Best (fastest!) way to heal cracked nipples?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2010, 08:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Me again

What have you ladies found is the best way to heal cracked nipples? I am currently pumping to feed DD and I really really want to start BF again asap. In my other thread, people suggested putting BM on them and letting them dry, so I've been doing that and then using Lansinoh Lanolin and using a breast shell to keep my clothes off of them. That keeps them moist, is that better than letting them dry out?

Thank you again!

January 1st, 2010, 08:32 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
No, it's best to let them dry...If you can, go without a shirt (or at least a bra) and let them air out for a little while each day (at least until your problems go away). That and the lanolin, are what helped me! Hope they start feeling better!

January 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had a cracked nipple except from thrush...but I do agree that drying them out often seems to help more than keeping them moist. With thrush I found that olive oil healed my cracks faster than anything else. For pain relief though you can see if you can find hydrogel pads - often they have to be ordered online though. They are supposed to be the fastest (and most comfortable) way to heal a nipple cracked by issues with early nursing.
Nursing Pads and Hydrogel Breast Discs - FREE Sample with Email - Free Product Samples
Here is a way to get the hydrogel discs for free...but I am not sure how long it takes to arrive.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
goingonfive's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if you have a CVS near you they sell Soothies gel pads and they helped me a ton!!!

Amazon.com: Soothies Gel Pads for Nursing Moms: Baby

January 1st, 2010, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved the lansinoh. I put it on every morning and night and as needed. It helped me pretty quickly.

Loving my newest siggie from Dakota's Mom!

January 1st, 2010, 05:20 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I kept the lansinoh in the pocket of my breastfeeding pillow and used it after every nursing session. Beware, though, it leaves oil stains on clothes. I didn't realize that for about a week til I did laundry for the first time. By then, all the tops that fit me were stained.
January 1st, 2010, 06:00 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_MD View Post
I kept the lansinoh in the pocket of my breastfeeding pillow and used it after every nursing session. Beware, though, it leaves oil stains on clothes. I didn't realize that for about a week til I did laundry for the first time. By then, all the tops that fit me were stained.
Try soaking them in Mule Team Borax (available in your laundry aisle) and when I say soak - I mean like for 24 hrs..then wash. It seemed to work for me. I learned this trick when I was doing massage & my oils were constantly spotting my sheets.

You can pretreat Lansinoh stains with Dawn dish detergent because it helps break down grease & lanolin is a grease.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I recommend Nipple Butter by EarthMama AngelBaby...

The first couple of days of BFing my nipples were raw... I applied Nipple Butter and the next day they were good to go and haven't had a problem since!
January 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, use your own milk and air dry! The Soothies helped me a lot with my first DD when I had really bad cracks. If you have a Motherhood near you, you should be able to find them there and I think Target also sells them.

Honestly, your best bet is to continue nursing and they will heal. I know it hurts, but pumping exclusively will not be very good for your supply this early. I also found that pumping seemed to open up my cracks much easier than my baby nursing. If you wait until your cracks are completely healed to start nursing again, sadly, it will probably be too late. It may take a few weeks for them to heal completely, but you should see some major improvement in about a week if you use some of the suggestions above.

Hang in there mama, and you can do this!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search