too! So much for that theory!!

I'm still nursing DD #4, and NOT TTC right now. We'll see, since we weren't "trying" for any of the others!!

Samreen - 10
Mariam - 8
Raabia - 6
Aminah - 4
Yasmeen - 2...and...
Emaan, born 8/10/08; 7 lbs., 11 oz., 19.5 in...born in my Sienna!
</span>

March 2nd, 2005, 01:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks everyone for your replies. I just am not sure what's going on with my body. If I'm not pregnant, I really need to see a doctor because something strange is going on. I'm cramping like crazy but it's not intense.

My husband and I are not currently using birth control other than the pull-out method (and we know that's not exactly 100% effective) Our son, who is six months old, is eating cereal, fruits and veggies for the last month and a half. He still nurses frequently and I pump. I've not seen the return of AF.

Perhaps it's just going to take some adjusting to get my cycles back to normal.

I guess I'll know for sure by the beginning of next week.

March 3rd, 2005, 05:48 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
I got pregnant with Ds, DD#3 and this lil bean while breastfeeding. Xandi was only 6 months when I got pg with ds and I was tandem nursing Xandi and ds when I got pg with dd#3. I was only nursing dd#3 when I got pg wiht this one she was almost a year..

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

March 4th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Veteran
i've never heard of this happening
March 9th, 2005, 11:43 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
i got pregnant when jayden was 18 months old. he was still day and night nursing... i was taking vit b-6 though and that really helped make my lutheal phase longer. good luck! it does happen!
xoxo, Tiffany

March 10th, 2005, 07:03 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have never gotten pregnant till I stopped bfing. But I wasn't really trying either. AF didn't come back till my kids were about a year old.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 10th, 2005, 08:48 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I am still bfing Kiera.

March 11th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Hi mommasboys0204,

I hope you don't mind me asking you a question, but I'm curious about your comment about vitamin B6 and a longer luteal phase. I tried to PM you but it said your box is either full or something...anyway, here goes:

I'm NOT TTC, but I think my last AF had a shorter luteal phase than my others. It was about 10 days according to CM. I could be off, and I probably am,but just curious, is there a link between B6 and luteal phase? BTW, I'm tracking this for Natural Family Planning issues.

I've gotten preggo while BFing three other times. We're thinking about #5 maybe next year; I'll be done BFing by then, but I was curious about the B6 thing. My close friend has VERY short luteal phases and is having a VERY hard time conceiving...any info would be helpful. Thank you!

Samreen - 10
Mariam - 8
Raabia - 6
Aminah - 4
Yasmeen - 2...and...
</span>

March 11th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
Here is just one of the several resources I happened to find when I googled vitamin+B6+luteal :

Luteal Phase Treatment

What is vitamin B6 used for?
B6 is used while TTC to normalize hormonal levels and may increase your LP. The dose is 100 mg once daily. You may want to check with your doctor before taking megadoses of any vitamin.

Here is some info on the Robitussin that I mentioned:
What is Robitussin used for?
Robitussin is a brand name of a product that is based on guaifenesin, an expectorant. There are other guaifenesin based cough syrups also (Equate also has one). It is used in TTC to thin the CM mucus to make it more sperm-friendly. 1-2 tsp. twice daily until ovulation. Make sure the product only contains guaifenesin without added decongestants or antihistamines, which could dry your CM.

I got these last two quotes froma page all about TTC, and it gives some really good insight.

TTC FAQ

I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Wechsler, it is like an owner's manual for the female anatomy!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

March 11th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Cool; I will pass that information on! I hope it helps my friend; unfortunately she has had several miscarriages; she is working with an RE now, but all these little tips can't hurt either!!! Thank you for that information!

I myself have been very fortunate, and I hope I still am in the future...

Samreen - 10
Mariam - 8
Raabia - 6
Aminah - 4
Yasmeen - 2...and...
</span>

March 11th, 2005, 12:12 PM
she pretty much covered it! i dont remember everything about it i know that while i was nursing jayden i had a period from the time he was 3-4 months old and never got pregnant. when i started to chart i saw that my lp was pretty short (7-9 days) and i looked up a lot of making it longer and breastfeeding and ttc and i saw that a lot of moms tried the b-6 and it worked for them. i ended up getting pregnant in 2 months!
xoxo, Tiffany

March 11th, 2005, 12:14 PM
im taking vitex this time btw since it's been said to make more girls. it's kind of like b-6 but more powerful... you really have to be careful while taking it though since it drys up some moms milk. im watching this very careful since i would never switch to formula... but you might want to look that up also. i chart and chat at fertilityfriends.com they have some great advice on this and ttc while breastfeeding message boards.
xoxo, Tiffany

March 11th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks to you too! I will pass the info on to my friend; let's hope it helps her. She's been trying for #2 for about 4.5 years and has had 3 miscarriages... Another question; does this help for those who are NOT breastfeeding? She's not nursing, but does have a very short luteal phase (like 8 days). She also has low progesterone, which her RE said he'll supplement when she conceives next time. She had some uterine surgery to remove endometriosis, a septum, and a fibroid last week, so she has to TTC starting in 3-4 months. Should she try the B6 in the meanwhile? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I feel so bad for her.

Samreen - 10
Mariam - 8
Raabia - 6
Aminah - 4
Yasmeen - 2...and...
</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search