5 ways to involve yoru partner in BFing

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2005, 08:08 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
5 Ways to Involve Your Partner in Breastfeeding

By Jessica Hartshorn
Make life easier for yourself and let him in on some baby bonding.

It could be the one bummer of breastfeeding: It's not easy for Dad to help with feedings when Mom's got the goods. But you can still get him involved, making life easier for yourself and letting him in on some of the baby bonding.

1. He can bring the baby to you. Big deal, right? It may sound like a minor contribution, but when baby is up every few hours all night long, you will be seriously grateful if your partner gets out of bed and brings that little bundle to you. It saves your back a few minutes of strain, and gives you a feeling of camaraderie -- the whole family is up together.

2. He can burp baby afterward. To prevent gas and other digestive troubles, you should pat or rub baby's back for five or 10 minutes after a feeding, You won't always get a burp, but you frequently will. If you've been up breastfeeding for half an hour already, being able to pass the baby to your partner so you can go back to sleep will be a blessing.

3. Have him give the occasional bottle. You may find yourself with extra milk, especially in the morning, Pump and save it, and let your husband give it to baby in a bottle. (While he does so, you'll probably have to pump again, but that's okay.) Baby might be fascinated by the fact that Dad's doing the feeding, and your husband will probably like being able to provide the milk once in a while.

4. Ask him to massage your back or feet while you nurse. This is SuperDad territory! But seriously, your husband would probably be happy to help you feel better. Just tell him what you'd like him to do -- men can't read minds. Some nursing moms find that they don't want to be touched, and that's okay. Perhaps he can bring you a glass of water, put a pillow behind you, offer you a magazine, turn on the radio, or provide whatever else you need to feel comfy.

5. Get him involved with solid-food feeding. Some breastfeeding moms get so used to being in charge of meals that they keep right on running the show once baby is on solids. But introducing solids is a great time to get Dad in the act -- he's just as capable as you at wielding a spoon of rice cereal.[/b]

March 5th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Veteran
This would have been so helpful for me when I first had my baby. In the early weeks I felt so overwhelmed at times. I'll have to print it out to share with DH for when we have our second baby. Thanks.
Expecting #2 in October
March 7th, 2005, 09:21 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Brenda2005@Mar 6 2005, 05:34 AM
That's exactly what my dh did to be involved with our last baby..a lot of mothers don't breastfeed because they feel bad that the father is not involved..i'm sorry but my baby will be receiving the best and dad can do other things for it as a father
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I agree! I have been very blessed to have such a supportive spouse who wanted to be so well educated on the subject. He even educates his Dad-to-be friends! I didn't realize how lucky I was, but now I don't take it for granted!!!

</div>
March 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another one would be to have him change the baby for you I know that the first few weeks are going to be hard for DH, so we've already made it clear that he gets to change the baby into "day" clothes and get sto give it a bath on the weekend (he works from 2pm-11pm everyday so he'll miss bedtime altogether!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search