No period yet but strange cramping and discharge

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2009, 06:02 PM
~Mindy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all! I'm sorry if this is not the right forum for this question, but I couldn't find one that seemed more appropriate.

Malachi is nearing 11 months old. He's still nursing several times a day. I have not had my first period since he was born yet, which is unusual for me. I nursed all 3 of my other children and got my period between 6-9 months postpartum.

For the last 3 months I have had mild cramping on and off. In the last 2 weeks the cramping has become a daily occurrence and it's accompanied by a mucous discharge (similar to discharge that I had while I was pregnant).

I keep thinking that my body is just preparing for the first postpartum cycle, but after so long I'm beginning to worry that maybe something's wrong. Has anyone had a similar experience?

September 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd guess you're getting ready to ovulate, and the discharge is probably cervical mucous.
Cervical Mucous, Cervical Position and Ovulation

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
October 1st, 2009, 07:14 AM
wishfulgal
My son is 8 months old and I've been having cramping and cervical fluid on and off for months now. I assume it is my body attempting to gear up to ovulate, but I still haven't had AF yet. I've read that while Bfing your body can make numerous attempts to ovulate before it succeeds.

HTH
October 1st, 2009, 08:32 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like ovulation or pg....take a HPT I say.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm no help, Alex is almost 8 months and still no AF, lots of cramping here and there but that's it.

October 12th, 2009, 07:32 AM
~Mindy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the replies ladies. I still don't know what's going on. Had a break from the cramps for a few days but now they're back, along with sore nipples. It's a bit painful at times to nurse. I'm not sure what's causing that. I took a HPT this weekend and it looked like there may be the faintest of lines but I think it was just an evap. DH says I'm moody and hormonal. I think my body is just trying to get back on a regular cycle and causing weird symptoms. I hope it ends soon!

October 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sore nipples can be from pregnancy, but they could also be because of horomone changes during your cycle (or teething). It wouldn't hurt to take another HPT and if it's negative, then chalk it up to your body getting back into the swing of things for now.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
October 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it sounds like you need to test again.
October 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hello, I'm a new mummy with a four month old daughter - across the pond and brand new to this forum - was just wandering whether you had found the answer to your problem yet?
I am bfding and have not had my period yet either, but this week I've been feeling decidedly weird - a bit nauseous, moody and hormonal, some discharge, and REALLY SORE NIPPLES whilst nursing...
should I also do a hpt??? I didn't even consider this until I read these posts.
Arghhh!
I don't wanna panic... I definitely do want more babies but PLEASE NOT YET!!!! Although there's no question I would carry on with pregnancy, I'm a little nervous of going through it all again so soon. Somebody please tell me not to worry!

Nat
October 29th, 2009, 11:00 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattly View Post
Hello, I'm a new mummy with a four month old daughter - across the pond and brand new to this forum - was just wandering whether you had found the answer to your problem yet?
I am bfding and have not had my period yet either, but this week I've been feeling decidedly weird - a bit nauseous, moody and hormonal, some discharge, and REALLY SORE NIPPLES whilst nursing...
should I also do a hpt??? I didn't even consider this until I read these posts.
Arghhh!
I don't wanna panic... I definitely do want more babies but PLEASE NOT YET!!!! Although there's no question I would carry on with pregnancy, I'm a little nervous of going through it all again so soon. Somebody please tell me not to worry!

Nat
If it makes you feel better I had a ton of pg scares due to symptoms those first several months after I had my son....and I was NOT pg. I think testing is ALWAYS a good idea if you are wondering - but all those things CAN be normal!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Snowpeas
The symptoms can be from your body trying to get back in the swing of things. It can take several months for you body to actually be able to cycle, and it can be trying the whole time.

It could always mean your pg also (I wish the symptoms weren't the same - it always confuses me, lol), please KUP
February 25th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Hi, I see that these posts were many years ago, but just wondering if there has been any feedback since then? My daughter is 4.5 months old and I've been having light cramping pretty consistently for about 2 months, and now it's pretty much every day... Still no period yet, so I was getting concerned that something might be wrong - Is it normal??
May 1st, 2017, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliemommy View Post
Hi, I see that these posts were many years ago, but just wondering if there has been any feedback since then? My daughter is 4.5 months old and I've been having light cramping pretty consistently for about 2 months, and now it's pretty much every day... Still no period yet, so I was getting concerned that something might be wrong - Is it normal??
Glad I found this post, baby is 11 months and haven't had any bleeding since she was born. have been tender and feeling the same way I felt with both pregnancies for 2 weeks now, took a pt which was negative so I thought something must be wrong as it's turned into nasty cramping but reading the comments here sounding so similar is a relief so hoping it's just my body getting back into cycling.
June 13th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Hi. I wondered if you ever started your period or if anything came of this for you? My son turned 2 in April. I still breastfeed and haven't started my period. I too have had weird cramping, increased discharge, some other weird symptoms for the past few weeksand just assume it's my period or ovulation trying to start. Thanks
July 16th, 2017, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliemommy View Post
I just wondered what happened for you? My son is 5 months exclusively breastfed and been cramping for 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search