OT but interesting

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2005, 09:26 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At would age would you allow/feel comfortable with your child:

sleeping over at a friend's house (you know the parent(s) well)? If I knew the parents really well, I would leave it up to my child. When they felt they were ready, I'd let them go.

sleeping over at a friend's house (you don't know the parent(s) well)?I would never let my kids stay anywhere if I didn't know the parents well.

getting his/her ears pierced? I would like them to at least be in the 6th grade before they made that decision

getting a body piercing? I"d have a hard time "letting" them have piercings because of the scarring, so they'd probably have to wait until they are 18.

getting a tattoo?Never, see above.

dying his/her hair a "normal" color? (red, black, brown, blonde, etc)I would try and advise against it as long as possible, but if they are adament about it, high school

dying his/her hair an "abornormal" color? (pink, blue, green, purple, etc) IF it's not against school rules, Jr. High- how funny that I'd be more lenient on that, lol.

having a cell phone or pager? Pagers are a waste, lol. I might let them have a cell phone IF they were a really responsible High School student who had a job or something.

driving? Depends on the maturity. This is going to be a difficult time, since we won't know if Anika will ever be able to drive, so there's going to be a lot of jealousy there if she can't.

taking public transportation? I'm not really sure of what Public Transport. is like in Upstate NY (where we are moving) yet, so we'll see. Probably not until 18 or so though. IF we were here in Southern CA- NEVER!

wearing clothes you don't approve of? (& would you buy them or have them pay for them)? As long as they are living at my house, they will wear clothes that I approve of- as far as sexuality. IF they want to dress "wierd" they can.

having a drink at home/family function/etc? Not we feel they've reached adult maturity.

</div>
March 8th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to QueBuscuit
At would age would you allow/feel comfortable with your child:

sleeping over at a friend's house (you know the parent(s) well)? Around 5-8... depending on her maturity and ability to respect other people's rules and houses.

sleeping over at a friend's house (you don't know the parent(s) well)?never

getting his/her ears pierced? she would have to be old enough to ask her self and to be able to take care of them herself... so that's another around 5-8

getting a body piercing? both my husband and I have body piercings... they are very temporary. so i would let her do it at whatever age it is legal for her to do it... bw 15-18.

getting a tattoo?my husband and I also have tattoos (my husbands arms are covered with full sleeves)... more permanant, so we know the drawbacks and the perks... i would say she has to be 18. if she wants one before then, it has to be really significant and timeless. we are kinda tattoo "snobs" and we dont like distasteful and trendy tattoos and it would be hard to see one on our kid.

dying his/her hair a "normal" color? (red, black, brown, blonde, etc) whenver... its no big deal

dying his/her hair an "abornormal" color? (pink, blue, green, purple, etc) whenever she wants. hair grows back. i had a friend who let her daughter dye her hair pink and everyone gave her so much crap about it. in case you dont know... thos eabnormal hair colors are made with vegitable dyes and they are not harmful to inhale or get on your skin... plus they wash out after 3 weeks. its a fun thing for kids to do over the summer or whatever.

having a cell phone or pager? whever they can afford to pay for it themselves(highschool).

driving? looks to me like the laws around the country are pretty much trying to prohibit teen driving.. we may have to haul her ***** everywhere till shes 41.

taking public transportation? in atlanta, kids take marta to school in the mornings by midde school. shes not going to public school, but i have seen those kids do it, and i did it myself, so about 12 or 13 is good.

wearing clothes you don't approve of? (& would you buy them or have them pay for them)? the only thing i dont approve of is stuff that shows boobs or butt. and as for her father (the preacher man) i am sure he will never let her out of the house unless she is covered from head to toe...but i know that styles always change, and i already dress "wierd" so se cant get any worse than i have already done... i'd even let her wear something from abercrombie (makes me cringe-no offense)... just nothing slutty.

having a drink at home/family function/etc? my husband and I feel that america has given a negative connotation to alcohol for too long and as a result children in america think the only way to drink responsibly is to not drink.... we disagree. so the best way to learn is to drink responsibly with your parents. we already and will continue to serve wine at dinner (watered down for the kid when she gets old enough--old enough would be whenever she asks to try it). as for liquor and harder drinks... lets reserve that for highschool. we never advocate getting drunk. never. B)
DD: NEVAEH ARIEL: BORN ON SEPT. 15, 2004

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search