Aspartame and Breastfeeding..

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2009, 09:28 AM
april78's Avatar Super Mommy
I just started Weight Watchers and I love it so far. It is very nursing mom friendly. My only issue is two of my favorite low fat foods(low fat yogurt and crystal light) have aspartame in them and Im a little weary of eating it while breastfeeding. Just what everyone elses opinion is on this...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]Make a pregnancy ticker
September 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
kellymom.com :: Can a nursing mother eat this food?

I drink diet pop regularly, and I know it's not the best thing for me, but I just can't bring myself to drink regular (or give up my pop habit )

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

September 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just lurking, but wanted to comment. You should be leary about consuming aspartame at anytime, not just when breastfeeding. That stuff is evil! It's really not good for you at all. I personally can't even have a 8 oz drink that contains aspartame because I will come down with a migraine within 30 minutes. From my research it is especially harmful to babies/children and the elderly. If I want to avoid real sugar I opt for a natural sweetner such a stevia. Do a google search on aspartame and you will probably be surprised at what ya find.
September 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
Weight Watchers is great aside from the promotion of eating the "light" foods because the real stuff has too many points. I have to agree with the above post only because my grandma almost died from aspertame poisoning..granted that was after years of consuming it but it really isn't good for you. My family does our best to avoid all the "light" and "diet" foods as they have aspertame in them. For us, the extra calories or whatever is worth it to avoid the stuff. I use agave nectar as a sweetner but Stevia is a good one as well.

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

September 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i personally avoid fake sugars and HFCS period. it's just not natural, imo. opt for fruit or fruit sweetened foods. organic light yogurt will be free of fake sugars and HFCS. i will say WW products, especially their breads, are the few without HFCS.

September 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i drink 2 diet cokes/day. i believe in everything in moderation. i don't like coffee, and i crave the taste of diet coke, so it's the small amount of caffeine to get me through the workday.
September 25th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree that artificial (chemical) sweeteners are evil...100% agree...

Stevia and Agave Nectar are both suitable substitutes for sugar. Though they dont come in the things you are wanting.

Soda is evil too, though lol.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 26th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Gobaby1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would absolutley stay away from it.

Also, have you thought about the Core plan vs the flex plan? That way you're eating whole foods?

March 14th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I avoided aspertame while I was pregnant. But aspertame does not cross into the breastmilk. However, if you are a mom of a baby with phenylalanine problems, you should use caution, according to the AMA. It does cause an increase in THAT level, but only after a huge amount of aspertame "17 diet sodas or 100 packets of artificial sweetener".
I get headaches from too much aspertame too, so it comes down to moderation for me. But I'm so happy to have MY light and fit yogurt back and my crystal light.
March 14th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to heartsleeve71
Im on weight watchers too and love it cause of the extra nursing points. I try eating all the low fat, non fat versions so I'll have to look and see if my greek yogurt has it and my nightly ice cream bar. Other than that I eat mostly whole foods so I'm thinking its limited! Anyway, with the extra points and free fruits and veggies you can fill in food to make up for extra points in those things if you careful. Good luck, Since birth I'm down 34 lbs and about a pound a week on weight watchers and not feeling deprived really. I use the extra points for 1 cheat day a week and get all the bad stuff i crave once in a while, lol!
March 14th, 2012, 08:23 AM
miamor
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
Just lurking, but wanted to comment. You should be leary about consuming aspartame at anytime, not just when breastfeeding. That stuff is evil! It's really not good for you at all. I personally can't even have a 8 oz drink that contains aspartame because I will come down with a migraine within 30 minutes. From my research it is especially harmful to babies/children and the elderly. If I want to avoid real sugar I opt for a natural sweetner such a stevia. Do a google search on aspartame and you will probably be surprised at what ya find.

ditto.

i cant have any artificial sweeteners at all because of terrible migraines. they are not natural at all.
March 14th, 2012, 06:43 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agree with the above. DH is addicted to diet coke. It actually makes me worried because I think it's really bad for you. I don't know whether it gets in the breastmilk though. Maybe I'm biased because it tastes awful to me!!

Thank you Vicki!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search